EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 May 2013, 01:04 AM   #31
aleinss

Some people (like me) don't like change. I haven't seen any increase in spam. The service is rock solid and until it stops being so, I'm sticking with Tuffmail. You can't beat $2.33/month for the kind of controls you get on your e-mail.

Also, there's plenty of communication: http://status.tuffmail.net/
aleinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 02:46 AM   #32
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleinss View Post
... Also, there's plenty of communication: http://status.tuffmail.net/
Those are simply maintenance and outage reports. I was expecting more communication like planned improvements such as iOS access to the account manager, more disk space to be competitive with other paid providers, following through with the list of improvements the previous owner thought were necessary, the company's vision and philosophy, etc.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 10:17 AM   #33
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Those are simply maintenance and outage reports. I was expecting more communication like planned improvements such as iOS access to the account manager, more disk space to be competitive with other paid providers, following through with the list of improvements the previous owner thought were necessary, the company's vision and philosophy, etc.
totally agree.
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2013, 04:30 AM   #34
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Pardon my ignorance since I've never used Tuffmail, but what exactly does iOS access to the account manager mean? Isn't it just a web interface?
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2013, 02:07 PM   #35
William9
The "e" in e-mail

The Tuffmail account manager (settings, spam filters, white lists, user names, deliveries, etc) is web-based, but if the user attempts to navigate that site with Safari or Chrome on an iPAD for example, many of the buttons and links do not work. As I recall, the user cannot even gain access by entering his username and password. It just doesn't work. You have to use a browser on a PC or Mac OS. Some of us travel with only an iPAD. The Tuffmail account manager site does not respond to iOS with one of its browsers.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 02:51 AM   #36
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
The Tuffmail account manager (settings, spam filters, white lists, user names, deliveries, etc) is web-based, but if the user attempts to navigate that site with Safari or Chrome on an iPAD for example, many of the buttons and links do not work. As I recall, the user cannot even gain access by entering his username and password. It just doesn't work. You have to use a browser on a PC or Mac OS. Some of us travel with only an iPAD. The Tuffmail account manager site does not respond to iOS with one of its browsers.
Oh, that seems odd. I find my iPad quite handy and have never done anything special one way or the other with my web-based interfaces to make it usable in my iPad. So it struck me as an odd problem to have.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2013, 07:48 AM   #37
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethM View Post
Oh, that seems odd. I find my iPad quite handy and have never done anything special one way or the other with my web-based interfaces to make it usable in my iPad. So it struck me as an odd problem to have.
Try the menu options on the top row of the homepage on your iPad You'll see it won't work. I think this site hasn't been modified in 10 years.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2013, 10:32 PM   #38
tknterry

He's right. The top row of menu options won't work on an iPad.
tknterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2013, 09:27 AM   #39
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknterry View Post
He's right. The top row of menu options won't work on an iPad.
Why does this happen? Don't Safari and Chrome work the same in iOS as on any device?
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2013, 09:49 AM   #40
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I notice that tuffmail and another squirrel mail powered service will not display images. In settings there is an option to check to display images. This option can be checked but stil images will not be displayed. Large error message says" images not displayed for safety reasons or something like that" I receive many emails from family members etc with images taken on vacations etc. I desire to view them but alas not possible .
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2013, 04:43 PM   #41
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I notice that tuffmail and another squirrel mail powered service will not display images. In settings there is an option to check to display images. This option can be checked but stil images will not be displayed. Large error message says" images not displayed for safety reasons or something like that" I receive many emails from family members etc with images taken on vacations etc. I desire to view them but alas not possible .
Unfortunately I don't have Tuffmail/Squirrelmail anymore, but I know you can change that somewhere in settings/options. Don't be afraid to try something out as long as you know what you did.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2013, 06:13 PM   #42
zinneken

First off, Tuffmail IMHO is by far the most reliable email provider I've had through the years.

Yes, it is lacking "modern" features: iOS supported pages/interfaces and more disk space are the two features that have been promised by Derek over and over ever since he took over Tuffmail.

Yes, looking at those modern features others are advertising on makes Tuffmail look very expensive, not to say totally uncompetitive.

But in my case, every time I tried another email service because I felt I needed iOS and space it has cost me time, effort and money, only to keep Tuffmail in the end and find alternative solutions for iOS and backup space.

Tuffmail is a kind of "last of the mohicans" service from an era where people believed things should work, be highly secure and be fully customisable before being fashionable, sexy and generous.

John Capo built a rock solid service, Derek took over and hasn't changed anything. My guess is the brains left the new guy a challenge to keep the security, reliability and customisability in sync with modern era expectations, and that Derek is not the guy up to that task.

By the way, anyone knows what John went on doing?
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2013, 07:32 PM   #43
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
By the way, anyone knows what John went on doing?
I've been wondering that myself. Perhaps someone could ask Derek (whom I assume knows the answer to that question)?
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2013, 04:30 AM   #44
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
Why does this happen? Don't Safari and Chrome work the same in iOS as on any device?
No. When designing a website, there are browser and platform differences. Some are subtle. Nowadays, the site developer must test for proper function with different browsers and different platforms.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 04:39 AM   #45
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
... Yes, it is lacking "modern" features: iOS supported pages/interfaces and more disk space are the two features that have been promised by Derek over and over ever since he took over Tuffmail ... John Capo built a rock solid service, Derek took over and hasn't changed anything. My guess is the brains left the new guy a challenge to keep the security, reliability and customisability in sync with modern era expectations, and that Derek is not the guy up to that task ...
At some point, the service will be broken unless it keeps up by making those necessary changes.