EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 11 Aug 2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Ceramic

Rackspace vs Polarismail

How do the two services compare?

Polarismail has the following in its basic account:

Quote:
Catchall, Lists & Aliases

A Catchall lets you capture all e-mails destined for non-existing users and redirect them to the mailbox of your choice.

Aliases enable you to create valid e-mail addresses that forward to a real mailbox on the server or remotely.
How would a catchall work? I sign up for mu@rackspace.com, which email addresses can I catch?

Also aliases - does this mean I get to create other email addresses, eg mufoo@rackspace.com, and emails sent to this address will get delivered to by account?

Also, does Rackspace offer aliases?

Last edited by Ceramic : 11 Aug 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Ceramic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Aug 2013, 03:40 PM   #2
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

AFAIK those features are primarily intended for people who bring their own domains. So you'd get a large number of aliases at your own domain, as well as a catch-all for all mail arriving at your own domain.

You might or might not be allowed to use the service provider's domain -- Polarismail seems to allow this to some extent, though not with polarismail.com -- but since it's not your domain, what you can do with it is obviously going to be strictly limited. I can't imagine that they would allow all mail arriving at one of their domains to be directed to your account, because that would prevent all their other customers from using that domain.

If you bring your own domain, Rackspace also allows you to create aliases on that domain. Not sure about catch-all.

Last edited by kijinbear : 11 Aug 2013 at 04:52 PM.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
ankupan
Cornerstone of the Community

Rackspace is one of best service and I am with them from day one when they were webmail.us

their email hosting is best and it has everything whatever you need.

they have alias management too. I have one domain where I have more than 20 alias on it.
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Cory
Essential Contributor

Both services will allow catchalls and aliases. Both will also allow you to setup a filter to redirect email sent to a particular alias into a folder.

Hope this helps!
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Ceramic

Thanks everyone.

Anyone take advantage of Polarismails fastmail promotion?

Quote:
For each Enhanced account that you purchase, you will receive a free Basic account

Features of enhanced account:

File Storage & Document Editing
Each user receives an additional 5GB of storage space as his personal Webdrive. Data on the Webdrive can be shared with other users and it also allows for document editing & version control.
So, for $2 a month, you essentially get a 5GB storage space webdrive with version control, plus two 25GB email accounts.

Rackspace gives one email account for $1 a month with discount.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucalculus View Post
Thanks everyone.

Anyone take advantage of Polarismails fastmail promotion?

So, for $2 a month, you essentially get a 5GB storage space webdrive with version control, plus two 25GB email accounts.

Rackspace gives one email account for $1 a month with discount.
Don't forget though for Rackspace you have a $10 minimum order per month, whereas you do not have that with Polarismail.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 11:18 AM   #7
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Don't forget though for Rackspace you have a $10 minimum order per month, whereas you do not have that with Polarismail.
I think, though not 100% sure, you could get a $5 minimum if you use the Spiceworks discount. Granted that doesn't include activesync (additional $1/month/mailbox) but you get 5 mailboxes. Still more $$ than Polarismail though for single mailboxes.
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Ceramic

Quote:
I didnt know about that.

The 10 or 5$ minimum per month rules out rackspace for me.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlo306 View Post
I think, though not 100% sure, you could get a $5 minimum if you use the Spiceworks discount. Granted that doesn't include activesync (additional $1/month/mailbox) but you get 5 mailboxes. Still more $$ than Polarismail though for single mailboxes.
Things may have changed but when I was using Rackspace the min order was $10 regardless if discount was applied or not.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 04:50 PM   #10
zinneken

Rackspace seems overkill for the needs you describe.

From my very bad experience with Polarismail I'd advise against it, many people are happy using this service though.
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
From my very bad experience with Polarismail I'd advise against it, many people are happy using this service though.
What bad experience?
Old 13 Aug 2013, 06:28 PM   #12
petergh
Master of the @

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=65241
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2013, 04:00 AM   #13
Cory
Essential Contributor

For what you need you could even find a webhosting account and the basic filters would be able to achieve what you want. Just make sure you find a really reliable one that cares not only about the websites hosted but the email side of things to.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 06:18 AM   #14
Ceramic

Quote:
For what you need you could even find a webhosting account and the basic filters would be able to achieve what you want. Just make sure you find a really reliable one that cares not only about the websites hosted but the email side of things to.
Yes, I am looking at Gandi's Domain name registering service. They provide an email account.
Old 22 Feb 2020, 12:13 AM   #15
ivarp

This is very good topic. Polarismail and Rackspace are 2 best services at all. Rackspace is better, but cost more, minimum 10$. The best part of Rackspace (compared with Polarismail):
1) envelope-from (SMTP MAIL FROM) is always the same as mailbox main address. This allows to set any From address and SPF is still correct, because you have SPF record in your nameserver, in your domain, to allow Rackspace sending mails out.......Polarismail sets envelope-from the same as you set into From. And this means SPF dont fit anymore.
2) DKIM ready. Polarismail is not.
3) Migration tool that works also as one directional synchronization.

Polarismail font is little better but this dont mean Rackspace is ugly. Polarismail have folder sharing, Rackspace dont. Polarismail have possibility to include external IMAP mailboxes as additional folders in mailbox. Altough you can copy mails between those mailboxes, the mails date dont preserver and its not good idea for copy.
ivarp is offline   Reply With Quote