EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 10 Aug 2018, 06:32 AM   #1
artmanphoto

No Trash Folder In New Gmail Account

I have 3 gmail accounts - 2 that are several years old and a new IMAP account that I created 3 days ago.

When I log into the new IMAP account on the Gmail.com website the Trash folder is missing. When I log into the other 2 older accounts the Trash folder is there.

On the new account I have gone into Settings and double checked my IMAP settings and they are good. I clicked on the Labels tab and there is no Trash folder. There is a Bin folder which appears to contain the emails that I have deleted.

The account appears to be working but there is no Trash folder. Does anyone know how I can get the Trash folder to display?

Thanks for your help! Bill
artmanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Aug 2018, 07:09 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

If you are using the new version of Gmail on the web can you find the Trash folder by selecting the down arrow labeled "More" in the label list to the left? Upon further research, I believe this is due to the language you have chosen in the General settings. "Bin" means Trash. Using U.S. English I see "Trash." If I switch to UK English, I see "Bin."
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2018, 10:39 AM   #3
artmanphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
If you are using the new version of Gmail on the web can you find the Trash folder by selecting the down arrow labeled "More" in the label list to the left? Upon further research, I believe this is due to the language you have chosen in the General settings. "Bin" means Trash. Using U.S. English I see "Trash." If I switch to UK English, I see "Bin."
TenFour -

You are correct!! I would have never looked for US English. I set the language to US English and the Trash folder appeared! Since I created the new gmail account 3 days ago this issue wasn't there when I created my other gmails accounts a year ago.

Thanks very much for your help. Bill
Old 11 Aug 2018, 10:41 PM   #4
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Good day artmanphoto and TenFour.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a GMail IMAP account?

Thank you.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2018, 12:58 AM   #5
artmanphoto

Hi Jacinto -

There are actually two types of email accounts - IMAP and POP3. IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol and POP3 stands for Post Office Protocol version 3.

IMAP is considered the more modern account to use especially if you have your email on multiple devices i.e. a computer, iPad and smartphone. With IMAP the email messages are stored on the Gmail, Yahoo, etc. server not on each device. The email message appears on each device and and when you delete the message on one device it is deleted on all of your devices because the message was stored on the email provider's server.

POP3 stores the email messages on each one of your devices, not on the email provider's server. If you delete a message on your computer it still appears on your iPad and smartphone, etc. If you have email setup on 3 devices and you want to delete the email message you must delete it in your email package on each of the devices.

I use IMAP because I have my email client software installed on my computer, iPhone and iPad. When I delete a message on one device it is removed from all the other devices because the message is stored on the Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. mail server.

I hope this answers your questions.

Bill
Old 13 Aug 2018, 02:41 AM   #6
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Thank you, Bill.

I actually wasn't asking for a definition of IMAP (or POP3).

In my experience, all (free) GMail accounts are the same. Apparently, you choose to call your new one a "GMail IMAP" account because you access it with an IMAP client.

By the way, like most Google offerings, GMail's IMAP servers are not fully standards compliant, but work more or less O.K. depending on the IMAP client.

Google Voice just converted to VoIP, but, again, its VoIP version of not fully standards compliant either.

Google, like Microsoft before it, doesn't seem to be bothered by not complying with standards.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2018, 03:43 AM   #7
artmanphoto

Thanks, the reason why I referred to my IMAP account as a Gmail IMAP is so people that read my post would realize I was using Gmail instead of Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.

Bill