EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Oct 2017, 04:05 AM   #1
Dane

Use of alias with Apple Mail

I'm new to FastMail, so please bear with me as I ask a probably simple question.

I have a few aliases set up in FM to use with different groups of recipients. If I compose an email using the FM web app, my desired alias shows up in the "from" area when the message is received. That is great.

But I've been in the habit of using the MacOS Mail program on my iMac for most of my email activity. FM works flawlessly with the Mail program in general, except for one thing. If the recipient clicks on my name in the received message, it shows the main FM account email I used for setting up FM on Mac Mail. It doesn't show the alias address I am trying to send the email from.

I realize that any shortcoming is probably with the Mail app rather than with FM, but is there any way around this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks !
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Oct 2017, 08:45 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Welcome to the forums!

To resolve this, you need to set up the aliases in the Mail app as well as in FastMail. See https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19136?locale=en_US for details.

It is inevitable when using a mail client from a provider other than the one providing the mail server that functionality not the subject of standards (and mail aliases are a good example) will need to be handled separately on the client and server sides. The same issue exists when using multiple different mail clients. It is undesirable because the settings can lose synchronization. As I have indicated, this could only be resolved by a standard (formal or evolved) followed by the server and clients.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2017, 01:26 PM   #3
Dane

Talking

Thanks so much BritTim - exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try.

Cheers !
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2017, 03:12 AM   #4
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

I know that this thread's already been answered, but I have another potential (and easier-to-use) solution for you. Since I have hundreds of domain email addresses, having to pre-create them in mail clients is a royal PiTA. In order to solve that dilemma, I've been using Thunderbird with the Virtual Identity extension on my Mac for years. The extension automatically detects and replies with the email address that any given email was sent to. It also provides the ability to specify, on-the-fly, custom outgoing From/Reply-To: addresses.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote