EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Sep 2006, 07:46 AM   #16
Shelded

It's not necessary to move all your DNS to ZE. It's not real easy to see this, almost couldn't find it myself.

At NameCheap: Left menu bar has "Host Management" -- click "All Host Records"
Choose the item in the right pane "Mail Settings -- User" and enter zoneedit's MX servers.

At Zoneedit they don't need your NS records but I don't recall exactly how that part of the setup goes.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2006, 07:53 AM   #17
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by Shazzer
Just when I *thought* I knew what I was doing!

So now I'm REALLY confused. Are you saying that I only need to move my MX records to zoneedit? What's the advantage of that over relocating the DNS (other than the lengthy propogation issue)?
Yes, I'm saying that. The advantage is as you say. The update should be fast and the interface at Namecheap is good. If you wish to use DNS at ZE later you could probably relocate and never drop a thing since the MX would already be at ZE.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 11:44 AM   #18
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

I emailed ZoneEdit recently, they don't provide MX services separately, it's all or nothing for their DNS. Here's their quote:

Quote:
We do not host emails. With ZoneEdit, you can set up your domain to use any mailserver you want.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2006, 01:37 PM   #19
Shelded

They don't host email but they have mail forwarding which is a mail exchanger record. That's what we're talking about.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 01:41 PM   #20
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelded
They don't host email but they have mail forwarding which is a mail exchanger record. That's what we're talking about.
But you can't point your MX record at ZE (and then forward your mail) you have to move your Nameservers to ZE in order to do that.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2006, 05:57 PM   #21
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I point my mx records to zoneedit from GoDaddy I then forward my mail to Fastmail and mailsnare. So far this is working ok but I'm only testing an old domain.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2006, 06:08 PM   #22
Shazzer
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by jtfast
Yeah, doesn't zoneedit require you to move dns records to them to add a zone to use their mail forwarding?

Jeff
That's my understanding, too, Jeff. In any case, my new namecheap-registered domain e-mail is now forwarding to both my FM Full account and my GMail back-up, so I'm a happy camper.
Shazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2006, 11:13 PM   #23
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
I point my mx records to zoneedit from GoDaddy I then forward my mail to Fastmail and mailsnare. So far this is working ok but I'm only testing an old domain.
And you keep your NS records at Go Daddy? Or did you move those to ZE also?
Old 9 Sep 2006, 11:18 PM   #24
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
You do Terry? Please see Spoon69's post (a couple of posts above yours) as I would like clarification on this.

Possibly my earlier post was incorrect.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2006, 12:06 AM   #25
Shelded

Quote:
And you keep your NS records at Go Daddy? Or did you move those to ZE also?
ok, I have set up a domain to do this and although I set it up OK Zoneedit thinks it is trying to relay so it 554 rejects. All I can see is it's because I didn't give them the NS, they think they're waiting for it to transfer. I'll poke around and see if I have another one doing this OK.

Meanwhile, moving your NS to ZE is obviously what they intended but you give up the nice NameCheap panel.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 12:24 AM   #26
jtfast

Does anyone know if you have to move your ns to mydomain to use their email forwarding service?

Jeff

Quote:

Meanwhile, moving your NS to ZE is obviously what they intended but you give up the nice NameCheap panel.
jtfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2006, 01:21 AM   #27
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by jtfast
Does anyone know if you have to move your ns to mydomain to use their email forwarding service?

Jeff
"Have to" I have not played with. But they clearly tell you to set FOUR NS records pointed to them so I have never played around that requirement.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 02:06 AM   #28
Shazzer
Essential Contributor

Quote:
"Have to" I have not played with. But they clearly tell you to set FOUR NS records pointed to them so I have never played around that requirement.
And isn't it the case that 4 NS records are better than 2? ZoneEdit indicates 99.9% uptime on two servers, which is fine for my needs. But had I known about this earlier I might have gone with mydomain to handle my forwarding.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 02:26 AM   #29
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by Shazzer
And isn't it the case that 4 NS records are better than 2? ZoneEdit indicates 99.9% uptime on two servers, which is fine for my needs. But had I known about this earlier I might have gone with mydomain to handle my forwarding.
Don't worry about it. ZE is more reliable than MD and both will have occasional downtime. The number of NS appears to be because MD does some sort of rolling downtime (there's only one answering at any time). ZE does something similar. I don't want to go into the technology of these things or speculate why one is better than the other. Proof of the pudding is in the eating and ZE is somewhat more reliable overall.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 07:16 AM   #30
Shazzer
Essential Contributor

Good to know. Thanks for all your help (and patience) on this issue Shelded!