EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Sep 2006, 09:21 AM   #31
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelded
And you keep your NS records at Go Daddy? Or did you move those to ZE also?
sorry I got confused....I just change my ns to point to zoneedit, then they forward my mail....I have used zoneedit before but they occasionally have the odd server go down but of course they do have a back up.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2006, 10:05 PM   #32
schleng1

I am getting confused.
I have an enhanced account with FM. I would like to buy my own domain name. I was going to buy it from Namecheap, and possibly have the MX records pointed to FM so that mail sent to this new domain would be received at FM. I was going to set this up to go to my xxx@fm.net email address at FM. Then I was going to forward to gmail.
Is this the same as Namecheap forwarding that is referred to here as being flaky? Or when you point your mx records to your own domain at FM this is not considered forwarding but something different?
One more question...I think I will be going this mentioned route, but does anyone know what kind of delays there are if one uses Pobox and has Pobox actually "forward" your mail to let's say FM and gmail?
Confused...thanks.
schleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2006, 11:51 PM   #33
Shazzer
Essential Contributor

Pointing your MX records to FastMail and having your DNS forward mail to FastMail are two different things. This thread has been primarily about forwarding...which is the only option that FULL/Member/Guest accounts have for using FastMail with their own domain.
Shazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2006, 12:11 AM   #34
schleng1

Ok, thanks. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have a problem.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 12:12 AM   #35
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by schleng1 does anyone know what kind of delays there are if one uses Pobox and has Pobox actually "forward" your mail to let's say FM and gmail?
I think your expectation will be that there is no evident delay by using Pobox. They should forward immediately, as most forwarders will usually do. In this context immediately might mean 1 second to 30 seconds.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2006, 12:15 AM   #36
schleng1

That's acceptable. Thanks.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 12:16 AM   #37
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
I think your expectation will be that there is no evident delay by using Pobox. They should forward immediately, as most forwarders will usually do. In this context immediately might mean 1 second to 30 seconds.
This is true for the most part but it depends on what spam filtering levels you set up. Sometimes mail that falls into the grey area is delayed for a few minutes (while it is processed)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2006, 12:30 AM   #38
Shelded

Summarizing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shazzer
Pointing your MX records to FastMail and having your DNS forward mail to FastMail are two different things. This thread has been primarily about forwarding...which is the only option that FULL/Member/Guest accounts have for using FastMail with their own domain.
Since this is your thread you can identify it any way you like, but it seems since your second post we have been heavily discussing moving the MX. The key is whether you're taken care of yet or not?

I think that my answer about keeping your NS at Namecheap while moving the MX elsewhere used to be technically possible and may be possible yet at some host -- but for practical reasons nowadays that tends to be disallowed because the MX host needs to limit any "open relay" activity. In any case, it doesn't seem ZoneEdit allows this now. On some other threads about reliability some of us have talked of posting multiple MX servers from different providers, but that won't work if both providers require your NS1 & NS2 records before they will handle your domain.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 12:51 AM   #39
David
Ultimate Contributor

This is a little off topic but I thought I would mention it as it is important to look ahead (as far as you can) when making changes to your MX records and DNS.

Two months ago I opened up a webhosting account and started up a web site (with forums) and it is slowly picking up speed.

I decided to start up a discussion type mailing list but in order to do that (at my domain) I had to point my MX back to my new webhost. So it looks like I will not be using the full capabilities of my Pobox account even though I will still rely of their forwarding for my none domain aliases.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 01:14 AM   #40
Shelded

Another problem we haven't pointed out here about forwarding (in general) is whether they use SPEWS or other lists. In the case of ZE I have had them rely on SPEWS when they should not (a listing which was 3 years old which I had them bypass) and it's possible they use SCBL (SpamCop) which is sometimes controversial. I don't really know of any way to know what ZE is discarding based on these lists, nor what your clout is to require changes based on false positives.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 01:16 AM   #41
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by David
This is a little off topic but I thought I would mention it as it is important to look ahead (as far as you can) when making changes to your MX records and DNS.

Two months ago I opened up a webhosting account and started up a web site (with forums) and it is slowly picking up speed.

I decided to start up a discussion type mailing list but in order to do that (at my domain) I had to point my MX back to my new webhost. So it looks like I will not be using the full capabilities of my Pobox account even though I will still rely of their forwarding for my none domain aliases.
For that reason when I set up something with a web host I set it up for a new subdomain instead: www.domain.com instead of domain.com so that my mail continues through domain.com

Most web hosts seem to be oblivous to this interest of ours and won't tell you to predict this.
BTW anyone typing domain.com into the browser will redirect to www.domain.com
Old 11 Sep 2006, 01:30 AM   #42
David
Ultimate Contributor

I could have done that Shelded, but in order to do so I would have needed to do three redirects (at Pobox) for the three new aliases required by 'Mailman'

As I was not able to do this at Pobox I decided to move away.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 01:32 AM   #43
Shazzer
Essential Contributor

Re: Summarizing?

Quote:
Since this is your thread you can identify it any way you like, but it seems since your second post we have been heavily discussing moving the MX.
That was my own ignorance talking, I'm afraid. I was initially using the terms DNS and MX interchangeably...not realizing that it was possible to move one without the other. I've always had a FULL FM account and consequently had never given personal domain e-mail a whole heck of a lot of thought until this last service outage.

But to answer your question Shelded, yes I think I'm taken care of, thanks. I've got my DNS set up at zoneedit with their "MailForward" service sending all my messages to both FM and GMail. As long as zoneedite remains reliable, I'm set.
Shazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2006, 01:32 AM   #44
schleng1

David,
Are you saying that your webhost is requiring you to keep your mx records with them and that you cannot change where the mail, ie., info@mydomain.com, gets directed to?
Old 11 Sep 2006, 01:43 AM   #45
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by schleng1
David,
Are you saying that your webhost is requiring you to keep your mx records with them and that you cannot change where the mail, ie., info@mydomain.com, gets directed to?
No, I am saying that it is not possible for the mailing list to work without either the 'redirects' (so that Mailman can work) or them controling the MX. Pobox are pretty limited regarding what you can do with your aliases (even with the highest paid option) Currently I have a basic Pobox account which allows you to create 3 aliases (at your domain) and forward them to the single forwarding address.

I could have pointed my MX somewhere else (where I was able to set up these redirects) - my webhost calls them 'Forwards' - if I had wanted to.