EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

View Poll Results: How much do you trust Hotmail/how reliable is Hotmail?
Microsoft is a reliable company. So, then, is Hotmail 8 14.29%
I'm a bit uncertain. I trust Hotmail, but not a lot. 2 3.57%
I don't trust Hotmail, but they are handy as an extra email account 15 26.79%
Hotmail is one big joke! I wouldn't trust them if they were the last email service around! 17 30.36%
I don't use hotmail 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:00 AM   #16
elder

Lightbulb hotmail as secondary

Frankly, I use hotmail as a dump for required email sites. I log on only enough to maintain my account, and they can delete anything they like. If you have a firewall, you know how often they tap your access.
elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 04:35 AM   #17

Thumbs down Not-so-Hotmail

In reading some of the posts on this site, it's clear that Hotmail has gone from bad to worse. I found Hotmail to be an unreliable service and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Unless you need a "junk mail" account, I'd stay away from Hotmail.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 04:44 AM   #18
o0o
Cornerstone of the Community

And even for a junk-mail account, why not just use a free FastMail account over HotMail? It is better in every way.

o0o
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 04:47 AM   #19
pin
Essential Contributor

I used to use Hotmail as my 'junk mail' account - but I wouldn't even advise using it for this! On the rare occasion I needed an email, it would take 5 minutes to sift through all the rubbish and find it. Recently I have let my account expire.

There are much better alternatives (even for your junk mail)!
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 04:49 AM   #20
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Blasphemer!* Burn the blasphemer!! ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by o0o
And even for a junk-mail account, why not just use a free FastMail account over HotMail? It is better in every way.
Don't insult FastMail! It's far too good to be used as a junk-mail account — mine is myprimary account...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 04:54 AM   #21
pin
Essential Contributor

You could use MyRealBox instead for your junk mail account - and get charged $10 a spam!
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 05:00 AM   #22
psalzer

Re: Blasphemer!* Burn the blasphemer!! ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm

Don't insult FastMail! It's far too good to be used as a junk-mail account — mine is myprimary account...
While Fastmail isn't my only account, it's really the only one I use. Just don't need anything else.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 03:22 PM   #23
fastmailer

Quote:
Originally posted by o0o
And even for a junk-mail account, why not just use a free FastMail account over HotMail?
I use a FastMail member account for my primary account and a FastMail guest account for junk-mail.
fastmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 06:08 PM   #24
mailmaniac
Essential Contributor

The only reason why I keep a Hotmail account is because I don't want to reveal my Fastmail, Mailsnare or Oddpost accounts to people who only send me junk mail (jokes, chain letters, power point mellow presentations). In other words: Hotmail is my official trash can!
I also use MSN messenger, so I must keep it anyway....
All my other accounts are kepst spam-free and are only used for good, interesting and serious conversation.

Andrea
mailmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 07:04 PM   #25
munchkin

Quote:
Originally posted by mailmaniac
MSN Messenger requires a Hotmail, MSN or Passport account. You can sign up for a 'Passport' using a different email address. You can use any address you wish.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2002, 08:29 PM   #26
mailmaniac
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by munchkin

MSN Messenger requires a Hotmail, MSN or Passport account. You can sign up for a 'Passport' using a different email address. You can use any address you wish.
Oh, no thanks. No more passport from Microsoft. The Hotmail address already exists, and if it works as trash can, I'll keep it.
And my Messenger contacts are the ones who keep sending me useless mail.... if I disclose a new mail, they will fill it with such things.

Andrea
mailmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2002, 05:26 AM   #27
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

May I add this to my HotmailSucks.net page?

I can understand deleting messages from the trash folder after a reasonable amount of time. But Sent Messages, they can be very important, I sometimes retain those for many months.

This move is completely unnecessary. The user should be in control of his/her own folder content.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2002, 06:34 AM   #28
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Re: Blasphemer!* Burn the blasphemer!! ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm

I agree! It's much faster than that piece of rubbish they call Hotmail
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2002, 06:42 AM   #29
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mailmaniac
Nonsence. There is no *must* to keeping any email account (and far less Hotmail).

But I would avoid M$N Messenger too -- I read in an article that M$N Messenger, like Hotmail, is vulnerble to hackers or others can see your messages (can't remember the site sorry )

Hotmail? Coldmailmore like!

MAILfreak
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2002, 12:30 PM   #30
ikxu

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
Well, they own the service, so they can do what they want. The truth is, no one really wants a lot of non-paying customers any longer. The big services are not going to make it comfortable for holders of free accounts because on the whole, they'd prefer they were gone and it's the big services that have millions of free accounts that they're now servicing. My feeling is that if you can afford it, pay and you get to be a customer. If you really can't you'd do better with one of the solid but smaller services. Actually, I think that's true if you can pay, too, because one little customer means more to them, if they're running their service well.
Agreed
ikxu is offline   Reply With Quote