EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Dec 2013, 11:12 PM   #1
adambiser

Connection to IMAP server failed

Yesterday, I started getting this error when attempting to log in to the classic interface.

Quote:
Request error.

https://www.fastmail.fm - An error has occurred

Unfortunately an unrecoverable error occurred while trying to retrieve the requested page. We have logged this error and will try and fix the problem as soon as possible.

If you are really curious to know, the error was :

Connection to IMAP server 'store302m.internal' via 10.202.82.3 for 'adambiser' failed (status=bad_login error=. NO Login failed: authentication failure). Try again later.
Logging in to the regular interface gives this error:

Quote:
Sorry, our server seems to have failed. Your recent actions may not have successfully completed. If you encounter problems, try reloading the page. If you still have issues, check our status page or contact support. Apologies for the inconvenience.
I haven't seen anyone else mention this and the server status seems clear. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? My username and password are correct.
adambiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Dec 2013, 11:39 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

It's possible it was a short, temporary glitch on one of the servers. AFAIK user accounts are spread over a couple of servers, so it's conceivable the problem came and went unnoticed by the majority of users.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2013, 12:01 AM   #3
adambiser

I started getting the error yesterday and continue to do so today. I haven't been able to log in for about 18 hours.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 02:34 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have several Fastmail accounts and none of them have this problem. So I suggest that you file a support ticket by using the Support button in the upper right corner of the login page.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2013, 05:40 AM   #5
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambiser View Post
Yesterday, I started getting this error when attempting to log in to the classic interface.
Short answer: Fixed it! Sorry about that.

I noticed the same problem in our system alerts this morning and started looking into it before I saw your post. Here's the story.

Some of our very old accounts (of which yours is one) have a name in the backend of just "username", rather than "username@domain". We haven't created new accounts without a domain part for many years, and the lack of consistency in naming is causing us some difficulties now (its part of the reason that CalDAV isn't in beta yet).

So this past week we've been renaming accounts in the backend. When we do this we both rename the account and flip a flag in the database. This flag tells components in the system how they should construct the account name when logging into the backend.

So what happened here was that your account was renamed, the flag was changed, but the web servers hadn't noticed so they were continuing to construct the name in the "old" way. An account with that name no longer existed though, leading to the error you saw.

I'm not exactly sure where which bit of code is hanging on to old data, but I'm letting the right people know so they can fix it. For now I've restarted the web servers so they'll go and get fresh data for all users, which should solve the immediate problem.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
adambiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Short answer: Fixed it! Sorry about that.
That has fixed it. Thank you.

Yes, the account is pretty old. I don't remember when I set it up, perhaps around 10 years ago, and this is the first time I've felt the need to contact anyone about a problem, so I think that's a pretty good record.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambiser View Post
Yes, the account is pretty old. I don't remember when I set it up, perhaps around 10 years ago, and this is the first time I've felt the need to contact anyone about a problem, so I think that's a pretty good record.
Wow! And never been to EMD before? Nevertheless: welcome here!
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2013, 12:25 PM   #8
adambiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Wow! And never been to EMD before? Nevertheless: welcome here!
Thanks. I have checked the forums a few times, but never had to sign up or post.

Embarrassingly, my accounts are all freebies (grandfathered in) and I know that support is not included for them, so I don't really reach out for it.

(a little bit later...)
Now that I look, I guess I did make an account on EMD for a problem in 2006 under "winwolf3d". Completely forgot or I would have logged in under it.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 12:54 PM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The accounts have changed dramatically in that time frame. You might consider a Lite account, which only costs $0.19 a week:
https://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastma...ricingtbl.html

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote