EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 7 Sep 2018, 06:31 PM   #1
HelenGioia
= Permanently banned =

WordPress.com: 3Gb free Now

WordPress.com has announced that storage for free accounts has increased from 50Mb of storage to 3Gb of storage space.

They have done this to support the development of multimedia blogs, but what I find interesting is that they use Gmail as an example of how a large repository can change the way people use the network.
HelenGioia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Hmmm, as far as I'm aware the storage space was already 2 or 3 GB with Automattic (who run wordpress.com) ; I've been using them for years and Always been very satisfied. I've mainly posted text-only articles so the storage is something I never paid too much attention to.

The Gmail reference doesn't surprise me. Before Gmail, mailbox storage of 2 MB (Hotmail) to 6 MB (Yahoo) was the norm. It was Gmail who changed that completely and thereby motivated/forced other providers to switch to larger storage too.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2018, 12:20 AM   #3
LinuxArie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Hmmm, as far as I'm aware the storage space was already 2 or 3 GB with Automattic (who run wordpress.com) ; I've been using them for years and Always been very satisfied.
Indeed, when I started with wordpress.com in 2006 it was allready 2 or 3 GB storage

Last edited by LinuxArie : 14 Sep 2018 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Which is still not a lot, but so far I'm pleased because most articles I post are text-only. Also, if you host your images elsewhere you can embed them, making it appear as if they're in your article on your Wordpress blog without using actual storage space within your Wordpress.com account.

I do think there's hosts who offer Wordpress blogs pre-configured with the same features and more storage, but probably none of those are free. Plus, Automattic has such a quality helpdesk that it's hard to find better options ; especially for a free service, their support team is great!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote