EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 27 Apr 2005, 03:23 AM   #1
rookie

virtual domain - ukreg

Hi, i have read the previous posts but still having trouble setting up the virtual domain thing.

I am registered with ukreg.com and when i go to the DNS setting page, it only lets me configure it using IP (so i cant enter mx.runbox.com), so i put the runbox IP i found on a previous post but it still doesnt seem to work..

it has 2 parts i can set, the A record and the MXrecord, both of which only accepts IPs.

plese help!
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Apr 2005, 03:52 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
As far as I know MX Records aren't suppose to have IP Addresses in them. They are suppose to point to a name (A Record).

You should probably contact ukreg.com tech support on this one.

But make sure when you define your MX Record you also give a Preference number too.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2005, 04:12 AM   #3
rookie

hi thanks for the reply. Im not too familiar with DNS etc, what do i ask ukreg.com.... should i just say i want runbox oganising my emails? its all beyond me... but i would like to get my own domain working on runbox.

thanks again
Old 27 Apr 2005, 04:28 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Just tell them you want your domains MX Record to point to mx.runbox.com but you can't figure out how to do it. That should be enough informaiton for them to help you. At least I would hope.

Regards,
Rich
Old 27 Apr 2005, 04:38 AM   #5
rookie

thats great, thank you very much!
Old 1 May 2005, 03:43 AM   #6
rookie

Hi, sorry to bother you guys again, i sent an email to UKREG and they sent a reply sending me this link.

http://xtreme.fasthosts.co.uk/kbv.exe?wrap=1&ID=604

I entered the runbox IP but my status has been on PENDING for more than 48 hours now...

can anyone help me out? it would mean so much if i can get this to work

thanks for your time

Last edited by rookie : 1 May 2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old 1 May 2005, 09:15 AM   #7
tore

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
As far as I know MX Records aren't suppose to have IP Addresses in them. They are suppose to point to a name (A Record).

Originally posted by rookie
Hi, sorry to bother you guys again, i sent an email to UKREG and they sent a reply sending me this link.

http://xtreme.fasthosts.co.uk/kbv.exe?wrap=1&ID=604

I entered the runbox IP but my status has been on PENDING for more than 48 hours now...
Rich is right, an MX record must have a domain name as its value (in addition to an integer specifying the priority of the MX record). Using an IP address is a broken setup - this is an undeniable fact (see RFC 1035, section 3.3.9 if you want the authoritative definition). Some mailers (including Exim, which Runbox uses) will simply refuse to deliver any mail to domains configured thusly.

I looked at the page you linked to, and it seems clear from the screenshots that they ask for a IP address to put in the MX record, instead of a domain/host name. That is BROKEN, and in my opinion tells quite a story about the technical clue they've got at UKREG, or rather - the lack thereof.

You could try cluebatting them some more and see if you can make them fix their system (feel free to quote me if you want to), but for your own sake I'd suggest to take your domain to another registrar - do you really want to entrust the care of your domain to a company which has demonstrated that it lacks knowledge of the very basics of how DNS works?

Tore
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2005, 03:53 PM   #8
markwolk
Essential Contributor

An easy getaround might be to host your DNS with www.zoneedit.com . It's free (up to 5 zones) and gives you great control of your DNS, including SPF records.
markwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 01:16 AM   #9
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I also use ZoneEdit and have fould it to be very reliable.

The only problem that I've had is that ZoneEdit runs it's own spam filtering and I have had non-spam blocked because of their spam filtering.

It was usually because the senders IP address had been blacklisted because of other users spaming from the service and was eventually addressed. But until that was addressed I had mail that was blocked that I couldn't do anything about.

Regards,
Rich
Old 2 May 2005, 01:28 AM   #10
rookie

hi thanks for the input... its kind of worrying if that is the case because the parent company of UKreg is supposed to be one of the biggest in the UK....hmmm what to do... any recommended hosts where they automatically renew your domain? I'm worried ill forget to renew and lose my domains. Ukreg is good because it's so cheap... uk domains are 3 pounds (6dollars) a year. plus it has free mail forwarding and webpage forwarding. maybe other companies do similar things... i need to look into it.

thanks again
Old 2 May 2005, 08:05 AM   #11
rookie

OK, ive joined zoneedit, pretty cool site.

Once i have changed the nameserver on ukreg to ns13.zoneedit.com and ns17.zoneedit.com, do i change the MAIL SERVER to mx.runbox.com handles mail 1st for mydomain +++.com? and that should be it?

thanks again...
Old 2 May 2005, 08:20 AM   #12
markwolk
Essential Contributor

For all my sites, I have used their MailForward facility. To forward all mails addressed to your domain just write an * in the email address field, and forward it to your Runbox address. You may want to add another forward to another backup address.

If you have a website at your domain, also make sure that its IP address at your hosting company is recorded under IP addresses.
markwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2005, 08:26 AM   #13
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Yes, after your DNS has transferred to ZoneEdit you will use the "Mail Servers (MX)" option to set your mail server to mx.runbox.com

Regards,
Rich
Old 5 May 2005, 12:16 AM   #14
rookie

it is working perfectly now. thanks for all the help!

for those who havent been able to set the MX record on their domain host:

register with zoneedit.com and set them as your nameserver (you get 5 zone credits... i think it means its free for 5 years for 1 domain, or 1 year for 5 domains.. etc etc)

once that is done, you can point the MX record, mail server, to mx.runbox.com

thanks again!

if anyone knows a better similar site to zoneedit.com please tell me
Old 5 May 2005, 04:15 AM   #15
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Glad to hear it's working now.

Rich