EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Sep 2007, 11:19 PM   #1
alm

WAP access problem

Hi,

I cannot log on via wap from my GSM phone for a long period (days, most likely even weeks)...getting login page without problem, but when username and pass is submitted it hangs on that page...

This problem I had few months ago and after weeks of failures it started to work without any changes in access done by me...now, problem is again active.

Tried to log-in via PC also (trough wap server) and it took minutes to log in...again, log-in page showed instantly but to get in it took so many time (maybe phone disonnects earlier than PC browser for sort of "request timeout"...)

Connecting via PC trough www.fastmail.fm works without problems...

Any hints?

Thanks!
alm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Sep 2007, 12:47 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums, alm!

My WAP access isn't working today either. I get the login boxes OK, but when I enter my login information and click Submit I get this error:
Code:
Warning: imap_open() [function.imap-open]: Couldn't open stream
{mail.messagingengine.com:143}INBOX in
/var/www/wap2/functions/php on line 142
ERROR: Can't connect: Too many login failures
This was the first time I tried today, and I had no other login failures either with WAP or IMAP or web logins recently.

Bill

<<edit: One day later and it's working fine for me. I think my mobile PDA phone auto-complete feature had Fastmail with two l's, which is hard to notice on a small screen. So I think MY problem was operator error -- sorry.>>

Last edited by n5bb : 18 Sep 2007 at 08:22 AM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I'll ask Bron to check this out, we moved the WAP server recently to a new machine.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 07:12 PM   #4
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
That is the canonical PHP way of telling you that you got your password wrong. Are you using your full "username@domain" syntax for the username? Have you checked capitalisation?
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 11:26 PM   #5
wxkeith

While we're talking about the WAP server.. it's probably wishful thinking on my part, but is it still using a self-signed certificate?

The crummy browser on my phone (Motorola W385 with Verizon in the US) won't even give me the option to accept a self-signed cert. I'd *love* to be able to use the WAP interface.
wxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 11:41 PM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

I have been using Fastmail's WAP interface since I purchased my Motorola Q (a little over a month ago now) It works better than the crummy email clients I have tested, that run on Windows mobile 5. I can only wish for a similar WAP interface (to access these forums
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2007, 02:50 AM   #7
alm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
That is the canonical PHP way of telling you that you got your password wrong. Are you using your full "username@domain" syntax for the username? Have you checked capitalisation?
I'm doing the same as I did always - just username without "@domain" and correct capitalisation

Now I've tried also with full "username@domain" syntax but with same result - "no respond".

Just to note - same phone, same GSM operator, same fastmail account...it worked perfect (with same "episode" in spring this year), now it does not
Old 18 Sep 2007, 08:25 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Operator error here

My WAP login is now working fine today. My guess is that my PDA mobile phone auto-complete feature had Fastmail spelled with two l's due to an earlier entry mistake, and I failed to notice this on the small screen. The login error message warning about "Too many login failures" confused me into not trying carefully again. So MY problem appears to have been operator error.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2007, 11:11 AM   #9
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm View Post
I'm doing the same as I did always - just username without "@domain" and correct capitalisation

Now I've tried also with full "username@domain" syntax but with same result - "no respond".

Just to note - same phone, same GSM operator, same fastmail account...it worked perfect (with same "episode" in spring this year), now it does not
If you could PM me your username I'll have a look at the logs...
Old 18 Sep 2007, 11:55 PM   #10
alm

Quote:
If you could PM me your username I'll have a look at the logs...
I've just did - thanks.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 07:37 PM   #11
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Sorry to take so long to reply. I just tried to access your account via wap in opera, given that I was seeing successful logins.

Basically, you have 17,000+ messages in your inbox. The WAP interface isn't particularly clever about fetching only a small range. Yes, this sucks.

So you're suffering from the time it takes to try and pull headers for 17k messages. No wonder things time out.

I can look into how the WAP code works with big folders, but I can't guarantee immediate results. I would recommend archiving the older messages occasionally so you don't have such a big inbox as a good workaround, and as a bonus the web interface will load faster too!
Old 21 Sep 2007, 11:09 PM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

I don't suppose you could add the ability to allow to 'delete permanently' (bypassing the Trash folder) Bron. You and the rest of the Fastmail team have done such a good job of the WAP interface, that I am looking for better, so I can use it exclusively
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2007, 07:21 PM   #13
alm

Quote:
Basically, you have 17,000+ messages in your inbox. The WAP interface isn't particularly clever about fetching only a small range...So you're suffering from the time it takes to try and pull headers for 17k messages.No wonder things time out.
Yeap - that was the reason. I've reorganized folders and now it works perfect

Thanks for help!