EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 May 2015, 01:16 AM   #1
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Not logging into FM automatically??

This problem occurs on my laptop but not on my desktop...

I use a Verizon JetPack to make intwork connections. Each time I enable a new session and cllick onto my Fastmail.fm shortcut, I need to log in again with user name and password even though I have check both the "traditional style" and "keep me logged in" as my options. Once I have logged in once, I can open my Inbox again and again without logging in.

Any clues??
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 May 2015, 01:47 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

There is no "traditional style" choice on the login screen. The "Use classic interface" choice is unrelated to the main login process.

If you close your browser session without logging out (and "Keep me logged in" was selected when you originally logged in), then you can directly log in using a shortcut to "https://www.fastmail.com/" or to your login domain (such as "https://www.fastmail.fm" or "https://www.eml.cc" or whatever). Do not use old shortcuts with additional information in the URL unless you understand the new system.

If you log out, you will need to log back in using your username and password. If things don't seem to be working correctly, remove all cookies and other saved information from your browser cache related to the Fastmail website and start over again. Cookies must be enabled for all of this to work correctly.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 04:44 AM   #3
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Thanks... that the way I thought it should work.

My shortcut is to "https:www.fastmail.fm".

I generally end my sessions by simply taking a shortcut to another web site. I don't "X" the window to close it or log out.

I can return to the Inbox without logging in unless I close the browser on the laptop. Closing the desktop's browser does not prevent me from returning to the Inbox without passing through the login screen first; that happens only on the desktop. Both systems handle cookies the same way.
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Jerry
Essential Contributor

Maybe Related, Maybe Not

At about the time m46ah_30 started this thread, my laptop stopped "remembering" my insecure logins when I use Opera v8.54, and it always used to. It still works OK when I use Opera v12.02, but something has definitely changed in the last few days, and as you can probably tell by the browsers I'm using, nothing changes very fast on MY end.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 12:19 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Try deleting all Fastmail-related cookies and clear the browser cache then try again.

Bill
Old 19 May 2015, 01:22 AM   #6
Jerry
Essential Contributor

I've already done that several times. (And for Opera users, don't forget there's a "Delete new cookies when exiting Opera" option that needs to be disabled for these kinds of "Remember Me on This Computer" features.) Thanks anyway, Bill.
Old 19 May 2015, 01:23 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Have you filed a Fastmail support request?
Old 19 May 2015, 01:37 AM   #8
Jerry
Essential Contributor

I haven't done that yet. The last time this quirk arose it affected many people who piled on the EmailDiscussions "thread bandwagon" and FM programmers picked up on it right from the forum. (New code in another area had broken the feature.) I thought I'd test the waters here first.
Old 21 May 2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Jerry
Essential Contributor

The Good News Is . . .

. . . It's mysteriously started working again today.