EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:34 PM   #1
TenFour
Cornerstone of the Community

Targeted advertising?

Why are advertisers willing to pay for so-called "targeted advertising?" When I turn off my ad blockers most of the ads I see are not of interest to me, and in many cases they are irrelevant. For example, I just went to a news site I frequent and the banner across the top of the page was for Jimmy Johns restaurants--there isn't one within hours of here and I don't recall ever seeing one. On another site I see more than one ad for Ram trucks. Again, I am not in the market for a Ram truck, I have never owned a truck, and if for some reason I needed one I would never buy a Chrysler product. On most sites I also see tons of garbage--clickbait sponsored posts that I would never click on in a million years!

And this system is what makes the Internet work?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Apr 2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

I find if I look at something eg. on amazon, ebay etc. that I get banner adverts for what I've been looking at on other sites. By then though I've finished looking and these persist. I also get adverts for what other people in the house may have been looking at on a different computer.

I don't believe that targeted advertising sells anything but targeted advertising itself appears to be a good seller.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2019, 01:55 PM   #3
EricG
Essential Contributor

Clickbait ads never seem to be targeted. If everyone ignored them they'd go away.

Google ads are usually related to what I search for or open from Discover. I've never figured out why I get ads for large women's clothing though!

Amazon ads likewise are related to pages I view on Amazon.

Other ads are from the province I reside in. Your IP address is used.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote