EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Jun 2019, 04:14 AM   #1
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Exporting contacts

HI. The system for exporting contacts seems to have changed. The help documents say I should be on the 'Import and Setup' page but I can't see where on there to export from.

Am I missing something here?
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Jun 2019, 06:23 AM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I wonder if they (temporarily?) removed exporting. Some time ago I submitted a ticket where I wanted to export my contacts list to keep it as a backup to potentially be able to import it back if needed in the future.

I experimented with this and discovered that they didn't fully export entire white lists and some file formats duplicated entries if you imported on top of the existing contacts lists.

Some of the limitations I think were due to file types. For example .csf and .ldif limited then whitelist size. But there were problems with .vcf's as well.

So maybe they just took the easy way out (again) and don't allow exporting assuming you will only import these files created from some other source. That gets them off the hook for export. Probably still doesn't solve the creation of dup entries though.

I'm just speculating here.

...or it's there buried in some no logical place since of course it wouldn't make sense to allow exporting from the place you import (being sarcastic here).

Time for another ticket.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2019, 06:28 AM   #3
Folio

Hi Fenman,

Go to "Contacts". Hover over "All Contacts" or whatever group you want to export. Click on the three dot menu icon that will appear to the right of "All Contacts" when you hover. Select "Export".
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2019, 06:59 AM   #4
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
Hi Fenman,

Go to "Contacts". Hover over "All Contacts" or whatever group you want to export. Click on the three dot menu icon that will appear to the right of "All Contacts" when you hover. Select "Export".
Sneaky little devils. I guess I should have waited until someone replied here becuae I submitted a ticket asking the same question. Got a reply in under 5 minutes. New worlds record for support.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Fenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
Hi Fenman,

Thanks for putting me out of my misery , Folio. It's simple when you know how! They need to update the Help pages to reflect that.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2019, 01:04 AM   #6
digp
Master of the @

I think export / import is broken
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2019, 06:04 AM   #7
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I don't think they are any more broken than they used to be (see my post 2 above), well, unless you consider "more" by the fact that export is done from one place in the UI and import from a completely different place.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 11:09 PM   #8
somdcomputerguy

The 'three dots thing' is a somewhat recent change to the web UI. The help docs just haven't been updated yet. I'm not condoning this, or 'standing up for them (Fastmail)', but it is what it is.

- Bruce http://somdcomputerguy.com
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote