EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 30 Dec 2011, 06:38 AM   #1
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

can't access account at Rediffmail.com

I know there are some older threads dealing with rediffmail.com, but I've started a new one regarding this specific problem. I hope the mods don't mind.

I've been using rediffmail for several years and I have found the service generally reliable. Then, a month or so ago, I noticed that when I was finished and clicked on "log out," my browser put up a message saying it couldn't open the page because the server had "stopped responding." I still had access to the account every day, so I assumed it was a temporary glitch. Then, a couple of weeks ago, the mysterious problem began preventing me from logging in to my rediffmail account at all.

I go to the login page, I enter my userID and password, and the credentials seem to be accepted, because the login process begins and a URL appears in the browser bar containing the account name and a session ID and other alphanumeric gobbledygook in which the account name and the phrase "show inbox" can be seen, but then the bar fills in just a little and stalls, and nothing further happens.

Eventually the attempt times out and the browser puts up the same message it used to put up when I had the logging-out problem: "Safari could not open the page 'http://xxxxxxxxx' because the server stopped responding."

I managed to reach rediff customer service and described the problem, almost exactly as I have done above. I received an acknowledgment, but it merely said "Referring to your query, we would request you to send us the complete screen shot of the error you are getting while opening your mail account as it will help us to investigate the issue better. Please feel free to contact us in case you have any further queries."

I replied that I had already included in the body of my report all information that I could offer, including the URL which timed out, so a screenshot would merely show the same thing, but surrounded by a rectangular box and a decorative Safari logo, which I didn't think would help them diagnose the problem. I have had no reply to this second message, and the problem persists.

A family member also has an account at rediffmail and is experiencing exactly the same problem. During the same time period, I have encountered no problems of any kind with other webmail accounts or websites or with my computer generally, so I am confident the problem is at the rediffmail end of things.

From my description of what has happened, does anyone have any speculation about what may be causing the difficulty? If so, perhaps it might help if I passed on these thoughts to the rediffmail customer service rep. Meanwhile, the accounts remain inaccessible and it is a considerable nuisance.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Dec 2011, 08:17 AM   #2
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Probably won't be helpful, but have you tried clearing your browser cache? Have you tried different browsers?
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2011, 04:12 PM   #3
drew
The "e" in e-mail

And if it is possible to use another browser check if you get same problem
on that one in case it is some bad compatibility with the Safari?

Email services sometimes upgrade or change some filters on their
servers to stop spamming behavior and if one have an old cache
maybe something get triggered? I have set up my Firefox to always
delete all cookies at shutdown that helps a lot.

I have not tested on Rediff though. Do they have a blog or some place
them tell if them have drop out or server maintenance periods?
Have you used the same safari for years. Could it be some ads on the
Rediff that is slow to respond?
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Greensky

I have no difficulty logging into my Rediffmail account with the web interface - using Firefox. You could try to see if the same problem happens when you use another web browser, or try deleting your cache files on Safari.
Greensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2011, 03:06 AM   #5
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

The advice to try clearing your cache is good. That's what games site Pogo says to try first if one has problems with their games -- which I do at least once a week, and it usually does the trick.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2012, 12:33 AM   #6
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
The advice to try clearing your cache is good. That's what games site Pogo says to try first if one has problems with their games -- which I do at least once a week, and it usually does the trick.
I reset Safari after every single session, which clears the cache, deletes cookies, and performs various other useful housekeeping tasks. I have always done this, and it does seem to keep the browser running well. Alas, however, it makes no difference regarding the rediffmail problem.

As for the question of older browsers, it is true that my version of Safari is not the very latest, but I have encountered no problems of any kind anywhere else, and email providers usually give some notice when they plan to require a browser upgrade (as in the case, for example, of Yahoo), so it seems unlikely that rediffmail suddenly made a change without notice that locked out what is probably a fairly substantial subset of users.

Three or four days have now passed since I received a pro forma reply to my support ticket and I immediately responded to it, but nothing has happened regarding the problem, and I have received no further communication from support. It is very frustrating.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 04:03 AM   #7
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I've been using rediffmail for several years and I have found the service generally reliable. Then, a month or so ago, I noticed that when I was finished and clicked on "log out," my browser put up a message saying it couldn't open the page because the server had "stopped responding." I still had access to the account every day, so I assumed it was a temporary glitch. Then, a couple of weeks ago, the mysterious problem began preventing me from logging in to my rediffmail account at all.

I go to the login page, I enter my userID and password, and the credentials seem to be accepted, because the login process begins and a URL appears in the browser bar containing the account name and a session ID and other alphanumeric gobbledygook in which the account name and the phrase "show inbox" can be seen, but then the bar fills in just a little and stalls, and nothing further happens.

Eventually the attempt times out and the browser puts up the same message it used to put up when I had the logging-out problem: "Safari could not open the page 'http://xxxxxxxxx' because the server stopped responding."

Very good description. My wild guess is that the solution lies somewhere in that txt I quote.
If you read through that one and try variations like using a mobile log in or changing settings like secure and unsecure log in or other possible ways to go around that which make it fails.
Then I would try to find somebody else having same or similar
problem.

If that totally fails. Suppose you are totally alone or at least the others
have not asked in a way that google find with your search words.

Okay then one have to be very systematic and logical.

Either try to find feedback in logs from the exchanges of protocol between
your browser and Rediff.

What kind of protocol do they use?
Do they maybe have a Mobile log in that has a simpler protocol if
something make the more fancy one stall?

Can you pull the emails from Rediff using gmail or Yahoo or Hotmail?

Maybe I should not try to give advices. I simply know too little about
how emails work on the server side what kind of software and how a
browser tells the server Could you let me in please.

Sometimes when log in fails then they are waiting for some ad to complete
and that ad maybe expect you to have latest Adobe Flash Player or worse
that ad expect you to have Ms Win Internet Explorer or something with the
HTML is wrong.

I am too lazy now but I would google and try to come up with many many
search key words and take them one by one. Until you find text about others
having same problem.

How tolerant are Rediff?
Would them allow you to have several accounts? Maybe visit a relative and
ask if you could set up an account for them and test if they have same problem?

Maybe I am too naive. I worked as a Telecom Repair person. Not much of an
Technician at all we just serviced telecom equip and took out the faulty and
put in a new. But sometimes that did not help.

One need to be very very systematic to find some malfunction things.

One of the Engineers told me about something that had had intermittent error
for some 30 years and none had found the cause of it.

When they promoted him to be the Highest Engineer in our town and he got
more time and some overseeing duties to teach others how to be good at repair
then he decided to find that 30 years old trouble and solve it once for all.

He told us that one do two important things first.

1. Top down investigation of all the known facts about the behavior.
And when happen and what people do and anything even not important things
like time of the day and what day in week and so on. Can be important sometimes.

2. Bottom or ground up investigation. You go through the whole chain of what
happens. User press button on the phone to make a call. What happens next
every detail that is known. What he looked for was a cracking noise and short short intermittent dropouts of communication and after a long search he did solve it. When they built that station for Telecommunication the soldiers had
forgotten to sold a thing up on the ceeling that should be soldiered obviously.

So for 30 years it had made noise now and then and none had had the imagination that it could be something that basic.

So Top Down and Ground up go through the whole chain. Patience and documentation of exact what one already have checked up upon.

And one need imagination to test even wild or far out things like logging in
using the mobile entry.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 04:13 AM   #8
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Here is an extreme extreme wild card or long shot.

Don't get angry on me. When something fails one need to look at all
kinds of things that can make it fail.

Sometimes them have filters that react to our behavior. Them try to
prevent spammers to abuse or exploit and unknowingly you may have
triggered such filter?

I triggered a reaction from Google the other day when I tried to get
what a Troll wrote in a forum without me joining them. So I searched
for his user name in many different ways and suddenly Google told
me they would lock me out if I did not give them evidence I was a real
person they thought that I was a "Bot" doing some tricks to to the forum.

So I had to guess a very difficult Chapta that I barely could see what letters
and chars and signs in it. Pure luck made me accepted again.

So how do we know that not Rediff have some new such software filters
that are under training and sadly something innocently you did triggered it?
I apology if all this come through as totally far out. Just felt for helping.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 07:53 PM   #9
jdtaylor
Master of the @

That is a good point, google is tightening up on fighting spam in actual fact the number of spam's faking the gmail domain seems to have dried up possibly mainly to Google's actions.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2018, 06:32 AM   #10
communicant

Something new and weird going on at Rediffmail

The last time rediffmail had really serious problems quite a long time ago, the problems persisted for years, and support was no help at all. Now something new is going on and has been getting stranger by the day. Without going into all the details, I thought I'd ask first -- is anyone else here experiencing difficulties or anomalies or inconsistencies logging on to rediffmail? A search on combinations like rediffmail + problems indicates that a lot of people around the world are having problems. Anyone here?