EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 26 Jul 2002, 12:06 PM   #16
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally posted by mail2me

I like ePrompter too. Works like a charm, just one mail checker for all accounts (Runbox, FastMail, ISP POP and works with hotmail too).
Sorry, forgot to mention Hotmail. Probably because I cancelled ALL my three accounts with them...
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2002, 12:54 PM   #17
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Thumbs up

Let's see... These free (non-Apple) apps live in my dock:
  • Fire
  • Remote Desktop Connection
  • Internet Explorer
  • Acrobat Reader
  • OmniDictionary
  • MiniCalc
  • Free Ruler
  • StuffIt Expander
  • SlideShow
These quality shareware apps also share my dock:
  • Snapz Pro X
  • GraphicConverter
  • Transmit
  • ZipIt
  • Audion
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2002, 02:35 AM   #18
Dave P in StLouis

Smile A few more

I've mentioned some of these before but they deserve repeating.

Productivity: 602 Pro PC Suite www.software602.com. Compatible with MS Office file formats.
Notepad replacement: Windows Editor www.jcu.edu/philosophy/gensler.
Anti virus: AntiVir www.free-av.com. I tried AVG but had too many false alarms. I like this one much better.
Graphics: XnView www.xnview.com.
Clipboard: 3D Clipboard www.smartsoft.tj.
FTP: i.FTP www.memecode.com. I recently discovered this one and I like its small size (about 311KB zipped) and simplicity. By the author of iScribe. If your needs are modest like mine you'll probably like it too.
Zip: Quick Zip Lite quickzip.ifroggy.com. Just as good as WinZip but free and half the size too.
Miscellaneous: MacroMaker www.ij.net/AnthonyMathews/MacroMaker.htm. Remember Windows' Macro Recorder? This is even better.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2002, 03:34 AM   #19
joelpt
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisdamato
Wow cool I just blew 45 minutes fussing with Bootvis and trimming down my startup time significantly!

Did your 50% boot-time savings come from using the Optimize command, or from deleting unnecessary startup processes that were slowing things down, or both?
The savings were 100% from using bootvis Optimize.

I ran bootvis on a friend's XP Home machine, and his boot time went from about 2.5 minutes (from power on to desktop) to about 30 seconds!

joel
joelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2002, 04:34 AM   #20
joelpt
Essential Contributor

Re: iScribe

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
<dumb question> I downloaded iScribe but haven't really used it yet. I know it doesn't have synchronization as yet, so when it downloads your messages in IMAP mode, what happens with that? Are they available offline? Does it delete them from the server? I didn't want to set it up to run without really understanding what it'll do on the server side.</dumb question>
I downloaded it to try it out after reading the post recommending it. It appears that it downloads IMAP messages and stores them offline (locally). However, it unfortunately does not have multi-folder IMAP capability; it only reads the Inbox. (unless I missed something)

joel
joelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2002, 08:57 PM   #21
Adrian Bell

psalzer, joelpt:

'joelpt' you are correct as far as I know. It does not have full IMAP capability but I just like it because of its small size and the way it looks and feels. Also it does not interfere with the registry and can be run from a floppy disk.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2002, 05:42 AM   #22
psalzer

Thanks for the information. It would be great if they do decide to develop full IMAP functionality for it.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2002, 01:58 AM   #23
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Re: OT: What freeware do you use?

Quote:
Originally posted by joelpt ...Antivirus: AVG. Totally free and constantly updated virus cleaner. Also monitors for new viruses as your box runs, and can monitor Outlook attachments too. ...
I was using the free version of AVG until today when I got hit by a virus - Win32.Elkern.c that AVG detected but couldn't heal ! - it could only suggest deleting the infected files! (and even though this included IExplorer.exe, I didn't feel like wiping half my executables.)
So I paid for and downloaded a copy of Kaspersky - which disinfected all my .exe files without a problem.
The lesson I have learnt is that sometimes free is not best - and for antivirus software and email only the best is good enough!

Last edited by redmyrlin : 31 Jul 2002 at 03:00 AM.
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2002, 04:35 AM   #24
mklose

Quick question:

How long does Kaspersky update for free when you buy it?
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2002, 08:45 AM   #25
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mklose
Quick question:

How long does Kaspersky update for free when you buy it?
according to their product spec...
Quote:
comes with, free of charge, one year of anti-virus upgrades and 24 hour technical support.
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2002, 04:27 PM   #26
famewolf

Freeware

You guys are awesome...been downloading and installing like crazy...replacing some of my older stuff..one thing I did not see mentioned was star downloader (http://www.stardownloader.com) which is a free download manager comparable to gozilla etc but no adware.
famewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2002, 12:51 AM   #27
lux
The "e" in e-mail

I use Flashget for downloading, I think it is the only freeware on my computer...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2002, 01:41 AM   #28
famewolf

stardownloader/flashget

Flashget's website indicates it's shareware now as opposed to freeware.additionally it appears to be adware..I'll stick with stardownloader.

Last edited by famewolf : 10 Aug 2002 at 01:45 AM.
famewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2002, 01:50 AM   #29
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Flashget is the most powerful one. It is recommanded by many download sites. It can split the file to several different parts, able increase and decrease split parts when downloading. You can download all the links on a webpage at once using Flashget. Don't have to drag and drop one at a time, etc...

Detail here:
http://download.com.com/3000-2071-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1

The 1.10 verison I am using is a freeware. It supports WinXp. Anything beyond 1.10 is shareware and prompts you to register. (But you can still use without registering, no exp date)...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2002, 05:50 AM   #30
kendp
Essential Contributor

After trying a lot of free (also no ads) downloaders I chose Fresh Download from Fresh Devices http://www.freshdevices.com

They also offer two other interesting free programs: Fresh Diagnosis to analyze and benchmark your system and Fresh UI to configure and optimize Windows.

I've been exceedingly impressed with their support of their programs even though they are free.
kendp is offline   Reply With Quote