EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 1 Apr 2005, 11:10 PM   #1
Edwin
 Administrator 

First computer you used... and owned?

What was the first computer you ever used?

What was the first one you ever owned?

I'll get us started

USED: ZX80

OWNED: ZX Spectrum 16K

=====

BONUS COMPLETE COMPUTER HISTORY
ZX Spectrum 16K, ZX Spectrum 48K, Commodore 64, Amstrad 1512, Philips 8088-based PC, Philips 286 PC, Tandon 386 PC, Compaq 486, Compaq P120, home-built PC with various processors: P166, P233MMx, P300, P500 and currently P1Ghz.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Apr 2005, 12:10 AM   #2
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

I first owned an Amiga. It was pretty well dedicated to my sons' game-playing and I wanted nothing *at all* to do with it.

It was only when they persuaded me to buy a printer and I could see some use to the thing that I gingerly offered my forefinger up to the keyboard for the first time. If only I had known the hours and hours that were to follow!

Fenman
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 12:16 AM   #3
JRobert
Master of the @

Used: IBM RAMAC 305.
It used vacuum tubes and relays and filled an air-conditioned room (with heat, as well as with equipment!). It's 5MB disk unit consisted of a stack of 24" disk platters served by 2 heads that each moved up/down and in/out to find a particular platter and track. The programs were loaded from punch cards onto a magnetic drum, and each program had a matching (interchangeable) jumper board the size of a cafeteria tray that we installed manually as part of the program-load process. Needless to say, it ran one program at a time.

Owned: Digital Equipment Corp. PDT-11.
Slightly small than a laser printer, it contained a (clone of a) PDP-11 micro-computer, with an 8080(?) chip to control it from a stand-alone terminal. It had 2 256K, 8" floppy drives for storage.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 12:19 AM   #4
ReuvenNY

Where do I start... The first computer I used was also the first one I owned. It was the Kaypro II from Kaycorp - a defunct company. It was in 1982; the operating system was CP/M and the computer was a Z-80 CPU 26 lb “portable”.
The talk in the street was that the just announced IBM - PC is not going to make it, as they did not conform to the CP/M standard of the industry. They said that it’s going to ruin their chances in the market place (coming with an obscure operating system called PC-DOS). I guess quite a lot has changed since

http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 05:48 AM   #5
Gankaku

Oh my gosh, I can't remember the first computer I used. It was at college...

I used the first PCs ever since they came out. I think before that the Apples came out. Those were the first desktop machines. We had those at our labs and my class used them.

The first system I owned was a PC XT. Amber screen...someone built it for me. Was it ever EXPENSIVE!
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 06:18 AM   #6
dragon1

First used: It has to be the one at work which was tied into the network. I think it was on UNIX (actually their own version of it called Cromix) because that's the kind of microcomputers the company built.

edit: Maybe the first used was the one at college when I took BASIC for the experience. Didn't know much about computers then, so I can't tell you what it was. All I used was a keyboard and terminal of some sort and the output was on paper printout. Back in the late 70s.

First owned: no-name 386/33Mhz initally with a 30MB (?) hard drive upgraded to a 350MB hd running DOS & Windows 3.1. Early 90s.

Last edited by dragon1 : 2 Apr 2005 at 06:25 AM.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 06:57 AM   #7
The Storm
Essential Contributor

2 computers.

One was an Amiga Commodore and the other a really basic IBM running DOS and X-Tree-Gold
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 07:37 AM   #8
The Storm
Essential Contributor

But wait theres more!

Order today and you get a fantastic magnetic underlay at no extra cost!

Hehehe joking. I did manage to find a pic of what I think the amiga was http://oldcomputers.net/amiga1000.html

As for the IBM, well I can't find the exact model, maybe it was an Australian only release?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 07:44 AM   #9
registered_user

Ti-99/4A

Years later, I found one at a thrift store and just had to buy one... ten bucks.

That was really my parents' though (as were most of those that followed). The first computer I personally owned was a Commodore 64. Saved my allowance for almost a year for it.
registered_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 09:45 AM   #10
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

ICL 2904

Tangerine Microtan 65 with a massive 1K ram
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 04:03 PM   #11
Shelded

The internet of the 1960's

IBM via GTE timesharing and a Teletype from the kitchen telephone. I played tic-tac-toe and tried some BASIC (is that right?) while Dad wrote Fortran.

Dell PC-AT clone with 1MB RAM and a 40MB Irwin tape drive that sounded like a dentist drill.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 04:16 PM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

I was lucky I had a DEC PDP 11/23 Minicomputer, sitting on my desk at work to play with. This was around 1978 I think.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2005, 04:17 PM   #13
dragon1

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm
2 computers.

One was an Amiga Commodore and the other a really basic IBM running DOS and X-Tree-Gold
I still have an unopened box of XTree Gold v.2.5, a file and disk manager for DOS, that I bought for the aforementioned 386/33 'puter. Wonder if it'll fetch anything on eBay?
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2005, 05:21 PM   #14
unhappysoul

Apple IIe

Apple IIe with two floppy disk drive.

First game : castlewolfsten

Ran BBS using my parents telephone line.and played some
kind of adventure game via BBS...

I was 16 years old I think and my dad spend arond $3000
for the whole system ( maybe it was less then that not sure
since my dad paid for it but it was lot of money for my family
back then... still now )
unhappysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2005, 09:38 PM   #15
euroman

1. First computer - used and owned: an 086 of some kind - can't remember brand. A real dog.

2. First decent computer - an apple LCIII (still own...) Still luv it even though I don't use it much. I have about 6 PCs now and sersiously none compare with the sophistication I experienced with the LCIII.

3. First work computer - a NEC with 40mb of memory and it was just about top of line. (About $3,5000 at time) Running xenix OS and networked with wyse terminals - brilliant.
euroman is offline   Reply With Quote