EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Aug 2013, 09:18 PM   #61
filbert

To add a bit of balance, looking back at my emails, I see that I had a very helpful response from Derek in April last year. Hopefully, that is the norm and current experience is an exception...
filbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 09:30 PM   #62
zinneken

A little update on tuffmail, Derek tells they now have new storage systems installed in Vancouver, an that they're developing the applications. They have trouble finding/hiring people and they now expect to be fully functional sometime in December.
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2013, 02:57 AM   #63
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
Derek has been promising features such as better integration with mobile devices, more disk space, better webmail, etc. ever since 6 months after he took over.
I got promised "new webmail next month". Twice, months apart. Obviously that has not appeared. The disk and transfer quotas aren't competitive either, but that doesn't require hiring anybody to fix. I stay with them because the customization options are the best around. I also like the unlimited individual email addresses for my domains.

Last edited by aynrandgirl : 27 Sep 2013 at 05:15 AM.
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2013, 03:36 AM   #64
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Derek indicated that he would improve the account management console so that it would work with mobile devices. That was roughly 2 years ago. Hasn't happened. I think it's too late to retrain me as a customer.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2013, 01:20 AM   #65
TnIan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
A little update on tuffmail, Derek tells they now have new storage systems installed in Vancouver, an that they're developing the applications. They have trouble finding/hiring people and they now expect to be fully functional sometime in December.
That's good to hear. I'm under increasing pressure from my company to move our email to Google, mostly on storage costs & ease of use.
TnIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2013, 08:31 AM   #66
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Is it good to hear that he is having trouble finding and hiring people? In my opinion, the value of Tuffmail has been that this service is the result of the wonderful, geeky development by John Capo, the previous owner.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 09:48 AM   #67
TnIan

It's good to hear that forward progress is underway. We'll see what comes of it.
TnIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2013, 11:20 AM   #68
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Not holding my breath.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 11:27 AM   #69
David
Ultimate Contributor

whenever I see this thread 'Tuffmail under new management' I wonder (and hope) if the most recent post will tell tell me that 'Derek' is gone, and that John is back.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2013, 12:34 AM   #70
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
whenever I see this thread 'Tuffmail under new management' I wonder (and hope) if the most recent post will tell tell me that 'Derek' is gone, and that John is back.
Well, there is a huge difference between someone who programs and implements stuff firsthand (even if that person has some developers under them they still provide vision and drive) and someone who can only try to hire other people to do stuff for them.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2013, 12:52 AM   #71
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Excellent point.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 02:50 AM   #72
aynrandgirl

1) Does the current owner know about our concerns (unimplemented features, broken promises, uncompetitive storange and transfer limits), and
2) Does he care?
Old 4 Oct 2013, 03:24 AM   #73
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl View Post
1) Does the current owner know about our concerns (unimplemented features, broken promises, uncompetitive storange and transfer limits), and
2) Does he care?
Not much confidence. After his mea culpa we have heard nothing more from him.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2013, 03:30 PM   #74
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Tuffmail looks dead compared to the vibrant services undergoing constant improvement such as Runbox, LuxSci, Fastmail, Polarismail, and others. What a shame. I still have a Tuffmail account -- but the prospect for longevity of the service is worrisome. The lack of mobile support for the account manager is frustrating.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 03:26 AM   #75
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Tuffmail looks dead compared to the vibrant services undergoing constant improvement such as Runbox, LuxSci, Fastmail, Polarismail, and others.
Too bad really, I use (and love) Tuffmail's fine-grained MX filtering and spam scoring. I like the fact that MX filtering, spam scoring, and allow/deny can be set on both an account and per-address level. I have legitimate senders whose email forward DNS is screwed up. Tuffmail lets me turn off the forward DNS filter, for that one incoming email address, without turning off MX filtering entirely or affecting filtering on other addresses. At Luxsci or Polarismail, for example, it appears you have no control whatsoever over what their MX filters do. You can only control the spam and virus filters.

Last edited by aynrandgirl : 5 Oct 2013 at 04:25 AM.