EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Apr 2017, 01:25 AM   #1
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

The emails I don't receive

Solve me this:

There are some emails that I never get. My credit card - frustratingly - has blocked me until I respond to a verification email they send. I never get that email. I called them and they said "yeah, we have trouble sending to some email providers." I had been using one of those extended addresses (creditcard@username.domainname.suffix), but switched to a straight address (username@domainname.suffix) and it worked once ... but now neither works.

In another case, too, I am trying to reset a password, but I never receive their password reset emails. There have been a few other examples over the years.

Is this fastmail's fault? My spam settings' fault? The senders' fault?

My spam settings are "standard", with likely spam being filtered to my spam folder. There's not a lot, and I check that folder before deleting. I am not missing these messages. These messages are not arriving.

Help please. I do not want to get a gmail account just to be able to access my credit card account. This sucks.

Thanks.

Last edited by SamVilde : 25 Apr 2017 at 03:42 AM.
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Apr 2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Do you have sieve script and is it blocking some of your mail.
If you do have sieve perhaps copy it into word and then delete it completely then try for your Bank notification emails again.

Also do you have an alias set up for the email address where your Bank emails are going.

This may help you, from Bill http://www.emaildiscussions.com/newr...reply&p=601317
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2017, 10:10 AM   #3
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I have no sieve scripts. I have never done anything special with my spam settings.

I have had used the subdomain email address for my banking for years - less complex than Bill's message: All of my financial institutions go to bank@alias.domainname.com - this works fine as an address almost all the time. I get emails from all my banks and credit cards regularly ... except these verification emails from this one credit card.

And that one password reset email from one institution (sending to a different alias, without subdomain addressing).

And one time I had a colleague whose emails I never would receive, but that was years ago.

Thanks again.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps reset the email address with your Bank.

Oh go into your setting then preferences and tick, load external content from my contacts....

Hope that helps as I have run out of ideas....
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2017, 08:39 PM   #5
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Did both.
Had done both before posting here.

I'm going to call the bank again - I was hoping for some insight here of whether to be frame it as "something is wrong with your bank's verification email protocols! Get it together Capital One!" or "Something seems to be wrong with my email service's treatment of your verification emails. Sorry about that."

I receive their monthly statements and payment receipts - the email address is working and they have it right. It's just the verification emails.

Thank you.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 09:11 PM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVilde View Post
I receive their monthly statements and payment receipts - the email address is working and they have it right. It's just the verification emails..
That does feel like a spam filtering issue. Have you tried temporarily setting the lower limit for discarding spam to a ridiculously high number like 500?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2017, 01:03 AM   #7
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

This is a great diagnostic idea. I reset the spam filter to 100 (the maximum - I tried 500, but it changed it to 100). I had the messages re-sent to both the alias and the sub-address of the alias. Neither message came through.

Good idea. Continues to fail.

Wonder what it could be.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 01:09 AM   #8
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

The only other thing I could think of would be to make sure the sender's address is whitelisted by putting it in your address book. Then again, it's possible you may not even know the sending address of those specific e-mails, since none of them have ever arrived.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2017, 01:31 AM   #9
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Tried that too, by adding a few wildcards * with capital one domain names.

The last time when I called them, the phone worker's tone was that if I couldn't provide a email address where verification messages would arrive, maybe I shouldn't be banking with them. It was an annoying conversation.

You'd think this would work, now in 2017.

I'm surprised that no one else seems to have encountered this.

Thanks again.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 01:54 AM   #10
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Running out of ideas. While I imagine you have already checked this, take another look to see if your Rules include any discard rules. If there are any, check them very carefully and consider temporarily changing them to "move to folder" rules.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 02:12 AM   #11
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Yeah ... I only had a few delete if rules, and - though they were pretty far from the issue - I deleted them all. Fixed (as expected) nothing.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 03:19 AM   #12
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Clutching at straws ...

Do you use any external mail clients with their own spam filters? Just maybe, the messages are arriving but are subsequently being deleted by the external mail client.

Given the lack of other ideas, I would try doing a Restore from Backup of the Inbox, and scan through the messages deleted in the last 1-2 weeks to see if the messages were briefly there.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 03:20 AM   #13
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Generic question: did you submit a support request to FM?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2017, 03:59 AM   #14
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

I don't use a mail client. Just webmail.

I didn't submit a support request to FastMail because I like FastMail, and it made me happier to assume it was a problem with Capital One.

I called them and got my account connected to my real non-alias email - it worked. I was able to add my phone number as a contact point, so the next time I should be able to verify through text message.

A this point my bank accessing problem is solved - I'm not that worried about it. But I'm still curious about what's happening and why it's not working as it should.

They have an option in their web system to send yourself test messages to make sure they're working, and I tried three times, and deleted and re-added the alias. Doesn't work. Subdomain addressing to the real account (non-alias) seem to work.

And it's weird ... that it's only these notification emails. The address works fine. I get other account notification emails at that address. I wonder what is different about those emails. And some password reset emails.

Mysterious.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 04:04 AM   #15
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVilde View Post
I didn't submit a support request to FastMail because I like FastMail
I'm sure your warm feelings towards FM will become even warmer when they solve the mystery quickly . Your choice...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote