EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Jan 2017, 07:09 AM   #1
vivil
Essential Contributor

Thumbs down End of classical interface

Hello,

I see classic interface will be closed in june 2017.... I'm totally crazy about that !

3 months ago, i have explained here and in support a bug which sometimes remove 2 messages instead of 1 inside the new interface, only the classical interface avoided that. support ticket was closed.

afterthat, i picked up the phenomena here on video:

So before closing a great thing, please explain me why my finger touch deleted
message 62, 60 and 54 on the beginning of my video before viewing any even small content of these messages ?

https://youtu.be/0IbIvyEerIs
vivil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:07 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivil View Post
So before closing a great thing, please explain me why my finger touch deleted
message 62, 60 and 54 on the beginning of my video before viewing any even small content of these messages ?

https://youtu.be/0IbIvyEerIs
I think these are totally two different things. One seems to me a bug in the new interface (yes, no software is perfect). Closing the classic interface is too bad, but I understand.

Quote:
Why is Classic being retired?
Maintaining two interfaces comes at a cost, and increases our surface area for security issues. As new features continue to be developed, it becomes increasingly harder to maintain backend compatibility with both Classic and our current interface. With the vast majority of users now migrated to our current interface, we need to focus our resources so we can continue to keep FastMail as the premier email service in the years to come.

Last edited by Berenburger : 6 Jan 2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:43 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I expected that this day was coming, and I understand the legitimate reasons why Fastmail intend doing it. I must say, though, that vivil raises a good reason why having two interfaces has value. Apart from access to functionality unavailable in the current interface, it provides an alternative when critical bugs cause the current interface to malfunction.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 12:16 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Everyone has access to free IMAP email clients for their PC or mobile device. Fastmail has never forced users to stay on webmail.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I think what he means is, things like you cant download an email to your HD where as you can quite easily on the old UI.
Also looking up headers some applications are missing in the current UI, there is really a long list of things that are in the old UI that are not in the current one....Lets hope they will all be added before its cut off.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 01:59 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I think what he means is, things like you cant download an email to your HD where as you can quite easily on the old UI...
Sure, you can download any email as an .eml file to your PC using the current interface. I agree it takes two steps and isn't labelled as "download message" in a menu.
  • Open an email to read it.
  • Click More...Forward as attachment (which converts the message to an .eml file)
  • In the Compose screen, click on the attachment and save it to your PC.
Quote:
...Also looking up headers some applications are missing in the current UI, there is really a long list of things that are in the old UI that are not in the current one....Lets hope they will all be added before its cut off.
I don't understand what you mean by "looking up headers some applications are missing". Email headers are not affected by the user interface, and you can view some (Extra Headers setting) or all (Show Raw Message) in the current interface. You can also search for specific headers. I think you must not have meant "headers".

Bron stated in another thread that he will work on adding anything which seems important (although rarely used by most users) to the current interface. So I think this is a very good move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
... Having the timeline will also force us to deal with things that are only available in Classic, because "just log in to Classic and do it there" won't be an option any more.
Bill
Old 6 Jan 2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Bill in the old UI you have Show full header and show Raw message, the show full header is much nicer to use and missing in the current UI.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 02:48 PM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Bill in the old UI you have Show full header and show Raw message, the show full header is much nicer to use and missing in the current UI.
I find the ability to show user-selected headers is more convenient. For example:
https://www.mediafire.com/?tzd3j94de45st1l

Bill
Old 6 Jan 2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you Bill........I use header info to block a lot of junk in my wife's mail.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 05:56 PM   #10
edu

It's a pity, I normally use my browser without javascript and many times I need to check my email with the browser, so... another email service using only javascript. I think it's only riseup and hushmail offering an interface without javascript yet. I understand it in FM but very very bad to me
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:52 PM   #11
vivil
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
(...) vivil raises a good reason why having two interfaces has value. Apart from access to functionality unavailable in the current interface, it provides an alternative when critical bugs cause the current interface to malfunction.
a malfunction reported *AND* never corrected... hard to debug i agree but...

I answer to another message which says that POP3 and IMAP4 clients still exist... for sure to avoid this big bug on video, i must switch on a new e-mail provider or choose an external software. lots of settings to have, lot of these does not permit by default to move a message on the trash... a mess.

The classical interface permits to choose another e-mail as poster and so on...

They only think to cut that ancestery method but new interface is not on the same level. period.
vivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2017, 02:23 AM   #12
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu
It's a pity, I normally use my browser without javascript and many times I need to check my email with the browser, so... another email service using only javascript. I think it's only riseup and hushmail offering an interface without javascript yet. I understand it in FM but very very bad to me
Yes hushmail AND safe-mail both have BASIC interfaces that work 100% w/o scripts enabled...

Last edited by Bamb0 : 7 Jan 2017 at 03:57 AM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2017, 07:35 AM   #13
chickadee

Parting is such sweet sorrow. The sweetness of the memories will surely linger.

Hail and farewell, my dear, dear friend.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2017, 09:13 AM   #14
PON
Essential Contributor

Is there a list anywhere of the differences remaining between the old and new interfaces? I'm glad that customers have an opportunity to provide some feedback and I hope it's not going through the motions. After all, some of us have used Fastmail a long time (14 years in my case) and signed up many users.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2017, 09:29 AM   #15
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Edit....as it was a pointless comment.

Last edited by Terry : 7 Jan 2017 at 03:24 PM.