EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 21 Apr 2003, 02:33 PM   #1
Edwin
 Administrator 

Losing weight...?

Other than switching to eating super-heathy stuff, does anyone have any pointers/success tips for losing weight. I'm basically looking for simple but effective things that don't require a lot of effort or willpower to keep doing... I guess this might be a bit of a tall order, but there's no harm in asking!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Apr 2003, 03:28 PM   #2
gypsyrose

Have a glass of water before eating each snack or meal and find ways to move regularly that you enjoy like walking, playing tennis, dancing.......
gypsyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2003, 07:41 PM   #3
stovertm

Replace one meal a day with a liquid diet shake. I prefer the "Scan Diet" brand because it is soy based and has less fat and fewer calories than Slim Fast.

Also, if you eat a lot of dairy products, replace them with either fat free or soy versions.

Also, just have one serving of bread per day.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 08:56 PM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I can probably give better advice on "how to get fat fast"

Anyway, many years ago I lost about 5 kg in one week: the key ingredient in that diet was a girl friend that found a new boyfriend.

No, I am not recomending separation!

Anyway, after I noticed that I lost 5 kg in a week I thought about how it happened, realized that all I did was eat exactly the same but less. So I continued the same diet, and lost 10 more kg in a few more weeks. Then I stayed the same weight for about a year or two, then I met my wife... and now I'm 30 kg heavier, and not planning on separating!

The most important thing about a diet, is that it should not be something temporary, but rather a new way of life, so you are looking for a way to keep eating what you like, but keeping less on your body!
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2003, 09:01 PM   #5
Gankaku

Edwin, I work at the healthfood store (currently, until I find my next dream computer job!) So I see a lot of people come in and tell me what works for them.

Pills: Most/all of those pills don't work, so avoid them. I have heard good things about Exolise (a green tea extract) but never tried it myself.

Diets: Also lots of people coming in are losing lots of weight on the Atkins diet. (Dr. Atkins just died last week from hitting his head after a fall on the ice). I don't agree with eating all that meat. However, people are doing it and losing weight and dropping cholesterol levels. It's all-protein and veggies for a time, then you can add some carbs back in (just a small amount). At some point though if you add too many carbs back into the diet, you'll gain again.

Depending on how you eat, a switch in your diet may do it. Like, if you eat alot of meats, try eating only veggies and whole grain foods. Eliminate dairy (as stovertm said), sugar, and white grained-food (white bread, pasta, rice) and substitute with whole grains. Or if you eat three times a day, try breaking it into six smaller meals.

Adding flax oil to the diet (and get rid of all other oils except olive oil for cooking) and add flax seeds to help keep things moving.

Also what I'm looking into (because even though I exercise but still have some weight around my waist that I can't get rid of) is a liver detox. Several people told me about this so I'm going to do one in a couple weeks. (I bought Renew Life's Cleansesmart and their Liver Detox.) People keep saying all these toxins are in our bodies and if we don't eat well, the liver can't process everything and it all ends up as more fat on our bodies.

Exercise: Check out Jorge Cruise's site I got his book from the library and did his plan for a month. I didn't lose weight but did lose inches. I think my weight thing is the liver issue, so I'm dealing with that and coming back to the exercises later. They don't take much time but keep you moving regularly and it's a motivational program. Get the book from your library.

You'll just have to try ideas and see what works for you, because what works for someone else might not work for you and visa versa. And it's probably not surprising but the thinnest people that come in to the store buy tons of vegetables, fruits and some bulk grain on occasion. I never see them buying any processed food. (I wish I would be better at that!)

Here are some other sites:

Linda Page's Healthy Healing - Weight Loss Page - she has a great reference book and also a great website! Tons of info.

On Amazon: Dr. Cabot's Liver Cleanse diet - just do a search on google and you'll find all kinds of testimonials about it.

Bernard Jensen's Guide to Natural Weight Control

Good luck and let us know what happens!
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2003, 09:15 PM   #6
Edwin
 Administrator 

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
Then I met my wife... and now I'm 30 kg heavier, and not planning on separating!
Funny, that's kind of my situation... not that I met her recently, but it's about time I address all the extra weight I've put on in over the 8 years since I got married. Not saying that I put on weight because of her, necessarily, but I guess it's mainly a more sedentary lifestyle (especially recently).

Anyway, I appreciate all the advice (keep it coming, folks) and I'll post an update in a few weeks if I can summon up the resolve to try a few things
Old 22 Apr 2003, 07:54 AM   #7
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Edwin, folks,

One thing that helped a lot with my mother is spending a lot of time finding out which sport you really like. She found out she's into Squash (erm, dunno if it's called the same across the globe, it's the racket game in a relatively small room with a line on the wall facing you).

Another tip that I heard/read somewhere recently: Try changing your general attitude towards moving. Toss the remote control away and just walk to your TV. Don't ride the elevator, use the stairs. Don't take the car for a 10-minute drive, go by bike or walk. In the past few decades 'moving' has become something people see as something one should avoid whenever possible... I try to go against that mentality by, for example, following the above tips, and some more. It may not be a miracle-cure for losing weight, but it's certainly not going to harm

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2003, 08:45 AM   #8
lux
The "e" in e-mail

I also heard that the doctor could do an operation to take the fat out. That's kinda of quick, but probably not painless...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2003, 12:58 PM   #9
Edwin
 Administrator 

Well, I've set myself up with a little spreadsheet that I can use to track progress vs a series of "targets". From tomorrow onwards my goal is to lose 100g (3.5oz) per day on average... I think I'll take up swimming again

If the above turns out to be too ambitious, I can cut back to 75g or even 50g per day and still see significant progress by the end of the year.

As I said before, I'll post an update in a few weeks!
Old 23 Apr 2003, 08:14 AM   #10
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by lux
I also heard that the doctor could do an operation to take the fat out. That's kinda of quick, but probably not painless...
That's a very good business for the doctor, since without changing eating habbits the fat would come back in no time at all!
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 02:36 PM   #11

I'd reccomend running. Theres nothing like running at the end of the day! Especially in the summer! I just love it, the addrenaline rush, the relaxation, plus it keeps you healthy. Even walkings great, I do that if I don't feel like running. Just try it, you might be surprised
And as an added bonus, since I've quit smoking, I get much better benefits from the exercise! (As a side note - I can actually breathe again too!!)

Dan.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 03:21 PM   #12
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

Exercise and diet are pretty personal. You have to do what works for you. I'm 50 and have kept fit most of my life either running and/or weight lifting. Mostly weights now and some exercise eguipment(concept2 rowing machine and a 100 lb. punching bag) do it for me.
I have a soy or whey protein smoothie for breakfast and after a workout.
Main thing with exercise and diet is to make sure you get lots of protein.
It is very satisfying to have the younger ladies checking you out too.
Good luck.

Last edited by beeboy : 22 Aug 2003 at 03:25 PM.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 03:55 PM   #13
Edwin
 Administrator 

Well, I've lost 1.5kg so far which isn't exactly the result I was hoping for, but at the same time I've been slacker than I probably should have been. Still, I've been doing some swimming and walking a lot more, so it's at least trending, albeit very slowly, in the right direction!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 04:41 PM   #14
COUME
Master of the @

Hello,
I did not noticed the thread earlier...

I know you are looking for something not requirring too much effort, but give a go to sport.
Oked from the beginning, I'm not fat as I do quite a lot of sport (martial arts, running, etc..).

I had once take some weight, I was mad... But within 1/2 week, I get rid off those 4kg... But 4 real kg of fats, not the kind of kilos I can lose in running 1-2h.

How?
Running everyday with multiple layers, sweating a lot, and eat a bit less than the amount of calories needed. But enough to get power to run and the motivation. (Take protein rather than real food is a good solution, but that's IMHO)
And drinks lots of water,to be all day long with your bottle.

btw, I was not liking to run before... But now, it's ok and I need to run almost everyday to empty my mind etc..
You start to like it in practicing and when you will be fit, there is no way you will want to get on fat again... Then you will run and run

Don't know if it can help but that's my way of doing.
Ludo

P.S.: Punching bag are great you cannot immagine how good it is to hit that stuff!
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 10:12 PM   #15
CyberSmurf

You have to do whatever works for your.

I've commited myself to losing weight a couple months ago.
I can't count calories or points or anything like that, so I'm just cutting out some things entirely or limiting myself.

First thing is no alcohol, that's totally unnecessary. I'm also cutting out meat, ice cream, pop, doughnuts, ...
I'm also avoiding juices except for tomato juice.
I guess willpower is a personal thing. It is easier for me to just not do it than to try to limit my portions or track my eating.

I just paused to go weigh myself and, yay, I've made this weeks target again. 2 pounds a week for the last 8 weeks. 7 more pounds and I will be back under 200. That's my first goal. After that, 190 (that's where I was 2 years ago). By the start of theatre season my jacket will fit right. (Knock on wood).
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote