EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Oct 2004, 09:01 AM   #1
rob_au
Master of the @

Representative of:
Bluebottle.com
U.S. voters swayed by political spam email

Quote:
MailFrontier™, a pioneer in email security and leading provider of anti-spam solutions, today announced survey findings that point to a potential sway in voting due to the influx of political spam. The independent survey found that when individuals viewed two political spam emails (one anti-Bush and one anti-Kerry), 21 percent responded that if they received such an email it would have an impact on how they vote in the 2004 presidential election.
From http://www.mailfrontier.com/press/press_politics.html - Never underestimate the persuasive power of spam!
rob_au is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Oct 2004, 06:32 PM   #2
petergh
Master of the @

I think there's a big difference between presenting those messages to the test group as part of an experiment or survey and sending it to them as an actual spam email. In the latter case, if I were in the survey group and actually read the message (which is very unlikely since it would be spam), I wouldn't even consider letting my political standpoint be influenced by it. I would trust the message it conveyed as much as I trust the people behind all the other spam messages I receive, which is to say not at all.

Peter
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2004, 07:49 PM   #3
teacher
Master of the @

Um, I see the UK following ...a certain party is already doing it!
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2004, 08:08 PM   #4
rob_au
Master of the @

Representative of:
Bluebottle.com
Quote:
Originally posted by teacher
Um, I see the UK following ...a certain party is already doing it!
There was instances of this occurring on behalf of the incumbent Liberal party in the Federal election in Australia which has just past - Additionally, this intrusive political advertising also took the form of automated telephone calls in marginal seats.
rob_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2004, 12:46 PM   #5
Shelded

Note we are only allowed to discuss this as spam and not politics. It's getting hazy here.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote