EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Jul 2023, 06:57 PM   #1
keithr

Search problems

Just noticed using Advanced search, if I search for emails from a certain individual, I get loads of results, but ones I know I have received from him in the last month or so, do not appear. I can look in the relevant folder and see them, but they are not listed doing advanced search.

To put some more flesh on the bones, If I search for his Surname in the Anywhere box, then the emails come up - but not if I search entering his email address in the from box.

Last edited by keithr : 8 Jul 2023 at 12:00 AM.
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jul 2023, 03:28 AM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
Just noticed using Advanced search, if I search for emails from a certain individual, I get loads of results, but ones I know I have received from him in the last month or so, do not appear. I can look in the relevant folder and see them, but they are not listed doing advanced search.

To put some more flesh on the bones, If I search for his Surname in the Anywhere box, then the emails come up - but not if I search entering his email address in the from box.

Are you certain that this person has not changed their email address in the last month?

Are the folders you're searching emails that came directly from (amongst others) this user? As opposed to - say - those from a mail-list or forum where the mail with have come from a mail-list or forum server in the name of your friend but not actually from their email address?

Fastmail's "globbing" in searches can do funny things. It's sometimes better to enclose a search argument in quotes to prevent that - have you tried it?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2023, 07:58 PM   #3
keithr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Are you certain that this person has not changed their email address in the last month?

Are the folders you're searching emails that came directly from (amongst others) this user? As opposed to - say - those from a mail-list or forum where the mail with have come from a mail-list or forum server in the name of your friend but not actually from their email address?

Fastmail's "globbing" in searches can do funny things. It's sometimes better to enclose a search argument in quotes to prevent that - have you tried it?
His email has not changed
The emails in question come directly from him
Putting is name in quotes (rather than selecting his email address in the from box) makes no difference.
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2023, 08:42 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I suggest looking at the raw message and examining the "From" header. Look carefully at the email address in that header. We assume you are using the From search field, have "Any time" shown in the Date field, and do not have the "Is unread", "Is pinned", or "Has an attachment" fields selected. And of course the Spam and Trash folders are by default not searched.

Is there something else unique in that message than you can search for in the message body or the subject?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2023, 09:01 PM   #5
chrisjj
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
Just noticed using Advanced search, if I search for emails from a certain individual, I get loads of results, but ones I know I have received from him in the last month or so, do not appear. I can look in the relevant folder and see them, but they are not listed doing advanced search. To put some more flesh on the bones, If I search for his Surname in the Anywhere box, then the emails come up - but not if I search entering his email address in the from box.
"Confused" is probably the FM index. I had problems which FM support suggested needed an index rebuild on my mailbox. This takes hours.

Definitely worth submitting a ticket, I would say.
chrisjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2023, 10:20 PM   #6
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
"Confused" is probably the FM index. I had problems which FM support suggested needed an index rebuild on my mailbox. This takes hours.

Definitely worth submitting a ticket, I would say.
How does a user get their index rebuilt? Does that require submitting a ticket? I'm confused.
GeraldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2023, 10:52 PM   #7
chrisjj
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldR View Post
How does a user get their index rebuilt? Does that require submitting a ticket? I'm confused.
Ticket is the only way know.

I hope that doesn't interfere with search during the process.
chrisjj is offline   Reply With Quote