EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 21 Nov 2005, 06:03 PM   #1
trew
Cornerstone of the Community

Using EMD at public computers How?

Would it be ok if I used an alternative username on EMD when I visit our local library or the 7Eleven one. Maybe McDonalnds will use Wifi WLAN too in the near future in every food place they have.

I could use trewpubl or similar username? So if the scriptkids in my smal lhometown has put a logger on the Library public computer then they only could use my alternative log in name here and I could still tell a moderator via my mobilephone that somebody took over my username and changed password? Just in case. I guess they are after backaccounts or other more monetary things then EMD but one never know.

How do you go about it when travelling and wanting to use EMD on public computers. Not all of them allow you to delete all cookies and history and such do they? that would not help if somebody had put their own progams on the machine?

trew
trew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Nov 2005, 10:11 AM   #2
dragon1

I've used a public computer at a cyber cafè in Mexico and deleted the cookies and temporary files from IE. If they objected, they didn't say anything to me when I paid for the session.

I think I did the same when I had to use the computers at my libary while mine was being serviced.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 03:12 AM   #3
mister
Essential Contributor

Some public computers have software that remove cookies and history after each user.Most libraries(that I've used) have this and won't allow you to manually delete.In case you aren't sure
you could use one of these sites http://anonycat.com/webproxylist.htm.They will keep your cookies (but not necessarily your history)
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 03:28 AM   #4
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Wow, you're even more suspicious than I am.

I use public computer all the time. I'm using one now. And I've never had any problem. I figure that not many people come to EMD, and they wouldn't really be interested in pretending to be me.

And some sites delete the cookies automatically, right?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2005, 03:50 PM   #5
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by webecedarian
Wow, you're even more suspicious than I am.

I use public computer all the time. I'm using one now. And I've never had any problem. I figure that not many people come to EMD, and they wouldn't really be interested in pretending to be me.

And some sites delete the cookies automatically, right?
Yea I'd agree, I would only worry about internet banking etc. It would be unlikely anyone would want to hijack and emd account.
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2005, 05:56 PM   #6
trew

To me there is no chance somebody would hijack my EMD account and be able to mimic my poor spelling and grammar.
I have such unique spelling errors that all of you would know something is spooky going on

It is more that me having such bad memory force me to use same password to all my accounts that they would see patterns making them able to log in to bank account maybe.

remember how they cracked codes in WW11 using patterns

trew

Last edited by trew : 27 Nov 2005 at 07:23 PM.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote