EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 31 Oct 2012, 06:21 AM   #1
mephistodan

The definite new interface gripes list

Let's consolidate all the missing features of the new interface in a single post/thread.

I will keep editing my post with new ones as I found them or as other people post here in this thread.

i have found many missing features but I have since switched back to the 'new classic' interface which has most of the old features.

Please help by adding more and/or suggesting clearer description for any feature that is already listed.

Quilleron has an impressive list as well which I have incorporated here as well

The list is: ( last updated 2012-11-06 )

INBOX
- Sort by size doesn't tell you wether it's showing smallest or largest first

- Sort by attachments doesn't exist

- Sort by From in Inbox and To in Sent folder

- Size of messages no longer displayed, this was a very useful feature when searching for empty emails that you remember being large/small enough or when you want to clear you big emails

- Option to create copies rather than moving when moving to a folder (really useful when creating many similar drafts)

- No display of time as well as date

- No ability to click the attachment icon to download from inbox without actually going into hte message

- Quick search for folders (WORKAROUND: Use keyboard shorcut g)

- [Empty] Link for folders who are set to have it is no longer there

- Actions and buttons at top and bottom of list

- Many of the actions:
Redirect
Forward as Attachments (this option exist when you view an email for one email only)
Download as Zip
Detach Attached Messages
Delete Permanently
Save Addresses - All, Sender, Recipient
Set Selected - Displayed, all in folder, deselect displayed

- Advanced search link

- Saved searches

- Ability to set preview on unread messages only

- The option to copy messages to another folder has disappeared.

- Navigate to messages 150-200 in list

- On the fly changing of number of messages displayed

(since new interface show you all what you have in the folder and allow you to scroll freely, it could be argued that the last two features were superseded rather than missing)

- Total size of each folder.

- Read AND unread message count next to each folder (some people report if you hover over the folder name they are displayed. In my case i only get 'This folder is empty.'

- Arrows next to folder names

- When 'view HTML' is unchecked in advanced settings, there is no longer a link to 'view HTML version' when viewing individual emails.

- Move to folder

- Edit as new

- Show full header

- File attachement to a storage folder

- Delete attachment

- Download Zip (only visible when more than one attachement in the new interface)

- After each message action go to: Next, Previous, N/P Unread, First Last, Folders

- Delete and Next/Previous

- Delete Pemanantly

- Mark IMAP Deleted

- show full header

- view as text

COMPOSE

- Quick contacts

- you can no longer "add from address book". Have to know the contacts name and use autofill

- Personality 'From' Edit button

- Attach multiple files

- Attach a file from storage folder

- All the options that used to exist at the bottom of the page:
Signature
Priority
Request read receipt
Save copy location
Text actions:
Insert Note
Insert Signature

- Text direction
Preview message
Check Spelling
No font and font size selection
No view HTML source

- The format button, when composing text-format emails (Oh yes, and you don't get all the options for that that you used to, like to prefix with ">" or not. If you convert to plain text, it puts in a ">" whether you want it or not (I do, as it happens). (workaround ctrl+M)

- Seems like some serious brokenness in the new compose screen - when editing text, if just a bit of a line is selected and then CTRL-X (or "edit->cut" in the menu) the entire rest of the line gets cut.

- Also, undo seems to undo a huge pile of changes at once, not just the most recent text edit - ie if I change one word, then move around and type something else, the undo stack doesn't get updated and instead UNDO will undo all of these changes.
FYI, I've tested this on Firefox and Chrome, on a Macbook Pro and an Air.

MISC:
- Fastcheck no longer working.

- Notes no longer show you last time they were saved

- Ability to adjust the UI using custom CSS and javascript

- Discontinued themes

- no cache

- set autologout time

- Web UI on android doesn't work as it doesn't detect it as mobile phone

Last edited by mephistodan : 7 Nov 2012 at 02:56 AM.
mephistodan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Oct 2012, 06:31 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Ability to adjust the UI using custom CSS and javascript

Discontinued themes

(Will think of others when less tired)
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 06:35 AM   #3
hsuodhf93

Total size of each folder. This, along with size of each email, was useful when looking to delete emails to save space.

Perhaps they want to us to buy more space instead of prune our messages?
hsuodhf93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 06:40 AM   #4
johanborg
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Opera.com
A few of these have workarounds (thanks for the summary, feel free to order it by priority too so we get a sense of what matters most for people)

1. quick search for folders

Shortcut 'g' to show search field (sorry, very hidden!)

3. edit personality button on compose screen

Set up a personality with e-mail address *@example.com (* wildcard) and you will get a box to write addresses in for the chosen domain.

4. forward as attachment

It's in the More menu in the header bar of a message

5. delete and next

There's an option for setting this as the default action after delete.
johanborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 06:42 AM   #5
hsuodhf93

When 'view HTML' is unchecked in advanced settings, there is no longer a link to 'view HTML version' when viewing individual emails.
hsuodhf93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 06:48 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Review this related thread also
Old 31 Oct 2012, 06:50 AM   #7
CWW

The option to copy messages to another folder has disappeared.

In the settings, under "Conversations," the "show every message separately" option doesn't work
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 07:22 AM   #8
mephistodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanborg View Post
A few of these have workarounds (thanks for the summary, feel free to order it by priority too so we get a sense of what matters most for people)

1. quick search for folders

Shortcut 'g' to show search field (sorry, very hidden!)

3. edit personality button on compose screen

Set up a personality with e-mail address *@example.com (* wildcard) and you will get a box to write addresses in for the chosen domain.

4. forward as attachment

It's in the More menu in the header bar of a message

5. delete and next

There's an option for setting this as the default action after delete.
Thanks for the tip about the search shortcut

as for forward as attachment it's in fact missing, it does exist when you are viewing the email (which is not particularly useful to me at least) but it doesn't exist in inbox where it matters most as I frequently select multiple emails and then forward them all as attachements in a single email.

Last edited by mephistodan : 31 Oct 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 07:29 AM   #9
tedla

Moving

Moving the current message to a folder was done by one click. I could just go through my inbox and move all messages to the appropriate folder very quickly.
The new interface makes me go to "Move to", scroll to find the folder, and one more click to move the message. This is unacceptable.
tedla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 07:37 AM   #10
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedla View Post
Moving the current message to a folder was done by one click. I could just go through my inbox and move all messages to the appropriate folder very quickly.
The new interface makes me go to "Move to", scroll to find the folder, and one more click to move the message. This is unacceptable.
To be fair, you can also use the (error prone) mouse click-drag-drop. This method is actually pretty standard in other applications. I prefer the classic interface approach, but this is one change FM can defend, I think, on the basis of consistency and familiarity for new users.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 08:04 AM   #11
aynrandgirl

login features are missing:

no cache
set autologout time
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 08:43 AM   #12
mephistodan

Some say there's a workaround for the 'edit' personality button. the work around doesn't replace the old functionality completely here's a quote from a different thread explaining why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephistodan View Post
There are ways to make us 'better citizens' without affecting the user experience in such a bad way.

The reason why the new way doesn't work for me is this:

I often give custom email aliases on the fly when for example signing up for a forum, i use the forumname@myuser.mydomain.com

I might later receive occasional communication on that email. with the old interface i can quickly edit the from email to use the same email address. With the new interface i have to go and create a personality for each alias/domain??!! really? how does that makes us better citizens?

If you're worried about spam checkers then you can easily validate the 'from' entry before sending the message and only proceed to send it if the part after @ indeed belongs to the current account.

What do you think?
Old 31 Oct 2012, 09:41 AM   #13
bcook

Chrome Shortcoming

For me, in Chrome, the new UI does not line up correctly. The "Mark" dialog, which in other browsers shows up to the immediate right of the "Move to" dialog, in Chrome is wrapped to the next line and overlays the "check all" box. Maybe somewhat a good thing, since with no pages, "check all" really means check everything in the folder! But still not right.
bcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 11:31 AM   #14
JMac
Essential Contributor

When I click to show images within a message there is no way to make that stick. For that matter, there is no option to show all images, for all messages.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 12:00 PM   #15
upilogue

I think the main ones have already been addressed.

- There is too much wasted whitespace. I understand aesthetics, but the waste is too much.

Reading a long message side-by-side, classic and new, you can see the wasteland. New UI would require us to scroll more.
upilogue is offline   Reply With Quote