EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 3 Jan 2015, 09:25 PM   #1
jl66
Essential Contributor

IMAP very slow

I am facing some problems with IMAP in Runbox.
I have always used Thunderbird without problems, but these last days IMAP is not working as fast as before, in fact it´s very slow when I click on some folders like Trash or Sent.
I don´t know if it´s due to the SSD drives, or if you are changing some other things, but I hope you will fix it soon. Thanks.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Jan 2015, 02:37 AM   #2
OLee

IMAP Very Slow

I have also been experiencing very slow IMAP results using Roundcube. Especially when attempting to open the Trash folder and sometimes others. Occasionally, I receive an error message about the "Gateway" not working. I can't remember the exact wording.

When that happens I go into another folder and then go back and try the Trash folder again. Everything eventually works, however, it's just really slow. I have only about 300 messages in the Trash folder.

This is not a complaint from me, I'm just providing information from out here in the field.

OLee
OLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2015, 04:02 AM   #3
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thanks for the feedback.

We are just now starting to move users who have requested it onto SSD storage, so any slowness would be caused by regular storage and the old IMAP software (which we are preparing to replace shortly).

Just tell us your Runbox username via our support address and we'll move you over to SSD storage.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2015, 04:33 AM   #4
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

We are just now starting to move users who have requested it onto SSD storage, so any slowness would be caused by regular storage and the old IMAP software (which we are preparing to replace shortly).

Just tell us your Runbox username via our support address and we'll move you over to SSD storage.

- Geir
How long will it take to be moved to the SSD storage (I have no idea how you're doing it, if you're moving 1 by 1 or all at once..)?
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2015, 05:37 AM   #5
jl66
Essential Contributor

I will do it.

Thank you Geir!

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

- Geir
Old 4 Jan 2015, 03:18 PM   #6
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
How long will it take to be moved to the SSD storage (I have no idea how you're doing it, if you're moving 1 by 1 or all at once..)?
The haven't done it yet, as soon as it's possible they will begin.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 09:50 AM   #7
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
jl66 and 17pm: You are both on SSD now.

You can verify this by checking Storage Details on the Account screen.

- Geir
Old 5 Jan 2015, 02:43 PM   #8
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:

- Geir
Thank you very much Geir
Old 6 Jan 2015, 01:40 AM   #9
na_mirage

I'm seeing this too.
Very slow display of IMAP folders that have typically only a few very small messages in them.

Maybe since the 2nd week of December.
I was just putting up with it.

I don't know why the 'old storage' or software would have anything to do with it, unless Runbox has picked up a load of new users recently.

Anyway, could you push me over to the SSD storage backend, so I can see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

-------------------

+ missed the bit about sending off a support ticket.
I've done this now.

Last edited by na_mirage : 6 Jan 2015 at 02:31 AM.
na_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2015, 01:57 AM   #10
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:

- Geir
Thanks! Though I'm not happy you knowing who i am! Oh well.

One question: What would happen if everyone wanted to move to the SSD storage? Would you have space for everyone?
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2015, 02:45 AM   #11
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
Thanks! Though I'm not happy you knowing who i am! Oh well.

One question: What would happen if everyone wanted to move to the SSD storage? Would you have space for everyone?
Well, we have moved everyone who had requested it thus far.

We currently have room for around 1/3 of our user base on SSD storage. We are going to triple our SSD storage capacity and are planning to move all accounts over in the next few months.

- Geir
Old 6 Jan 2015, 06:39 AM   #12
jl66
Essential Contributor

Geir: IMAP is working slowly yet, maybe it´s not about the SSD storage but another thing.
Old 6 Jan 2015, 06:59 AM   #13
ttownsend9

Also Having IMAP Slowdowns

I apologize if it's not appropriate to tack on to this thread, but for the past 4 or 5 days, I too have been experiencing a dramatic slowdown on both of my Runbox e-mail accounts, not only during the initial folder synchronization, but also when attempting to navigate between folders. I'm using Outlook and in some cases, attempting to navigate from one IMAP folder to another can take up to 45 seconds or more ( and in one case, 2 minutes), during which time Outlook displays "Not Responding". Furthermore, I now seem to mysteriously have multiple Inbox folders, as well as multiple Trash and Sent folders; and when I try to access my accounts via the Web Mail Manager, I've noticed that most of my IMAP folders are no longer showing up there at all.

I opened a ticket with Runbox a couple of days ago, and we seem to have ruled out an internet connection problem. I also tried installing Thunderbird, but I'm seeing similar behavior there too. My last communication from Runbox support was also a couple of days ago, so I figured that while I'm waiting for the next response, I'd post the issue here to see if anyone else is experiencing this problem. In my support ticket, I didn't specifically ask to me moved to SSD, and honestly, I'm not certain that has anything to do with my problem.

However, I'm curious if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone.
ttownsend9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2015, 08:20 AM   #14
na_mirage

Well mines not that bad, but it has got noticably slower for me.
This morning was bad. It was about 30 seconds to switch folders on thunderbird and K9 mail imap polling on android actually gave me a socket disconnected error which is very unusual.

My guess is that Runbox have had to change the storage backend slightly in order to support the new SSD's and the tinkering has somehow had an impact on the normal storage.

I hope that the SSD backend isn't using NFS. That'd be such a waste of performance.
na_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2015, 09:19 PM   #15
jl66
Essential Contributor

Or maybe with many new RB users the bandwith is very limited.