EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 17 Dec 2003, 03:59 PM   #1
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Dr WHO?

I recently read a magazine that there was a Dr Who show in the late 90s. Anyone can update me if they have revive the Dr Who shows that used to shown in the early 80s.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Dec 2003, 05:18 PM   #2
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

I remember there being a Dr Who special around that time, one of the McGann brothers played the doc. It was very good, and I was hoping at the time that it would develop into a full series. But it was not to be

Hope this helps

Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2003, 10:11 PM   #3
kingdonk

Dr Who

Are you on about the Dr Who program, from the UK that was shown on BBC2.
It was a long running program with many series and a very large fan base like Starwars.
Is this the Dr Who you are on about?
kingdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Yes. That is the Dr Who I am asking about. I used to watch that show when I was very small. I can't understand a thing the show was about but I enjoy watching the Dr uses the phone booth. The only villains I remember are the Darleks. They are a symbol for Dr Who villains.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 10:37 PM   #5
kingdonk

Darleks

I can remember the program, but thinking about it, i carnt even remember what it was about.
The darleks went much of a villan thou, i can remember them being scary, but now you see them and it looks very cheap and rubbish.
Below are two links, one is the official home page and the other is from the offical home page, with more information.
Dont know if it will be of any interest or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/...ry/index.shtml
Old 17 Dec 2003, 10:38 PM   #6
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Thanks for the link. Hopefully they would have some interesting informations there.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 01:52 AM   #7
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Apparently there is a new series in the pipeline written by "Queer As Folk" author, Russell T Davies.

Thankfully the 90's Americanized version with Paul McGann never took off, it was quite dreadful.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2003, 05:16 PM   #8
kingdonk

Dr Who

I have never seen the Americanized version as i am in the uk, but i dont think anything English has realy taken off once Americanized, but the Americans seem to like the English version, so why not launch the English one instead of changing it?

The new series will be good.
On a differnt subject, do you watch, or have you heard of a commedian called Graham Norton, UK channel four, this week he was is LA and after new years he will be in New York presenting his new show.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 05:20 PM   #9
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I haven't seen any americian version too. There are some elements in the original series which can't be produce easily by anyone other than the British themselves.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 07:10 PM   #10
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus

Thankfully the 90's Americanized version with Paul McGann never took off, it was quite dreadful.
I disagree Doc, I thought it was really good, and it brought the program up to date using new technology. The old episodes look so corny when viewed these days! Just goes to show "you can't please all of the people all of the time" Not for the Dr Who purists may be?

Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2003, 07:27 PM   #11
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44
I disagree Doc, I thought it was really good, and it brought the program up to date using new technology. The old episodes look so corny when viewed these days! Just goes to show "you can't please all of the people all of the time" Not for the Dr Who purists may be?

Malc
I agree on the "corny" part. The Dr Who show was supposed to be a children's show was it?
Old 18 Dec 2003, 07:32 PM   #12

I remember Dr Who's last series screening on the Abc when I was about 5. Since then I don't think that they have shown it again.

dan
Old 18 Dec 2003, 07:34 PM   #13
kingdonk

DR Who

It was not meant to be a kids show, it was a show for adults and a great show for the time, very popular and to show how corney it is now, the Darleks were scary to some people, especialy children.
Goes to show how things change in time.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 07:40 PM   #14
kingdonk

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormcrow
I remember Dr Who's last series screening on the Abc when I was about 5. Since then I don't think that they have shown it again.

dan
In the UK it has been shown on UK Gold since, its a channel that shows old favorites.

The BBC (The people that help finace and showed Dr Who) wanted to bring out a new version of the show recently but the man who created the show, owns the rights to the Darleks or some thing like that and has died, his last wish was for the BBC not to use his creations any more so i think they have scraped the idea of creating a new series of Dr Who.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 08:09 PM   #15
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Why is it that only the Darleks can't be use? I would assume any Dr Who related characters will be locked out too if that is true.