EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Apr 2011, 08:25 AM   #16
brownb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
And your account still functions the same way, and offers the same features as the day you purchased it -- with 16 MB. Why would you expect them to upgrade your mailbox for free?
Actually it doesn't. Basic spam filtering which was on the account (IIRC) was removed during the "update" to spam assassin (or whatever it's called) but I'm still permitted to report spam - how gracious to allow me to improve other users' spam filtering*!

In any case as part of Opera calling the shots now I was hoping their management might see the light and update everybodies mailbox (note thread title) to a more realistic size. This isn't upgrading because I'd still have a relatively small quota compared to other account types. The way I see it is that this is no different than when my original quota went up from 4MB (or was it 10MB?) to 16MB and it benefits everyone (more potential customers, keep existing customers happy so they're less likely to wonder WTF they're paying for a 1GB account for when Google offer just shy of 8GB free).

*Perhaps I should be getting paid for marking spam too, why should I be marking emails as spam free of charge? Yes of course many Fastmail users do it free (and get filtered in return), but I can take the Fastmail model and charge... I would of course provide a better service and customer support and if I make a mistake they can complain to me because they're paying for it. Screw the thousands of Fastmail users doing it for free, I'm better because Fastmail can pay me - but please note, I'm only going to mark 20 spam emails a month. Fastmail need to pay more for a bigger spam marking quota

Last edited by brownb2 : 14 Apr 2011 at 08:35 AM.
brownb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownb2 View Post
but I'm still permitted to report spam - how gracious to allow me to improve other users' spam filtering*!
You do realize that Gmail's reporting of Spam/Not Spam operates the same way, don't you? Gmail does have outstanding spam filtering, but that doesn't happen by magic. It happens by users clicking those little buttons and helping to improve the experience for everyone else.

Paul
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2011, 04:43 PM   #18
brownb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfolson View Post
You do realize that Gmail's reporting of Spam/Not Spam operates the same way, don't you?
Paul
You do realise I DON'T have spam filtering on my account so my example of being paid for it, a la Fastmail's business model, is a good example since I don't reap any benefits?

Benjamin

Last edited by brownb2 : 15 Apr 2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 05:09 PM   #19
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
You do realise I DON'T have spam filtering on my account
As a matter of information, basic spam filtering applies to all accounts. What you lack is the Spam Assassin/sieve script based filtering.

Of course, this still means that the spam reporting does not help you directly, but still ...
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2011, 05:42 PM   #20
rblon
Essential Contributor

I tend to agree with brownb2 that FastMail storage quota's are a bit low compared to the competition. If you want to convince a price conscious customers to get an ad free account (for $4.95 a year) instead of Gmail (for $0 per year), I imagine that 100MB storage instead of 7GB can be an issue.

I am aware FastMail has increased the quota's a couple of times in the past (last year ad free went from 50MB to 100MB), but I think it would improve competitiveness if they offer a better deal in terms of storage.
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2011, 06:08 PM   #21
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

I agree it would be great if quotas were increased. If FM wants to do that, fine. I'm not sure I see a real marketing benefit, since even a few gigabytes of storage aren't really going to compete with the Gmail juggernaut. But it could help a little bit, and it would also be a nice way to thank loyal users.

However, while it would be a nice touch, I don't think FM is under any business or moral obligation to increase storage or otherwise upgrade services, especially for customers with free accounts or who paid a token one-time fee eight years ago and have never paid a penny since. I'd say a customer who bought a Member account in 2003 has gotten pretty fair service for their $1.86 a year (and decreasing by the minute) investment.

Paul
Old 14 Apr 2011, 09:05 PM   #22
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
In any case as part of Opera calling the shots now I was hoping their management might see the light and update everybodies mailbox (note thread title) to a more realistic size.
I guess I'm just not sympathetic to your cause in this case. Being that it was a one-time fee, you knew what you were getting. (BTW, don't you still have "basic" spam filtering?) If you have new/different needs that your current level doesn't provide, you should consider upgrading.

Now if you have a yearly subscription, I could understand your desire for FM to remain competitive, keep your business here, and upgrade storage/features/bandwidth, etc.

Quote:
*Perhaps I should be getting paid for marking spam too, why should I be marking emails as spam free of charge? Yes of course many Fastmail users do it free (and get filtered in return), but I can take the Fastmail model and charge...
Hehehehe..

Last edited by sflorack : 14 Apr 2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: formatted quote incorrectly
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2011, 09:11 PM   #23
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblon View Post
If you want to convince a price conscious customers to get an ad free account (for $4.95 a year) instead of Gmail (for $0 per year), I imagine that 100MB storage instead of 7GB can be an issue.
I agree in THIS case, but not with brownb2.

The difference being subscription model vs. one-time fee.

If I sign up for a Netflix subscription, I get all current and future releases. If I buy a VHS tape at Amazon, I am not entitled to the same title when is released on DVD or subsequently on Blu-ray, etc.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 02:29 AM   #24
brownb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post

Hehehehe..
It might have been a bit of a humorous analogy but I hope you can see where it was going - just because there's a charge doesn't mean it's better and I honestly wouldn't expect Fastmail to pay me for marking spam given others do it free so why should I be pay them for email when there are likewise free alternatives?

With re. to your other post, I'm not sure what you disagree with, but I'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by brownb2 : 15 Apr 2011 at 03:38 AM.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 02:39 AM   #25
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
It might have been a bit of a humorous analogy but I hope you can see where it was going
Indeed. There can certainly be a shortage of that around here.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 12:10 PM   #26
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Brownb2,
I certainly see how you feel you took a risk signing up for the $14 service.

You have to remember that gmal and fastmail are completely different business models. If you want to compare add-free to google, you have to compare to google's add-free offering, which I believe is $50 per year.

Google's free account: Google is not an email company. Google is an advertising company, and they make money by researching you, your emails, what you talk about, what you email about, what websites you go to, knowing what bank, news sites, social networking sites, etc that you use, where you access the Internet, what you do while you are on the Internet in various locations, knowing where you live, connecting that with average incomes for that area, knowing where you access your email from your office, therefore knowing where you work or go to school, and they can probably judge based on where you live, and go to work, and then probably what industry you work in. Google looks at what you buy, so they know your style, your preferences, they know the pictures you post on picasa, etc. etc. etc. Google takes all this information and makes money on you by selling statistical data to other companies. They also target you with specific advertising.... This is BIG revenue for Google. Just look at the latest issue with the google phone. It reports back to google on your every move, and your every location, the wireless networks you connect to at home, at work, and the wireless networks available wherever you go. Google makes a lot by selling this information about YOU.

Fastmail, on the other hand, makes money by selling a good email product. They can offset the cost of this by offering a subsidized product with limited advertising, however they are not doing the complex amount of research on you that google is. They make money simply by selling good quality email service, not by selling market research data about you. I and many others choose Fastmail - and choose to risk $40 per year for that good, private, email service. In fact, I've been paying that price since 2003.

For me, the "Risk" is going to something like Google.

Everything costs something. The question is, what are you willing to pay?
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 03:23 PM   #27
rblon
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
If you want to compare add-free to google, you have to compare to google's add-free offering, which I believe is $50 per year.
I assumed paying $50 means you get ad free email, but datamining still goes on
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2011, 07:45 PM   #28
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblon View Post
I assumed paying $50 means you get ad free email, but datamining still goes on
Absolutely correct. But think of all the benefits. Paid Google Apps allows you to store so much more e-mail ... so they can do so much more datamining.

Paul
Old 26 Apr 2011, 02:58 PM   #29
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfolson View Post
Absolutely correct. But think of all the benefits. Paid Google Apps allows you to store so much more e-mail ... so they can do so much more datamining.

Paul
Yes, what I wrote seemed to imply that they didn't. Paying them $50 just allows them to do it more efficiently, and in greater quantities. It allows you to subsidize their cost of researching your private information yourself, instead of allowing advertisers subsidize it for you.

[sarcasm] In many ways, paying Google $50 is such a win/win for everybody. [/sarcasm]
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 01:58 AM   #30
JMac
Essential Contributor

As for me, I hope they don’t expand the Free accounts at all. I still come across web sites that don’t allow me to register with any "free email accounts" but that also refuse my FM account, along with my aliases using FM's alternate domains. When I inquire as to why since my account is most definitely not free (I have an Enhanced account) I've been told that FM is on their blacklist. Now as far as I know FM is NOT presently on any blacklists, at least not the major ones that can be easily checked, but at one time when they had a lot of free accounts they did have many users who abused the system with spam. Apparently that rep never dies for some companies. So truth be told, I would prefer that they avoid the free service; there are plenty others out there for those seeking free email accounts!

Thanks!

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote