EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 8 Jul 2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Joseph3_98

Thunderbird Help Needed

I just recently downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird in hopes I could get up to date secure IMAP and SMTP. I have it now, but there's one thing about it that I still can't figure out. How do you set it to where you can have it download all messages locally but still keep them on the server?

That was a feature that I wanted to keep from Outlook Express, and with this software being open source, I figured it would be my best chance to accomplish that, but I can't figure out what the steps are.

Any help is appreciated.

Joseph Watson
Joseph3_98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jul 2005, 10:54 AM   #2
ReuvenNY

If you use IMAP protocol, it's easy.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2005, 10:54 AM   #3
Javier
Master of the @

By default, if you use IMAP to access your server, all messages are in the server. If you want, you can indicate that this IMAP folder make a copy of all messages to be used while offline/disconected.

If you take with the mouse all the messages and you move the mouse to a local folder, messages will be moved from the server. But you can use copy from the right button menu or move with the mouse but pressing simultaneously the Ctrl key.

EDIT: One IMAP folder can be configured to be used offline just right clicking on it and selecting "Properties"
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2005, 11:18 AM   #4
war17
The "e" in e-mail

The leave copy on server setting is there. Go to your account, Server Settings. About the eighth check box down is "Leave messages on server".
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2005, 02:29 PM   #5
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

For POP, do as war17 says. For IMAP to download all your messages to your local machine (the messages are on your server by definition, so you don't have to worry about messages being deleted while you download), follow this: Tools - Account Settings [your IMAP account] - Offline and Diskspace - Select Folders for Offline use, and check off the folders whose messages you would like to make available offline (i.e. download to your local machine).
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote