EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 6 Apr 2006, 07:27 AM   #1
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Beta IMAP problems

Here are some problems I've recently seen with the beta DBMail IMAP server (port 1143):

(1) Incorrect Read(Seen) and Unread(Unseen) status
Uploaded messages that were unread and now marked read. The current IMAP server (port 143) properly maintains the read/unread state.

(2) Incorrect Message Date/Time
Date/Time stamps can be off (sometimes way off). A message that had a time stamp of "23.03.2006 19:38", which is correct, when uploaded with the current IMAP server appears as "23.03.2006 12:35" when uploaded with the beta DBMail IMAP server (port 143). Another message which had a time start of "03.05.2005 12:18" when uploaded with the current IMAP server appears as "18.01.2038 22:14" when uploaded with the beta DBMail IMAP server.

(3) Downloading only Date, From and Suject headers
When downloading a large number of messages (full message not just headers) the downloading switched from sending full messages to only sending Date, From and Subject headers.

I do my testing with Windows XP. The IMAP clients I test with are Thunderbird 1.0.6, Thunderbird 1.5 and Outlook Express 6. I also do some testing with Python scripts.

If you can confirm any of these problems it might be helpful to know what system and email clients you are using.

Regards,
Rich

Last edited by carverrn : 7 Apr 2006 at 02:15 AM.
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Apr 2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Everyone: Please post your IMAP problems here instead of starting new threads.

Include as much information as possible, including username, folder, and message ID (as seen in the Webmail URL), if relevant. Log excerpts are also helpful if you know what you're doing.

Let's focus on the critical or most widespread problems first.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2006, 08:48 PM   #3
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by rishi
Just one doubt - if i were to transfer my mails into Runbox and there might be all sorts of problems. At some point IMAP will get resolved , will all these mails be sorted out properly ?
As far as I can tell, most of the problems are when the message information is inserted into the Runbox database. As long as the upload succeeds, the full messages appear to be stored on the server and can still be downloaded.

If the full message exists, the Runbox database could be corrected by rescanning the messages and updating the entries. This could either be done automatically by Runbox on all accounts, automatically by the user by selecting a Runbox implemented account option or manually by the user by downloading then re-uploading the messages.

(4) DBMail internal dbase error...

The only exception so far is a problem I ran into last night. Some of my messages failed to upload properly. Outlook Express received an error from the server "internal dbase error storing message". After this there is an entry in the web interface folder listing for the message but if you try to access it you get the error message " Your mails are temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." And if you view the folder from the current IMAP server (port 143) they do not appear but if you view them from the DBMail IMAP server you only get the From, Subject and Date fields (the same fields visible from the web interface).

I would suggest keeping a backup of all uploaded messages.

Regards,
Rich

Last edited by carverrn : 7 Apr 2006 at 02:08 AM.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 01:23 AM   #4
zapata
Essential Contributor

hmm, the beta runbox imap server returns nothing but From, Subject and Date for all messages in my Inbox. :-(

Sylpheed logs:

getting message 681710...
[18:07:11] IMAP4> 22 UID FETCH 681710 BODY.PEEK[]
[18:07:11] IMAP4< * 2 FETCH (BODY[] {176}
[18:07:11] IMAP4< UID 681710)
[18:07:11] IMAP4< 22 OK UID FETCH completed

Messages in my Sent folders look OK.

Last edited by zapata : 7 Apr 2006 at 01:30 AM.
zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2006, 02:17 AM   #5
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by zapata
hmm, the beta runbox imap server returns nothing but From, Subject and Date for all messages in my Inbox. :-(
Sounds like you're seeing problem (3) too.

Rich
Old 8 Apr 2006, 05:51 AM   #6
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

blank email downloads

As previously stated, I'm still encountering problems where the messages appear to download, but appear blank when viewing. I'm using Apple Mail.
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2006, 05:51 AM   #7
zapata
Essential Contributor

Yeah, same problem with muttng.

[1:muttlib.c:666:_mutt_mktemp()] message.c:356: mutt_mktemp returns "/home/herbert/.muttng/.tmp/muttng-oslo-1001-80266-20-3d0b89ab20ddbab0".
[2:mutt_socket.c:99:mutt_socket_write_d()] > a0028 UID FETCH 697148 BODY.PEEK[]^M
[2:mutt_socket.c:170:mutt_socket_readln_d()] < * 13 FETCH (BODY[] {232}
[2:command.c:486:cmd_parse_fetch()] Handling FETCH
[1:command.c:507:cmd_parse_fetch()] FETCH response ignored for this message
[2:imap.c:192:imap_read_literal()] reading 232 bytes
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?B?UmVzdG9zIGR1IGNvZXVyIDogTGUgbm91dmVhdSBDRC8gRFZEIGRlcyBFbmZvaXLpcyBldCBsZXMgbm91dmVsbGVzIG9mZnJlcyBBbWF6b24uZnIgI
Date: Wed Apr 5 03:57:33 2006

[2:mutt_socket.c:170:mutt_socket_readln_d()] < UID 697148)
[2:mutt_socket.c:170:mutt_socket_readln_d()] < a0028 OK UID FETCH completed
Old 8 Apr 2006, 06:00 AM   #8
zapata
Essential Contributor

muttng also displays:

[-- Error: Could not display any parts of Multipart/Alternative! --]

It seems that the new imap server is not ready anytime soon. :-(
Old 9 Apr 2006, 02:28 PM   #9
erkdog

I'm having the Read / Unread swapped status issue with Beta IMAP.

I think it was determined to only be affecting hosted accounts??

You can look at

erkdog |||at||| towfowi.com or

ogmare |||at||| towfowi.com

Thanks!

P.S. Are messages going to be rescanned when DBMail IMAP is up so that appropriate date / time shows in webmail instead of nothing?

Thanks!
erkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2006, 02:30 PM   #10
erkdog

Quote:
Originally posted by rishi

Just one doubt - if i were to transfer my mails into Runbox and there might be all sorts of problems. At some point IMAP will get resolved , will all these mails be sorted out properly ?
rishi, upload your e-mails with the production IMAP server 113.

I uploaded about 3,000 messages today on my moms and didn't have problem #1, other than the fact date / time doesn't show on webmail, which is not really -that- big of an issue.
erkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

'blank email' issue status

Any progress on the 'blank email' problem? I'm still encountering it.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 12:11 AM   #12
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

dates

Also, all my date/time stamps (in my webmail sent mail) are the same: 19.01.2038 03:14 It appears this only happens when I send via IMAP.

I'm hoping that there will be a way to correct both the date/time and blank mails problem at the same time (soon!).
Old 19 Apr 2006, 01:41 AM   #13
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Re: dates

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreambiz
I'm hoping that there will be a way to correct both the date/time and blank mails problem at the same time (soon!).
Keep in mind that the beta testing for the DBMail IMAP server is just that ... testing. Which means anyone using it is accepting that they are helping to test the server to find and report problems.

If you run into problems using the beta IMAP for uploading and downloading messages which are unacceptable for normal use then you should switch to the official IMAP server (port 143) until the beta IMAP server is fixed and stable (at which point it will become the official IMAP server).

I typically only use test folders and copies of messages when working with the beta IMAP server just in case there are problems. That way I won't lose my real messages.

Regards,
Rich
Old 21 Apr 2006, 10:00 PM   #14
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
These issues should be resolved now -- at least they cannot be reproduced here.

If you're still having problems, please try removing the IMAP account from your client and set it up again.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2006, 11:44 PM   #15
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I'll try to do some retesting on these this weekend to see if they're fixed for my examples.

Rich