EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 5 Mar 2019, 07:57 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Facebook shares your 2FA phone number

Apparently Facebook has been letting people search for you, including advertisers, based on the phone number you use to get SMS codes for authentication. And, the number is shared with Instagram and Whatsapp, and apparently vice versa. In other words, you're probably screwed one way or another because even if you didn't give your phone number to one of these probably someone you know has shared their address with your phone number in it. I wonder how many email providers use your phone number for targeting purposes?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/fa...rch,38740.html
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Mar 2019, 07:58 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Apparently Facebook has been letting people search for you, including advertisers, based on the phone number you use to get SMS codes for authentication. And, the number is shared with Instagram and Whatsapp, and apparently vice versa. In other words, you're probably screwed one way or another because even if you didn't give your phone number to one of these probably someone you know has shared their address with your phone number in it. I wonder how many email providers use your phone number for targeting purposes?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/fa...rch,38740.html
This is one reason I no longer let my phone ring except for a very few trusted contacts that I know I want to hear from. If it is important people leave a message.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 08:42 AM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @

Facebook is quite bad!!!!

Just a mining operation.............. (Info collecting,etc)

Best to block them and stay as far away as ya can!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2019, 10:48 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I would drop them in a minute if my employment didn't require me to be able to post on FB. Plus, where I live it is used by everyone like the classified ad section of the newspaper or Craigslist. It is the only way to buy or sell anything locally. Is Facebook about to change the way it works: https://www.axios.com/facebooks-bigg...0c2d0d056.html

Last edited by TenFour : 7 Mar 2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 07:01 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm okay with Facepalm (that's what I call Facebook). They do not have my cell phone number. They ask from time to time when I log in, tell me it's for my benefit or something like that. I just answer with "not now".

If it wasn't for a few good friends and relatives and a page I manage for a NGO I belong to, I'd probably close my account. Than again, a positive aspect is a friend of mine and I lost touch over the years. I've looked for him many times. Last Tuesday I got a message in Messenger, it was my friend, he said he finally remembered my name and found my profile, hoping it was me. It was. I've reconnected with a few high school classmate also. I've also connect with folks I worked with ages ago. On this aspect, I like Facepalm.

Last edited by chrisretusn : 8 Mar 2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Proof reading after posting. When will I learn? grin
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 01:06 PM   #6
spamsux

It seems that every week "Fakebook" is in the news with another problem with user privacy. Now it seems they "accidentally" uploaded user contact lists.

Story here.

I have another name for them, but I can't use it here.
spamsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 01:13 PM   #7
spamsux

And this one:
Quote:
There were the 540 million Facebook records containing personal data found on unsecured servers; hundreds of millions of Facebook users’ passwords stored in plain text and searchable to more than 20,000 Facebook employees; and yesterday’s announcement that the company had “unintentionally uploaded” 1.5 million users’ email contacts without consent.

Now, we've learned of another blunder impacting Instagram users.
Complete story here.
spamsux is offline   Reply With Quote