EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 11 Jun 2014, 12:41 AM   #1
nils77

Why Runbox should start working on Calendar & Contact Sync

Dear Runbox,

you claim that the reason that many customers start with Runbox are privacy issues of other mail providers such as *Mail or *ahoo. Your services convince a lot of people to really make the change and go back to the roots and start pay a fee for email. So far so good.

Looking at your strategy it seems that "free" Email providers are your main competitors. As a player on the global markets you should closely investigate what others do in order to fix and improve your own product portfolio.

From a Marketing point of view I believe it is time that Runbox should seriously think and act about implementing a Calendar & Contact Sync feature. When you look at your competition they offer "all from one hand" which is actually the reason for their massive success.

I am well aware that this topic was discussed many times already, but, if Runbox wants to continue digging off customers at the "big" ones you NEED to start thinking and implementing the features Calendar & Contacts Sync.

Of course this costs money, of course this requires programmer time and technical efforts - but it will drive additional customers to you and make your existing ones even more happy about your services.

Well, I think this is what I wanted to say - if you want to hire me as a Marketing consultant please get in touch with me

Sincere regards and keep up the good work,

Nils
nils77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jun 2014, 08:48 AM   #2
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils77 View Post
From a Marketing point of view I believe it is time that Runbox should seriously think and act about implementing a Calendar & Contact Sync feature.
Thanks for taking the time to ask us these questions!

This is also a hot topic internally. Contacts and Calendar is something staff is pushing for internally.

We have in the last year worked a lot on our infrastructure and things our users never notice (it is a good thing you don't notice, because that means we have done that part right).

The current big project we are working on now is to create a full system system replica for development. Previously we had dev-servers where all services ran on a single server, but that is not what we need. To make the development cycle faster and to enable us to test more radical solutions that we are happy to put into production, we need several full-scale systems to test (that is a lot of Virtual Machines).

The good part of this project is that we after we have finished, everything will be much more streamlined from our point of view and it is easier to use external developers as we don't actually need to let them in on our systems.

It might be that we would not need to do that for Contacts and Calendar project, so it is something we will try to discuss in our next meeting.

Personally I think Contacts is more important than Calendar. What do you think?

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2014, 11:40 AM   #3
William9
The "e" in e-mail

At least for me, contacts are more important than calendar. That's because contacts are more closely related to messaging.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2014, 02:47 PM   #4
randian

Definitely contacts. And a strictly-compliant vCard 4.0 implementation.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Hensie

Contacts (of course), but please also start with the calendar. Then I can dump all other e-mail services (like gmail and outlook/live)..
My actual subscription ends in 2015 and I will be more than willing to renew it when I can use (and sync) my contacts and calendar with Runbox.
Hensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2014, 05:31 PM   #6
adamlau

Another vote for contacts over calendar here. 2FA, DKIM and FTPS access to Files first, however.
adamlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2014, 05:52 PM   #7
nils77

I would clearly vote for Contacts being top priority as this will help everybody. Email related privacy is based on two things - a) the information (actual content of the mail) and b) the addressee (the actual receiver). As you offer already Email, Contacts would be the next logic step in my opinion...

So, again, my clear vote for Contacts as well! Looking forward to see this exciting function...hope that we can test something soon.

Regards
nils77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2014, 07:05 PM   #8
jl66
Essential Contributor

Contacts
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2014, 05:17 AM   #9
ioneja

Contacts before calendar for me too -- but don't forget about 2FA! 2FA is essential! And little things like DKIM, etc...
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2014, 04:30 PM   #10
soromak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
Contacts before calendar for me too -- but don't forget about 2FA! 2FA is essential! And little things like DKIM, etc...
Don't you have Roundcube as an alternative webmail at Runbox at the moment? Then why not to add Horde to the list as a temporary solution before the sync is developed in a native Runbox webmail? I guess it will take a while...
Horde works like a charm for both contacts and calendars through ActiveSync, Card and CalDAV...ok maybe it is not the most beautiful UI but if you can not have both, I prefer functionality over look.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2014, 07:05 PM   #11
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Looks like Runbox needs a poll for their users' most wanted feature

Contacts + calendar would be great
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2014, 07:14 AM   #12
17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhab View Post
Looks like Runbox needs a poll for their users' most wanted feature

Contacts + calendar would be great
2-Factor-Authentication is what they should be focusing on right now. They praise themselves for being one of the best privacy oriented e-mail providers and don't allow for 2FA? That's just bad.

I'd also like a new webmail, but oh well..
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2014, 08:24 PM   #13
smithmb001

I think RunBox knows the wish list:

1. Two factor authentication
2. Calendar
3. Contacts
4. Web Mail Interface Improvements
* I find myself switching back and forth between RoundCube and the classic RunBox web interface,

Personally, I would like to see a calendar introduced first as it would free me from Google. I can understand why others would prefer contacts be the primary focus.

As with all things RunBox, all we have to do is be patient...
smithmb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2014, 11:41 AM   #14
adamlau

1. Support for 2FA
2. Support for FTPS
3. Support for DKIM
4. Support for Sieve
5. Subdomain addressing

Followed by everything else mentioned in this thread.
adamlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2014, 06:29 AM   #15
me0000

I seem to recall that Runbox was around from about when Fastmail was also.

Shame that Runbox has fallen so far behind.
me0000 is offline   Reply With Quote