EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 28 Feb 2015, 02:26 AM   #1
vazwaz

Runbox Spam Filtering

Anyone else think Runbox spam filtering is useless?
I am getting spam in my inbox and non-spam in my spam folder.
Seems to have got worse the past couple of weeks.
vazwaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Feb 2015, 02:44 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

I would not say that it is useless. It is not brilliant either. Though I only receive a very small amount of spam, it seems to be consistent, and of the same type.

Last edited by David : 28 Feb 2015 at 03:34 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2015, 03:13 AM   #3
OLee

The Runbox spam filter has been working fine for me so far.
OLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2015, 08:03 AM   #4
smithmb001

Working fine for me. I don't get any more spam than I would using any other system, including work.
smithmb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2015, 03:51 PM   #5
jl66
Essential Contributor

Use always aliases to avoid future spam.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2015, 07:23 AM   #6
tommy18

I have just noticed, during the past month, messages going into the Spam folder that should NOT. Never had this happen before, that I noticed.

If I drag a message that's in Spam back into the Inbox (I use Roundcube), does it "learn" not to make similar mistakes? Or is my work futile?

Is Runbox becoming like Yahoo?? Please, don't
tommy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2015, 05:11 PM   #7
vazwaz

Their spam filtering is strange.
It will work for a few days and then go back to being useless and then work again and then useless etc
Quite often I will get 2 identical messages, one is filtered to spam and the other one isn't.
In my experience the dragging of messages to the spam folder doesn't appear to train the spam filter at all.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 02:42 PM   #8
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
You still need to use the "Report spam" and "Not spam" functions in Webmail to train your spam filter, otherwise it will over time make mistakes.

You can find more information about how the spam filter works here:

https://help.runbox.com/filter/#2_Us...le_spam-filter

We are planning to upgrade our spam filter software, and once our new IMAP server is deployed it should be fairly simple to extend it to allow spam filter training via IMAP.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2015, 09:08 PM   #9
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Hmm I've noticed a lot of poisoning emails in the last few months, and also a few bits of spam that always has a .zip or .doc attachment. I have considered looking for a non-runbox spam filterer so I guess it's reasonably annoying.

I find it funny these aren't more easily filtered out.

It's been a long time since I've had genuine email go to a spam folder.
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2015, 08:50 AM   #10
mantapjaya

I like to work the Runbox spam filters work optimally dam good
mantapjaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2015, 03:20 AM   #11
orelz

Hi here,

To be honest I also have many emails in my inbox that are spams.
But, I don't think it is because of the runbox system but more about the spam tool they choosed.
I reported the following feedback to the support team: I report a mail as spam but the same email (same recipient, same subject, same body...) will be back in my inbox the days following my report. So why it is not put in my spam folder as it should be?
They answer me it is because their spam system takes a long time to learn, the only possible workaround is to blacklist the recipient.
That is not fine for me, why they don't do that by themself? The "report spam" feature is finally useless in my view. And compare to the other mail service providers I used in my life this is the only one I use with this issue, the others will directly put my email in the spam folder.
Apparently Runbox prefers to have this learning period in order to avoid false positives.
So, in my view this is really not robust as system and should be improve as top prio.
I can't live with the blacklist workaround (showing me their spam system is not robust) and I can't live with the same spams received everyday in my inbox since months (learning time of how many months?).

To be fully complete, I have also some emails detected correctly, so I don't know why for some it will be not detected also when reported, and why for other it is detected correctly with or without reported as spam.
Strangely and I don't why but this feature "report as spam" was better last year and this year or since end of last year, it gets worse.

Geir, when you say "We are planning to upgrade our spam filter software" what is the deadline? Do you have a date to communicate?

I'm really desappointed by the answers of the support team via emails, if they can live with this issue, so they can live without my subscription.

Regards
orelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2015, 04:28 AM   #12
vazwaz

Don't hold your breath, they take forever to do things.
I've just had some emails from Microsoft marked as spam which never have been before.
I can't understand what is happening to their spam filtering, it's not good.
Old 6 Apr 2015, 05:30 AM   #13
orelz

Indeed... they take a long time to do a change, and more hard to reconnize when there is something wrong on their side...
It is too bad because for the rest of the runbox service I like it. But I really more and more think to give the change to another provider, I'm testing a lot currently to see if at the end of the year I will stop. (For the moment protonmail is really good, let's see when they will implement the pay system with domain support.)
orelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2015, 06:12 AM   #14
vazwaz

I don't need my own domain so I have moved to posteo.de which I have been testing for a couple of months now.
They have 2FA, calendar etc, are big on privacy and only cost me €1 per month so they will do me fine.
Their spam filtering works perfectly also
Old 29 May 2015, 04:12 AM   #15
abaco

Whitelisting doesn't work

I understand that spam filters' accuracy may vary over time, but I have a hard time understanding why whitelisting sender and domain, in addition to adding sender to address book doesn't seem to work recently.

I have an iCloud account as a backup but have started opening my iCloud inbox before Runbox because of far more accurate spam filtering. Given that Runbox seems to be stuck in the 90s when it comes to completeness of offering, this may be the end of the road for me.
abaco is offline   Reply With Quote