EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Feb 2022, 11:12 PM   #1
JoeR

Exclamation Window displaying ph & backup email appearing on inbox page not cool - very insecure!

Flashing up a window with 'are your details up to date' displaying phone & email on the inbox page with NO WARNING is ridiculously dumb. Anyone could be stood behind us. This is not safe or secure

Fastmail should know better
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Feb 2022, 02:04 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Where were you seeing this? Were you logged into the website using a browser, using the iOS or Android app, or using a third party email client (such as Apple Mail, Thunderbird, or Outlook?

I have never seen the behavior you describe on my Fastmail accounts.
  • I can see the backup phone number, but the only way to see this is logging in and going to Setttings>Passwords & Security
  • Fastmail won't show me any of my passwords (main password or third party application passwords) in any screen.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2022, 02:38 AM   #3
JoeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Where were you seeing this? Were you logged into the website using a browser, using the iOS or Android app, or using a third party email client (such as Apple Mail, Thunderbird, or Outlook?

I have never seen the behavior you describe on my Fastmail accounts.
  • I can see the backup phone number, but the only way to see this is logging in and going to Setttings>Passwords & Security
  • Fastmail won't show me any of my passwords (main password or third party application passwords) in any screen.
Bill
Browser but I never mentioned passwords though
Old 11 Feb 2022, 03:12 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Browser but I never mentioned passwords though
Sorry … I was just pointing out that the passwords were not displayed anywhere.

I can only see my backup email address and backup phone number in the Settings>Passwords & Security screen. You say you see these when you are looking at your received messages in your Inbox folder? Does this happen every time you log in to Fastmail, or was it a one-time thing?
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2022, 05:48 AM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps he has been hacked...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2022, 06:19 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I have also never seen this. I wonder if Fastmail might do this if your phone number and/or email address have not been verified. Today, the verification is done when you add the recovery phone/email, but maybe that did not happen in the past.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2022, 02:33 AM   #7
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

This is very unlike Fastmail. I think if Fastmail wants to inform a user about some action that is needed or recommended they would send an email message. So if it was a pop window of some kind it seems like some kind of phishing, or perhaps it is some other website open in another tab that is able to open a new window (seems unlikely with modern browsers).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2022, 11:36 PM   #8
JoeR

I wasn't hacked, it said it would reappear in a week. Not the first time I've seen it & 100% certain it was fastmail
Old 16 Feb 2022, 12:18 AM   #9
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I wasn't hacked, it said it would reappear in a week. Not the first time I've seen it & 100% certain it was fastmail
Since this is abnormal behaviour that neither you or anyone else can explain, I would be looking at raising a support ticket to ask Fastmail what can cause this. If you can get a screen grab first, this would be ideal.
Old 16 Feb 2022, 11:55 PM   #10
JoeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Since this is abnormal behaviour that neither you or anyone else can explain, I would be looking at raising a support ticket to ask Fastmail what can cause this. If you can get a screen grab first, this would be ideal.
It is isn't the first time I have seen it, will certainly endeavour to get a screen grab. I fail to see what a ticket will do for me as I 100% know this is purposeful Fastmail behaviour. It can absolutely be explained they chose to do it.

Twitter pulls the same insecure stunt.
Old 17 Feb 2022, 03:51 AM   #11
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
It is isn't the first time I have seen it, will certainly endeavour to get a screen grab. I fail to see what a ticket will do for me as I 100% know this is purposeful Fastmail behaviour. It can absolutely be explained they chose to do it.

Twitter pulls the same insecure stunt.
The reason I suggest raising a support ticket to ask Fastmail the conditions under which this can occur is because I cannot see how you are going to stop its recurrence in any other way. There must be a special reason why you are seeing this behaviour and others are not.
Old 17 Feb 2022, 06:05 AM   #12
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Go into settings and un-tick notifications, also it may be coming from your calendar perhaps some notification you have set up.

Or its a Microsoft notification...which I think it is....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2022, 11:38 PM   #13
JoeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Go into settings and un-tick notifications, also it may be coming from your calendar perhaps some notification you have set up.

Or its a Microsoft notification...which I think it is....
Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!! errr no
My notifications are off off off
And I do not use the calendar
Old 17 Feb 2022, 11:48 PM   #14
JoeR

https://postimg.cc/hhwHpJBy
Old 18 Feb 2022, 12:11 AM   #15
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Have you asked Fastmail to explain how this Window can end up being displayed? Never once have I seen this. I would like to know Fastmail's explanation but, on the face of it, I agree this is something which should not happen.