EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 Feb 2021, 03:51 AM   #1
trussrod

Migadu vs Purelymail: what's the best choice?

Hello,

So I want to have a very straight to the point mail service. No need for flashy integrations or anything. I'm considering Migadu or Purelymail, can you help me decide? Purelymail seems cool but being a beta and a one man project makes me worried...
trussrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Feb 2021, 05:25 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I haven't used Migadu in a few years, but I didn't like the service. Very slow to propagate DNS changes if you let them handle that, and very slow to respond to email help requests. Plus, their current pricing is through the roof. Not really sure what their value proposition is right now. PurelyMail is very inexpensive, very simple, and the owner/manager is very responsive. If you don't need a lot of bells and whistles and just want domain email I would go for PurelyMail between those two. Lots of other options out there. You might want to give us all a few criteria you are looking for and I'm sure you will get some good recommendations.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2021, 05:52 AM   #3
trussrod

Thank you for your feedback. So, I want a cheap service where I can use two domains and create catch-alls for that (and unlimited aliases as well). It's just for my personal usage, and I don't want anything with storage, calendar, etc. I want to keep it cheap and feel safe knowing my data is secure. Purely seems to fill all these boxes but I think a "company" makes me feel safer, for some reason. I tried MXRoute but didn't like the owners attitude. You have any other suggestion?
Old 27 Feb 2021, 06:14 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Have you looked at POBox.com, a sister company to Fastmail? They have a forwarding service where you can do everything you want, but instead of storing your emails they are forwarded to another service like Gmail or Outlook.com. But, POBox.com handles all the domain email side of things. $20 a year. https://www.pobox.com/pricing I've used them before. Very simple and reliable, with the Fastmail team behind it all, though customer service is handled from Philadelphia in the USA I believe.
Old 27 Feb 2021, 06:22 AM   #5
trussrod

It's a good suggestion but I don't want a forwarder
Old 27 Feb 2021, 02:24 PM   #6
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussrod View Post
Thank you for your feedback. So, I want a cheap service where I can use two domains and create catch-alls for that (and unlimited aliases as well). It's just for my personal usage, and I don't want anything with storage, calendar, etc. I want to keep it cheap and feel safe knowing my data is secure. Purely seems to fill all these boxes but I think a "company" makes me feel safer, for some reason. I tried MXRoute but didn't like the owners attitude. You have any other suggestion?
Some two months ago I was looking for something similar (without unlimited aliases) and got few good comments, but nothing conclusive and the move to a new provider is postponed for now:

https://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=77589

https://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=77597
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2021, 07:11 PM   #7
trussrod

I ended up choosing Purelymail and its working pretty good. Let's hope it's a service to last
Old 27 Feb 2021, 08:12 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

Hope Purelymail works well for you! Definitely a diamond in the rough email market. I may use them again in the future.
Old 27 Feb 2021, 09:58 PM   #9
trussrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Hope Purelymail works well for you! Definitely a diamond in the rough email market. I may use them again in the future.
Thank you for your availability and suggestions. Good to find such a nice person around here