EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 9 Nov 2003, 05:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally posted by Nektar1973

I just hope we get back to popular music someday that has some singing.
There is singing in pop music - look at Faith Hill, Celeine Dion and Christina Aguilera
Old 11 Nov 2003, 03:30 AM   #32
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Last night, at a friend's (while fixing his computer, because his hard-drive died — I actually had to install Windows 95 temporarily, in order to use CD Player to clean the CD-RW drive, before it would read the Windows ME CD), I got to see a four-hour-long show of "The 100 All-Time Best UK No. 1s" (as voted by viewers; not surprisingly, both I'm Not in Love and Bohemian Rhapsody were there, IIRC the latter was #2), and it also featured the five No. 1s voted as the all-time worst!

Number 1 on that chart, again probably not surprisingly, was Wannabe by the Spice Girls.  (I'll tell you what they want, what they really really want... shooting.)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2003, 03:43 AM   #33
JeffK

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormcrow
There is singing in pop music - look at Faith Hill, Celeine Dion and Christina Aguilera
I watched the Rage top 50 on Saturday morning, too much rap and too much of the same thing.

I'll add Enrique Iglesias to your list, his most recent one, (don't ask me what it's called), is outstanding.

Lyrically I like Black Eyed Peas "Where Is The Love".

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2003, 04:39 AM   #34
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44
R.E.M have some great songs that I find myself singing along to. But on closer inspection very few of their lyrics make any sense.
Nonsense lyrics go back much further than Lennon's I am the Walrus (inspired partly by Lewis Carroll's nonsense poetry especially (of course) The Walrus and the Carpenter, but mostly by those fans who fanatically examined every word of his lyrics for the "hidden meanings"; the idea behind IatW was that there'd be nothing there for such fans to find!); mediæval folk-songs often contained nonsensical chorus lines like "whack for a diddle-o"...

One of my favourite examples is the classic Yes album Close to the Edge; the lyrics seem to make sense, but if one thinks about them one realises that they actually don't. (I think of them as clever rather than naff.)

(edit:  corrected link to point to my current site)

(edit 2: same reason)

Last edited by robert@fm : 16 Dec 2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 03:34 AM   #35
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Probably one of the most awful songs of all time (lyrically) was 10cc's Dreadlock Holiday: in the first two verses the narrator gets mugged, and in the third he's made it back to his hotel only to be accosted by a dope-peddler.  And all the while, he's saying how much he's loving it! Weird...
Old 25 Nov 2003, 03:46 AM   #36
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
If no one mention this I would say

Bat Dance - Prince

from the Batman OST. Actually I think the whole OST is awful...
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2003, 07:11 AM   #37
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Probably one of the most awful songs of all time (lyrically) was 10cc's Dreadlock Holiday: in the first two verses the narrator gets mugged, and in the third he's made it back to his hotel only to be accosted by a dope-peddler.  And all the while, he's saying how much he's loving it! Weird...
I think of all the tongue in cheek songs that 10cc made, that was by far the most tongue in cheek, and could even be considered racist.

Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2003, 07:12 AM   #38
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
If no one mention this I would say

Bat Dance - Prince

from the Batman OST. Actually I think the whole OST is awful...
But do you like any of Prince's work Killer? I didn't think the Batman OST was too bad.

Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:47 AM   #39
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I heard his other works before. Perhaps just my point of view Batdance is awful. Not much singing. Much like the trance music now.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:07 PM   #40
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mac'd
Jump/ Van Halen
The MIDI arrangement is good!
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2003, 03:00 AM   #41
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Now that Christmas is fast approaching (yesterday was Advent Sunday), we're into the season of truly cheesy songs!

I swear, a few Christmases back, I heard a (c)rap version of Walking in the Air!  Talk about genre mismatch, unless it was some hideous hallucination brought on by imbibing too much Christmas spirit...  (Mercifully, I've never heard it again...)

But I'm sure the most appalling Christmas single ever was Sir Cliff Richard's Millennium Prayer (released a year too early, of course — 2000 years of the AD epoch had elapsed at the end of 2000AD, not the beginning).  Like just about every Christmas single, no matter how bad, that one comes back to haunt us every December...
Old 21 Dec 2003, 05:00 AM   #42
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

One song I remember with a truly naff lyric is Sad Show from the '80s (forgotten who by), with the line "it's more exciting than a one-man band" — which, given the quality of London buskers, isn't saying much; even a rainy Sunday in Merthyr Tydfil is more exciting than the average one-man band, or at any rate the London variety!
Old 21 Dec 2003, 05:52 AM   #43
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Everything featured on the album "The Ultimate Cheese Party"!
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2003, 06:48 AM   #44
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by MAILfreak
Everything featured on the album "The Ultimate Cheese Party"!
Did I already mention the late Kenny Everett's The World's Worst Record Album, compiled around 1976?  Featured some really cheesy tracks, such as Jess Conrad's This Pullover. The sleeve had tips on recycling the disk.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 07:07 AM   #45
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

Well, since Christmas is coming in two days, I contribute as the worst holiday song, "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer."

I don't care if it's intended to be funny, I can't stand it...words, tune, everything.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote