EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:08 PM   #1
billwilson

Which MAPI Android Client Best with FastMail

My wife is far from computer savy and I need a good android email client that will provide a MAPI interface with her FastMail.fm account.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:49 PM   #2
emoore
Essential Contributor

I'm not aware of any MAPI support for Android. Are you sure you don't mean a Android email client that supports IMAP?

There are two versions of MAPI, SimpleMAPI and ExtendedMAPI. SimpleMAPI is a Windows API that is mainly used to allow other applications (such as Word or Excel) to call the default email client. ExtendedMAPI is a Windows API that is mainly useful if you are using Exchange as your mail server. Its used by Outlook. Microsoft appears to be migrating from ExtendedMAPI to Exchange Web Services (EWS) . ExtendedMAPI is now considered a legacy API. They have released versions of Entourage and Outlook email clients that support EWS.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2016, 03:40 AM   #3
billwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
I'm not aware of any MAPI support for Android. Are you sure you don't mean a Android email client that supports IMAP? ...
Yes you are correct, I should have said IMAP! I always get those two acronyms mixed up!

Thanks,
Bill
Old 27 Oct 2016, 06:36 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson View Post
My wife is far from computer savy and I need a good android email client that will provide a MAPI interface with her FastMail.fm account.

Any Suggestions?
Yes, the stock Mail app.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2016, 08:21 AM   #5
billwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Yes, the stock Mail app.
Well, I have tried a couple of Mail apps without any luck! First I tried the one that is installed by default that has the @ sign in the middle of the icon. I believe it is named eMail. Then I downloaded and installed one that is named Mail. In both cases I logged into FastMail and read their instructions too. Three questions came up:

1. There is one place in the setup where the box is labeled Username. I tried just the name part and then I included the domain name too. Which is correct?

2. Neither one has have a SSL/TSL (or what ever those initials are) combination. I have to choose one or the other. I chose SSL.

3. Our fast mail address has always been in the form username@fastmail.fm Am I supposed to use the .fm or .com?

Can you clarify any of these issues?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 27 Oct 2016, 10:19 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Well, I have tried a couple of Mail apps without any luck! First I tried the one that is installed by default that has the @ sign in the middle of the icon. I believe it is named eMail. Then I downloaded and installed one that is named Mail. In both cases I logged into FastMail and read their instructions too. Three questions came up:

1. There is one place in the setup where the box is labeled Username. I tried just the name part and then I included the domain name too. Which is correct?

2. Neither one has have a SSL/TSL (or what ever those initials are) combination. I have to choose one or the other. I chose SSL.

3. Our fast mail address has always been in the form username@fastmail.fm Am I supposed to use the .fm or .com?

Can you clarify any of these issues?

Thanks,
Bill
1. To access your Fastmail account (whether through the web client or an external mail client, you must always include the full user name including the @domaon part.
2. SSL should work OK. For reading using IMAP with SSL the port should be 993. For sending using SMTP, with SSL the port should be 465.
3. If you are asking about the server name, that must be fastmail.com, regardless of the Fastmail username or email address(es) you use.

By the way, have you set up an App password, and are you using that password in the mail client setup?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2016, 12:18 PM   #7
billwilson

BritTim, thanks for the answers. I've checked and double checked everything and it still fails to connect! I don't know what could be causing the problem so I am going to try another app (K-9 Mail) that has been connected to my account at FastMail.com for the last couple of years.

My current effort is to get my wife's new smartphone to connect to her account on the same server. Her smart phone is using Android version 5.1.1. I don't know what the latest version of Android is but this phone is on the MetroPCS network and my guess is that their phones might not be the latest versions that are on the market. So, maybe the latest apps are too advanced tor this phone?

If anyone has any suggestions please speak up!

Thanks,
Bill
Old 27 Oct 2016, 02:10 PM   #8
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

As pointed out have you set up an application password for that phone, its not your normal password.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2016, 04:47 PM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions please speak up!
Why not use the FastMail app?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.fastmail.app
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2016, 05:15 PM   #10
edu

K9 works very well, I use it daily and very fast, but don't forget to create first a new fastmail password for using the app.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2016, 01:56 AM   #11
billwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
As pointed out have you set up an application password for that phone, its not your normal password.
Why do I need a password for the phone?

Bill
Old 28 Oct 2016, 01:58 AM   #12
billwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I didn't know there was a FastMail app. I'll try it.

The K9 app connected very easily. Once I keyed in the FastMail login and password it did the rest automatically! It is working fine.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 28 Oct 2016, 02:08 AM   #13
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
The K9 app connected very easily. Once I keyed in the FastMail login and password it did the rest automatically! It is working fine.
My guess is that K9 still uses the old Fastmail server mail.messagingengine.com, and that allows use of the (less secure) main password.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 07:28 PM   #14
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
My guess is that K9 still uses the old Fastmail server mail.messagingengine.com, and that allows use of the (less secure) main password.
It works great with the new servers too, I think he must change to the new servers to avoid some security problems.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2016, 01:39 AM   #15
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
It works great with the new servers too, I think he must change to the new servers to avoid some security problems.
If he has an App password, the new server is better. If he is using the main password, only mail.messagingengine.com works.