EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 22 Jan 2016, 03:30 AM   #16
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeMail View Post
we try to keep spammers away
Do you really think spammers need lots of storage??
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 04:56 AM   #17
SafeMail

If box is full they can't send anything

Of course they can delete it and send again, but we have more measurements.

Please understand, most free mail services are throwing the towel in the ring because of spammers and abusers. We try to build everything up from the ground and take it easy with resources so we can slowly grow in all of its aspects. Incl. resources.

We will consider the upgrade for the 3MB package for more space, but if you just want to mail, you can easily send and receive 200-400 emails with it right now.
SafeMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 06:02 AM   #18
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

Small storage is 1995.

No one is going to get excited over a few mb - not even 50. One gig inspires interest.
Better to limit outgoing messages to combat spam in free accounts.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 06:29 AM   #19
SafeMail

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy View Post
Small storage is 1995.

No one is going to get excited over a few mb - not even 50. One gig inspires interest.
Better to limit outgoing messages to combat spam in free accounts.
Could you explain to me what you want with 1GB of mail space? It's a marketing thing. People get excited by the idea they get 1GB but they never gonna use it. I have a Hotmail account since 1997 and i hardly use 250MB. And believe me, there are lots of crap mails between it

HDD space is not our core feature...we don't really focus on that. If people wants more space, they can contact us and get more free space if they are a serious user of the system. That's really no problem at all, but who needs 1GB if you use it as a communication layer? You have to be honest about that...how many old mails do you have that you really don't use at all?
Old 22 Jan 2016, 07:22 AM   #20
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Could you explain to me what you want with 1GB of mail space? It's a marketing thing. People get excited by the idea they get 1GB but they never gonna use it. I have a Hotmail account since 1997 and i hardly use 250MB. And believe me, there are lots of crap mails between it
Since 1998 I have 2 GB on email stored and there's nothing crap in it. No, it's full of worthfull information and memories. It's very valuable to me. OK, it may work if you use POP3 (who is still using it?), but you promote IMAP, then 50 MB is far too small. 1 GB is a more common size. Your service look interesting and I like the idea of a NL provider, but I won't pay for only 50 MB.

Last edited by Berenburger : 22 Jan 2016 at 07:28 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 03:57 PM   #21
SafeMail

But that's your main account i guess? An email address you already use for years now. My guess is that when you want to have some vital information about family, work etc. you still would send it to that account?

But the discussion is ongoing and i already have filed in an idea into the idea box maybe department sales can have a better look into the resources and ROI.
Old 22 Jan 2016, 04:27 PM   #22
jl66
Essential Contributor

I honestly say that many email companies are offering email with many more features, and free!. So I donīt think you are going to grow if you continue to offer the same as the old safemail or hushmail nowadays... but itīs only my opinion.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 05:45 PM   #23
SafeMail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
I honestly say that many email companies are offering email with many more features, and free!. So I donīt think you are going to grow if you continue to offer the same as the old safemail or hushmail nowadays... but itīs only my opinion.
Please point me to the "many more features" and we will implement them.
Old 22 Jan 2016, 06:29 PM   #24
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Please point me to the "many more features" and we will implement them.
DANE (DnsSec), encrypted calendars and contacts, encrypted emails in servers, notes, Extended Validation certificate, decent price per month, opensource, activate or deactivate pop/imap, etc...
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 06:43 PM   #25
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
POP3 (who is still using it?)
I do.

All of my accounts are POP3 except for one account which is IMAP. I took a look my mail store on my PC. I was a bit surprised find that it was over 2GB. This is just for the POP3 accounts. My one IMAP account is 428MB.

I used to have another IMAP account that I used for professional reasons. My copy of that mail store takes up 242MB of space.

With most of my accounts 50MB would be more than enough, because I delete from server after downloading; however, with my IMAP account 50MB is not enough.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 07:57 PM   #26
Maxi

https://tutanota.com
You can even build it locally: https://github.com/tutao/tutanota/

Or https://protonmail.com
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 10:16 PM   #27
SafeMail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
DANE (DnsSec), encrypted calendars and contacts, encrypted emails in servers, notes, Extended Validation certificate, decent price per month, opensource, activate or deactivate pop/imap, etc...
Hmm strange, Safe-Mail.nl & Safe-Mail.be are having DnsSec, but .eu not. Need to go after that one.

Encrypted emails in server we have. That is when you use your key to encrypt them. Also the server disks are encrypted in case the server gets out of its home.

We have notes in our standard environment. You can even synchronize it with our "exchange" option to your phone.

Don't know how EV SSL gives you extra protection. It has the same protection as the one which is installed now (Highest strength 2048-bit signatures with 256 bit encryption). Yes, it looks better, but it does not give any more protection at all. If you are after our company mail, just PM me.

2 euro per month or 49,95 euro for a lifetime account is a pretty descent price, i may hope

The rest we are indeed looking at it and will be implemented soon enough
Old 22 Jan 2016, 10:26 PM   #28
soromak

Quote:

2 euro per month or 49,95 euro for a lifetime account is a pretty descent price, i may hope
I have looked into your offer, but even with a premium account the limits are insanely low - really from the dial-up age - with regards to all features (not only storage). If you look for people willing to pay for your service IMHO you need to adapt to current standards. On your 2 EUR account I would run out of the limits before the lunch time
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2016, 10:34 PM   #29
SafeMail

If you run out of limits before lunch time, you'll probably need an enterprise account then ;-). I don't know anyone who fills his mail space within 4 hours lol.

As said before, we will look into this, but as for now we have 2000+ members who are using our service and there is no one atm who is even using 50% of his premium account

But we will certainly consider this, no worry.
Old 23 Jan 2016, 01:54 AM   #30
zimmermanfan
Essential Contributor

I'm very glad to hear of safe-mail.eu. The only other S/MIME provider is safe-mail.net, and they're a joke, unusable due to atrocious reliability. So safe-mail.eu has the only viable S/MIME offering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Since 1998 I have 2 GB on email stored and there's nothing crap in it. No, it's full of worthfull information and memories. It's very valuable to me. OK, it may work if you use POP3 (who is still using it?), but you promote IMAP, then 50 MB is far too small. 1 GB is a more common size. Your service look interesting and I like the idea of a NL provider, but I won't pay for only 50 MB.
It's bad security to keep an archive of e-mail in the cloud. The service offered by safe-mail.eu is security-centric. Encouraging cloud archival would actually work against their mission.

When folks say gigs of space is the norm, they're not realizing that street-wise security-conscious users are abnormal. Most users don't care about security, so they sign up for gmail, hotmail or yahoo. I'm actually glad to see that resources are not wasted on storage space, so their budget can go toward more important things, while backups are less of a burden for them. Also consider how many months it took safe-mail.net to restore their backups after the Nth catastrophic disaster. Fast recovery is important.

Regarding imap, it need not keep email on the server. IMAP does everything POP3 does, and then some. It adds convenience. It potentially supports creative uses like that of General Portraus, where a shared account could use the draft folder without sending, and this access can come from an MUA instead of the web.

@safemail
I think your branding is a bad choice. Even if your trademark is legal, users can confuse your service with that of safe-mail.net because companies often buy multiple top-level domains for the same name. This is unfavorable for safe-mail.eu because the "*.net" service is the absolute poorest in the world. I almost didn't even look at your site, because I initially assumed that was the case.

Also, 3mb is a bit tight for the free accounts. When a sender transmits a single 5mb photo or document, this is often outside the recipients control. Gigs of space is overkill and money not well spent, but 3mb should be increased ~12mb, IMO.

You need to drop the anti-spammer rationale for the small space, and take a disclosure angle. Spam is unrelated. The longer e-mail sits on the server, the more opportunity for damaging disclosure.

Last edited by zimmermanfan : 23 Jan 2016 at 02:13 AM.
zimmermanfan is offline   Reply With Quote