EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

View Poll Results: Rest in Peace?
I hadn't even thought about it 4 66.67%
I have made legal provision for it 0 0%
I'm not bothered what happens with it 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jul 2016, 05:45 AM   #31
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/emergency-access/

Quote:

Do you worry about your family, friends, partner, or spouse having access to important accounts should something happen to you? Do you want an easy way to give them the passwords and logins they’d need to manage accounts on your behalf? Prepare for the unexpected and ensure your loved ones don’t get locked out of important accounts, like paying bills or the mortgage, and that they can manage your digital legacy.

With the Emergency Access feature, you can give trusted family and friends access to your LastPass account in the event of an emergency or crisis.
My eye caught on one of the last posts of Drew. Very sad to read it again. And yeah, as a LastPass user I need to set up that emergency thing.

Last edited by Berenburger : 28 Jul 2016 at 06:01 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2016, 03:27 PM   #32
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Well the poll was closed...but..if I could voted I would have choosen the " I'm not bothered what happens with it" option.

As I don't have close relatives left (all died)....except for my severly autistic son (8 yo) I doubt that he would ever be able to log into my many accounts and read my emails. My last ex-wife does everything with whatsapp so I doubt if she realy knows what the concept of email is...and she would be the last person to whom I would send my log in details to.

And with my first ex I don't have contact for over 18 years....the last brief encounter we had was on facebook a couple of years ago when she blocked me. LOL

I had a very good email buddy from the US for many years...and 2 years ago he stopped mailing me...after 2 months I got an email form his EX-wife...(yes thats right) who got hold on his log in details...she send me an email telling me he passed away suddenly from a heart attack...52 yo.!

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2016, 06:37 AM   #33
David
Ultimate Contributor

I met a fellow in the nineteen sixties who wore a long white robe. He told me not to worry about passing away; he said that it was just like getting out of one car and stepping into another.

Now that I am very ancient I am convinced that he was correct; when I was younger I took his advice with a pinch of salt.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2016, 09:35 PM   #34
mekitron

Smile

I wish to vote, I have made legal provision for it.

I want my other family members (particularly my younger brother) to take control of my digital world later, like our family domain/website and meet-ups.

I am thinking about organ donation as well, if I die on ventilator because it is very helping to someone who needs kidneys and eyes.
mekitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2017, 03:02 AM   #35
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Germany: no parents' access to dead teenager's Facebook account

I will not let this topic die....

Quote:
A court in Germany has ruled that the parents of a dead teenage girl have no right to access their daughter's Facebook account.

The 15-year-old was killed by a train in 2012 and her parents were trying to establish if she had committed suicide. They had sought access to her chat messages and posts in order to find out whether she had been bullied.

But Facebook argued that opening up the account would compromise the privacy of the teenager's contacts.

A first court in Berlin had ruled in favour of the family, saying that the contents of the girl's account could be seen as similar to letters and diaries, which "can be inherited regardless of their content".

But an appeals court has now ruled in favour of Facebook, saying that a contract existed between the girl and the social media company and that it ended with her death.
Full story (BBC)
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2017, 05:33 AM   #36
TenFour
Master of the @

I personally don't care what happens to any of my "stuff" once I'm gone, and my instructions to anyone who will listen are to do whatever is easiest, cheapest, or whatever their inclination is. I have notified a few key family members where they can locate key passwords and other important information. Anything I have is an open book to my family as far as I am concerned.

As far as Facebook and the girl's account, the family should just move on. I understand that is not what they want to do, but that would still be my advice. If their daughter had wanted to share everything with them she would have.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2017, 02:08 PM   #37
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
As far as Facebook and the girl's account, the family should just move on. I understand that is not what they want to do, but that would still be my advice. If their daughter had wanted to share everything with them she would have.
That advice sounds rather harsh.

The daughter was of an age where most teenagers are naturally secretive about their lives, and she had passed under traumatic circumstances.

The family need to grieve, and need to understand what happened to their loved one.

That's not easy to do.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2017, 09:02 PM   #38
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz
Germany: no parents' access to dead teenager's Facebook account
Pretty bloody stupid when we all know THEY LET THE GOVT SEE EVERYTHING ON IT!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2017, 09:08 PM   #39
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Please don't lower the tone of the thread, John.

Reconsider your post.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2017, 12:27 AM   #40
Bamb0
Master of the @

Im sorry Freddy...... Stuff like this really bothers me (Facebook especially)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 06:12 AM   #41
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
That advice sounds rather harsh.
It is compassionate advice. Best to be forward looking, no matter what, and not dwell on the past. It does you no good to think of the "what ifs" in a situation like that.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote