EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Sep 2006, 03:23 AM   #1
sieber

Angry IMAP down but webmail and SMTP working

Bron says he fixed a problem at 14:55 UTC with users on Server4, but I still can't connect with IMAP on 993. In fact, whatever is returned causes my Treo 650 to do a double-reset (i use ChatterEmail). Apple Mail justs says login failed. This started sometime before 14:30 UTC.

I can however send email using SMTP on 465--same login succeeds. And I can login to webmail just fine. It's only IMAP that's down.
sieber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Sep 2006, 04:17 AM   #2
jgoldberg

Me, too.

There is nothing on the status blog about this.
jgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 04:48 AM   #3
donnalduck

Me three. Any idea what the problem is?
donnalduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 05:31 AM   #4
sieber

My best guess (and, I freely admit, it is only a guess) is that it was caused by the mistake Bron thinks he corrected. Moving users between servers could definitely cause login failures if IDs and pws aren't handled properly. It's conceivable that they have webmail setup so it's referencing the proper db correctly, but that our IMAP connection is being misdirected or that the server receiving the IMAP request from our clients is not properly linked to the authentication db.

At any rate, I've tried this from 3 different source networks (4 counting the Treo), with the same results. So I'm fully convinced that I've covered every possibility that could cause this from the client end. It has to be a problem at their end.

Oh... and I submitted a support request on this about 5 hours ago. Still no response, by email, here, or on the Status blog.
sieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 05:47 AM   #5
njlieckfeldt

No new emails on IMAP since 14:30 or thereabouts. Virtual Domain forwarding shows new emails being forwarded to gmail backup account but they don't show up in either IMAP or webmail. It's buggered AGAIN?
njlieckfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 06:00 AM   #6
crites

No Mail

Same thing. Can not retrieve mail.
crites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 06:02 AM   #7
njlieckfeldt

One email notifying me of a response to this thread has just come through. None of the 20 or so emails received between 14:30 and now show up, though
njlieckfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 09:41 AM   #8
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by njlieckfeldt
One email notifying me of a response to this thread has just come through. None of the 20 or so emails received between 14:30 and now show up, though
How do you know they have been received, if they don't show up? Do you mean that they disappeared?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 11:21 AM   #9
crites

Should this problem not have been fixed by now?
crites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Rabbitroo

No IMAP here.
Rabbitroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 11:44 AM   #11
jgoldberg

Quote:
Originally posted by crites
Should this problem not have been fixed by now?
I'm still experiencing the problem. Although FM has the best webmail interface I've seen, I really dislike managing my mail via the web.

So far there is no mention on the status log, nor response to my support query. Nor have I seen anything in the forum suggesting that FM actually know about this problem.

Have others filed support queries? Until we know that they know that the problem is there, it is probably best for people to contact support.
jgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 11:48 AM   #12
donnalduck

I filed a support query - about 7 hours ago. No response as of yet.
donnalduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:36 PM   #13
lt_kije

Just to chime in:

I, too, have run into this problem. I've been fetching mail via POP and IMAP over SSL from FastMail for years, and no problems until 0200 UTC Wednesday. Hmph.

I ran fetchmail to generate some debug output[0] to see if I could troubleshoot the issue locally; no go. My configs (for getmail on OpenBSD) haven't changed since 7 August, so I don't think I'm at fault (though I could be).

Here's hoping for a quick resolution!

[0]http://lfod.us/files/debug
lt_kije is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:53 PM   #14
KevinS

Anyone heard from FM on this?

The status blog has no entry. The customers that say they have reported the problem have not heard any response. I wonder if FM realizes there is a problem and is working on it. I guess I'll open up a support case as well. I wonder if messages I sent out yesterday went through (its been strangely quiet) Funny thing is my "Sent" folder is now "Sent Items" and I have no "Junk Mail" folder but I do have a "Junk" folder. Using thunderbird as a client. Has there been a change to the namespace?

--kevin
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2006, 01:36 PM   #15
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Sorry, this must be being caused by moving users to new replicated servers. It's _supposed_ to flush and update all the caches immediately for every user.

Can anyone PM me a username for further investigation?
brong is offline   Reply With Quote