EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Nov 2006, 03:51 AM   #1
pedalvet

SMTP failure

Have not been able to send mail all day. I know things crashed a few hours ago, but I'm getting incoming mail again, but still can't send out from my desktop. I can send (and receive) from my Treo handheld though.

I have my username and password entered correctly (has been working for over a year without any changes), and the "my server requires authentication" box is checked. I've always used port 25 by default, but tried 26 and 21 with no love.

This is the error message:
"A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'mail.messagingengine.com', Server: 'mail.messagingengine.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19"

Any suggestions?

Last edited by pedalvet : 16 Nov 2006 at 03:59 AM.
pedalvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Nov 2006, 06:15 AM   #2
pedalvet

More info

Well, I tried from another PC, and I can send just fine. Both machines are running Outlook Express configured with the exact same settings.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 06:28 AM   #3
JRobert
Master of the @

Re: More info

Quote:
Originally posted by pedalvet
Well, I tried from another PC, and I can send just fine. Both machines are running Outlook Express configured with the exact same settings.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
Network connectivity issues from the first PC? Does
Code:
> tracert messagingengine.com
succeed, from both PCs?

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2006, 09:13 AM   #4
pedalvet

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to do what you suggested, but no need! It suddenly resumed working when I checked after dinner.

Thanks for your response!

Dave
Old 17 Nov 2006, 12:22 PM   #5
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
FYI, with tracert, you need to use:

Code:
tracert mail.messagingengine.com
or

Code:
tracert www.fastmail.fm
messagingengine.com itself is hosted elsewhere.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2006, 09:31 PM   #6
JRobert
Master of the @

Missed that subtlety! Thanks, Rob. And, for the terminally curious (moi!), what is the (functional) difference between them?

-jeff-
Old 17 Nov 2006, 10:16 PM   #7
pedalvet

Sorry to be a little slow here, but if I understand what you are saying, if this happens again I should try putting "tracert mail.messagingengine.com" in for the SMTP server?

Thanks for the help.

Dave
Old 18 Nov 2006, 01:05 AM   #8
ewal
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by pedalvet
Sorry to be a little slow here, but if I understand what you are saying, if this happens again I should try putting "tracert mail.messagingengine.com" in for the SMTP server?

Thanks for the help.

Dave
Hi

Nope, don't do that, it will not help at all.

Tracert is an operating system command for traceroute (see: here ).

This command simply traces the internet route between your computer to the domain name's host you give. This command is available under most operating systems. To use it under Window, simply:

start > run > command > tracert (domainname). What you see from that should be obvious.

Note: If you are behind some types of firewalls (such as often used in corporate environments, you may not be able to use tracert.)

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2006, 02:42 AM   #9
pedalvet

Thanks, Ewal! All is working well now, but I've learned something for the next time.

Dave
Old 18 Nov 2006, 03:58 AM   #10
rzajac

My SMTP has also not been working for the last couple of days.

I can receive mail, but I cannot send it.

I'm using Thinderbird. Any other people having this problem?

Any clues?
rzajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2006, 06:03 AM   #11
JRobert
Master of the @

No, but you might try the suggestion above. Open DOS shell (assuming you're on a Windows machine) and type the command
Code:
tracert mail.messagingengine.com
. The listed route should end with 'mail.messagingengine.com' and none listed as unreachable. That's the quickest way to find out whether you could reach the site at all (ie., that there are no network problems between you and FM). If you can't, there's probably no point in checking the server settings in your mail client for instance. If you can, then it's time to 1) check your mail client settings, and 2) find out whether the SMTP server is up and functioning (that is, if it's able to accept mail; you'd already know it was replying to pings).

-jeff-
Old 18 Nov 2006, 06:08 AM   #12
rzajac

ok jeff,

thank you very much. i did that, and i saw the progress of the trace, and it did in fact, trace.

is there something i need to do now?
rzajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2006, 08:35 AM   #13
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
If it finishes the trace, then the problem is not your network connection.

What your problem probably is is that your ISP has started blocking the standard SMTP port 25. We have an alternate SMTP port on 26. In TB, go to Tools -> Account Settings. In the list on the left, click on the Outgoing Server (SMTP) item. On the right, click the mail.messagingengine.com server, click Edit. In the port area, change it from 25 to 26.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2006, 11:22 PM   #14
pedalvet

Unhappy

Well, my SMTP failure has returned. Thanks to your suggestions, I ran a "tracert mail.messagingengine.com", and it times out at the second step.

So I gather this means I have some type of network problem? What do I do to try to restore this? I hate having to use the web interface, but it's the only way I can send mail.

Thanks for your help!

Dave
Old 30 Nov 2006, 01:56 AM   #15
JRobert
Master of the @

Depends on who/what is the second step. On my system, the first step is my router (192.168.0.1 - 192 is private, i.e. local address and typical for local routers), the second step is my ISPs local host. The third step is another host at my ISP - probably one of their routers.

If you are timing out at your ISP it could be 1) your ISP doesn't return pings, so you haven't learned much, or 2) you've lost connectivity to your ISP, or 3) they've lost connectivity at the next hop. 2 or 3 means you're off the air - your browser won't work, either, for example.

If the failing second step is not one of your own devices (a router in your local network), I'd contact the ISP, explain what's happening and ask if they can shed any light on it.

Good luck.

-jeff-