EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Dec 2009, 06:25 AM   #1
govtrust

Which Smartphones Fully Support Fastmail IMAP?

I've been looking for a list of phones that support IMAP. What I've found is that Blackberry doesn't unless you have BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) which is expensive. Android doesn't but there are some apps such as K9 that do. I think Iphone does but I'm not sure how well. I haven't found alot of information on Palm and Symbian phones. Also are there better providers? Does Verizon or ATT or Sprint provide better IMAP service? I've heard T-mobile uses POP technology to deliver the emails to the phone. Any suggestions or insights are greatly appreciated.
govtrust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Dec 2009, 09:20 AM   #2
goldtoday

Don't know if it is of any help but I have a Nokia E72 on the Telstra Network and that supports it. Dead easy to set up and I get notified when an email comes thogh. I can select my own network when at home in range and also it automatically logs into the telstra network when I am away.

mike
goldtoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2009, 11:29 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums, govtrust!

Any phone which supports IMAP should work fine. This really has nothing to do with the phone network (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, etc.). Any Windows Mobile 6 (or whatever recent version) phone should have the Microsoft Windows Mobile standard email client installed by default, and it supports IMAP -- this is what I use on my Sprint HTC Mogul phone. There are also third party mobile email clients which work under some operating systems (Palm OS, Windows Mobile, etc.).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2009, 01:18 PM   #4
govtrust

Thanks for the responses!
Of course windows mobile! (facepalm)
It's nice to know that Microsoft takes IMAP seriously.

I also found this wikipedia article on IMAP IDLE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP_IDLE

Thanks again.

Last edited by govtrust : 19 Dec 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 01:51 PM   #5
ReuvenNY

I am using an Android phone (G1) with K-9. It supports "push" with IMAP (I believe). Works great.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2009, 03:00 PM   #6
govtrust

After a little more research it looks like the palm pre supports imap idle natively,
At least according to this review.
http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-review

The Nokia e71 also supports this out of the box but
I have yet to find a windows mobile device that does this without a plugin.

Last edited by govtrust : 19 Dec 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 05:14 AM   #7
jackmfm

Other Phones

The Apple iPhone and Palm products support IMAP and can be used with FastMail quite easily. The iPhone does not support the IDLE command (so no automatic push to the phone).

Blackberrys can communicate with FastMail as well, this requires a subscription to the BIS service (included with your typical blackberry data plan). The BIS system only supports the INBOX, not any subfolders.

Jack
jackmfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 05:26 AM   #8
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmfm View Post
The Apple iPhone and Palm products support IMAP and can be used with FastMail quite easily. The iPhone does not support the IDLE command (so no automatic push to the phone).

Blackberrys can communicate with FastMail as well, this requires a subscription to the BIS service (included with your typical blackberry data plan). The BIS system only supports the INBOX, not any subfolders.

Jack
What about the Android OS (Google phones)?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 05:43 AM   #9
kirill
Cornerstone of the Community

ProfiMail is my personal favorite on the S60 phones. Many options, solid IMAP support (with IDLE).

-- Kirill
kirill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2009, 07:54 AM   #10
jeff248

I use my Blackberry with fastmail and get my emails in about 3 seconds after they are sent. But only supports Inbox as was previously posted.

Jeff
jeff248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2009, 09:39 AM   #11
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff248 View Post
I use my Blackberry with fastmail and get my emails in about 3 seconds after they are sent. But only supports Inbox as was previously posted.

Jeff
Winmo 6.0, 6.1 and 6.5 have all worked for me...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2009, 05:46 PM   #12
photog

I just set-up the E-mail program up with no trouble on my T-Mobile MyTouch 3G (it's a Android OS phone).
photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2009, 12:00 AM   #13
govtrust

Thanks for all the responses!

According to this article Blackberry now supports IDLE with just the inbox for BIS customers.

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/0...t-imap-e-mail/
Old 22 Dec 2009, 11:35 PM   #14
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Blackberry (over BIS) definitely supports IMAP (although not "fully" as you asked) and IMAP IDLE. I've used Fastmail on my BB for a few years now. Some things worthy of mentioning:

- Establishing personalities (alternate FROM addresses) is nearly impossible.
- Blackberrys only sync one way (deleting emails on FM won't delete emails on BB).
- Poor HTML-email support (rendering is pretty horrible, at least on my 320x240 device).
- IMAP support is really only for INBOX. Can't move emails to other IMAP folders, can't view messages in other folders, etc.

Basically it's good for "keeping up" on emails, not so good for being a total email solution. (Even the iPhone is better IMO.)
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2009, 12:15 AM   #15
jeff248

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Blackberry (over BIS) definitely supports IMAP (although not "fully" as you asked) and IMAP IDLE. I've used Fastmail on my BB for a few years now. Some things worthy of mentioning:

- Establishing personalities (alternate FROM addresses) is nearly impossible.
- Blackberrys only sync one way (deleting emails on FM won't delete emails on BB).
- Poor HTML-email support (rendering is pretty horrible, at least on my 320x240 device).
- IMAP support is really only for INBOX. Can't move emails to other IMAP folders, can't view messages in other folders, etc.

Basically it's good for "keeping up" on emails, not so good for being a total email solution. (Even the iPhone is better IMO.)

See this thread for emailing from other FM aliases:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=58318
jeff248 is offline   Reply With Quote