EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Dec 2009, 02:46 AM   #1
mrp777

Question Constantly have to Rebuild Apple Mail inbox

I use Apple Mail ver. 3.6 (Mac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard):

The Inbox will show a new "unread" count and the new messages will be visible in bold. I then click the new message to read it. A problem arises when I subsequently go to a different mailbox or folder, then go back to the Inbox, the new message, that I previously read, will now be missing. The only way to get it back is to "Rebuild" the mailbox.

A variation of this problem occurs when the Unread Count shows a new message, but no new message is visible unless I Rebuild the mailbox.

I have been using Apple Mail for several years, numerous times during the day, but this problem started several months ago for no apparent reason. And the problem is sporadic, it might happen randomly ever few days.
mrp777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Dec 2009, 02:49 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

This sounds to me like a problem with the Apple Mail client, not related to Fastmail. Have you tried looking for a more recent version of the client, or posting on an Apple Mail support site, or contacting Apple support?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2009, 09:39 AM   #3
mrp777

I am using the most recent version of the client, but I will take your advice and post on the Apple website as well.
mrp777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp777 View Post
I am using the most recent version of the client, but I will take your advice and post on the Apple website as well.
Hmmm. Try a Vista or Win 7 pc. It just works.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Try this:

1. Quit Mail.
2. Drag ~/Library/Mail/Envelope Index to the desktop.
3. Launch Mail.

Envelope Index is a database that keeps track of messages, and if it gets corrupted, Mail may behave strangely. If you delete it, Mail will rebuild it from scratch.

I read about this on this guy's blog:

http://www.hawkwings.net/2006/02/08/...ed-up-mailapp/

If you follow the "What's in your Mail folder?" link, you'll see he is (or was) a FastMail user.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2010, 01:46 PM   #6
jgoldberg

I've had the identical problem

I've had the identical problem. I called Apple support on this (you might still have free support after an upgrade to Snow Leopard). I didn't expect a resolution, but I wanted this logged as a real problem.

Eventually the problem seemed to go away (seemingly on its own) on one of my machines, but on my MacBook (same OS, same configuration, same version of Mail.app) it persists.

Basically, I've decided that Mail.app is a crappy IMAP client. But it does enough other things that I really like that I haven't given up on it yet. Anyway, Thunderbird 3 is out and is usable. And of course when I really need IMAP power tools, I use alpine in a Terminal window.
jgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Hmmm. Try a Vista or Win 7 pc. It just works.

/cl
I'll go one better: Use Thunderbird, it works better than Outlook, Windows Live Mail, *and* Apple Mail, and it works on most OSes. If you multiboot OSes, you can also share the same Thunderbird and Firefox profiles (mail, extensions, accounts, bookmarks, etc.) between them All you need is a FAT32 partition or a network/cloud drive to store them on.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2010, 02:32 AM   #8
jgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
I'll go one better: Use Thunderbird
Every time I get too frustrated with Mail.app, I switch to Thunderbird for a while, but I find myself returning to Mail.app because (when it's working and not annoying the crap out of me for other reasons) it really "feels" right. I also love its date and phone number detection in message bodies for quick additions to iCal or Addressbook.

When I switched from (al)pine to a GUI I found that Mail.app was the only GUI I could tolerate. I do use Thunderbird for Usenet, but that is largely because I want a Usenet client that can also do IMAP (so I can copy messages to and from IMAP folders).
Old 5 Jan 2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldberg View Post
...I find myself returning to Mail.app because (when it's working and not annoying the crap out of me for other reasons) it really "feels" right.
Regardless of "feel", I can't use Mail.app because it doesn't support on-the-fly virtual identities. The Virtual Identity extension for Thunderbird does, and works seamlessly for original emails and replies.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2010, 09:37 PM   #10
jgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
Regardless of "feel", I can't use Mail.app because it doesn't support on-the-fly virtual identities. The Virtual Identity extension for Thunderbird does, and works seamlessly for original emails and replies.
That looks like a very interesting add-on. It's not something that I need, but I can definitely see how it could be useful if you have a catch-all "alias."