EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:17 AM   #1
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

IMAP backup and restore

There have been a lot of threads about backing up Fastmail accounts...not much about restoring...

I'm interested in protecting against my idiocy more than I am trying to protect against Fastmail going down...

Here's what I've learned, I think:

1. IMAPSize is mentioned often. However, it doesn't mirror what's on Fastmail...any changes (such as moving or deleting an email) on Fastmail are NOT reflected in the IMAPSize backup. It would be unbelievably painful to have to reconstruct my FM account from an IMAPSize backup.

2. Thunderbird's "offline" mode has been mentioned. That would mirror FM. BUT, if I idiotically delete emails or a folder, Thunderbird will dutifully mirror my idiocy! Not good!

I think what I'd love to find is a way of "snapshotting." In other words, work non-destructively the way IMAPSize does, but have the ability to say "take me back to the way FM was 3 weeks ago."

Anyone found a way to accomplish this?
camner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jan 2010, 02:42 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Cool Beta Restore from backup to protect against user error

Fastmail beta login (http://www.fastmail.fm/beta) has a Restore from backup screen (in Options>Maintenance). This can restore any messages (or folders) you have purged (permanently deleted) within the past week. If you move messages between folders several times, it will save a copy for each of these moves, since move copies then purges the original message.

This can solve problems within the past week. If you performed a restore at least once a week and then transferred the restored folders to your PC, this would conceivably save everything possible. But this is overkill, in my opinion. I'm just happy to have one week of backup quickly available for free so that I can recover from any foolish thing I might do.

Rob Mueller told me he would try to document and publicize this new feature soon. It's still in beta, but I have tried it and it seems to work great!

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2010, 03:05 PM   #3
jgoldberg

What I describe here is not for most people. But this is what I would do if I felt that I needed a back-up beyond what is on fastmail.

(1) Set up your own IMAP server locally (or where ever you want your back-ups)

(2) Use imapsync
http://freshmeat.net/projects/imapsync/
to maintain your local backup.

Note that running your own IMAP server is a substantial undertaking.
jgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2010, 10:03 AM   #4
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
There have been a lot of threads about backing up Fastmail accounts...not much about restoring...

I'm interested in protecting against my idiocy more than I am trying to protect against Fastmail going down...

Here's what I've learned, I think:

1. IMAPSize is mentioned often. However, it doesn't mirror what's on Fastmail...any changes (such as moving or deleting an email) on Fastmail are NOT reflected in the IMAPSize backup. It would be unbelievably painful to have to reconstruct my FM account from an IMAPSize backup.

2. Thunderbird's "offline" mode has been mentioned. That would mirror FM. BUT, if I idiotically delete emails or a folder, Thunderbird will dutifully mirror my idiocy! Not good!

I think what I'd love to find is a way of "snapshotting." In other words, work non-destructively the way IMAPSize does, but have the ability to say "take me back to the way FM was 3 weeks ago."

Anyone found a way to accomplish this?
Run imapsize or mailstore daily and save to a daily incremental backup on a server or portable hard drive.

Which reminds me... Time to do another system backup...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Shelded

I like CL's idea.

Mine is not too different. I don't use OE at all except for backup purposes. Each time you synch OE (or TB) you get an opportunity to copy everything to DVD's or removable drives. If you choose to do it you are more worried than I am; it is sufficient to me to have periodic copies of OE and the Fastmail server backup. Restoring from OE is a piece of cake.

I think running a local IMAP server does nothing more for you than some of the other ideas; but you could use IMAPSIZE to routinely reload another IMAP server with a copy of everything.

I generally do not move things around after they arrive, other than to Trash them.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 08:56 AM   #6
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

I just got through doing a backup using mailstore... Quite quick and easy to do. The files are compressed too, and it ends up being about half the size indicated in Fastmail.

Mailstore captures more data than ImapSize. Do people like imapsize because the data is stored as individual text files, and therefore is a more open system?

/cl
Old 10 Jan 2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Shelded

Uh, can you restore via Mailstore? It's great for achival.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 10:49 AM   #8
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
Uh, can you restore via Mailstore? It's great for achival.
Looks like you can export a mailstore backup to an IMAP mailbox or: individual files, outlook, exchange, thunderbird, seamonkey, windows mail, an email address via smtp....

Seems much more user-friendly and developed than ImapSize. UI is much prettier too. Archived about 18000 messages very quickly. Connects via ssl...

/cl
Old 10 Jan 2010, 10:51 AM   #9
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

((Had forgotten this thread was about restoring.... ))