EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Aug 2002, 05:05 AM   #16
o0o
Cornerstone of the Community

Looks like it is back up.
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 05:06 AM   #17
kwiniec

Thumbs up

Everything seems to be back up.
kwiniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 05:06 AM   #18
rakhesh

It works again, suddenly.

Rakhesh
rakhesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 05:10 AM   #19
psalzer

Yipee! It might have done one of those self-correcting things. I guess we'll find out later..or in my case tomorrow. My computer is very, very sick and I won't have it at home tonight.

They have a few different people in different time zones to page them if things are down. I think the system will automatically page them under certain circumstances, too.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 05:57 AM   #20
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

The problem was caused by a horrible web-bot from AltaVista. It looped from the login page to the signup page and back again in an infinite loop. It did this from 128 different IPs, so our normal IP throttling was defeated. The enormous number of accesses caused our session storage to fill up (we use a RAM disk for session storage for speed, but as a result it doesn't have much room). Once that filled up, no new sessions could be created, so our test script failed. The test script tried to rectify the problem, but couldn't, because the persistent AltaVista 'bot kept filling up the session storage.

We ended up getting paged 5 times--once by each front-end server, and twice by our helpful server monitors.

We blocked the IP range of AV's 'bot, cleaned up the session storage, and restarted the web server. Rob is looking into how we can improve our IP tracking to handle distributed attacks better, and we've added AV's bot to our banned-useragents list.

Oh BTW, our new server just arrived!
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 06:54 AM   #21
MikeL
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
The problem was caused by a horrible web-bot from AltaVista. It looped from the login page to the signup page and back again in an infinite loop. It did this from 128 different IPs, so our normal IP throttling was defeated.
Do you have any idea why?!? I thought AltaVista was a reputable organization. Or did they get hacked and turned loose on you?

Cheers,
Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 07:50 AM   #22
o0o

Jeremy,

Just curious, why would this have hung the IMAP servers, and not just the web proxies? Also, how did server2 remain immune?

Thx.
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 08:21 AM   #23
mklose

oOo, I think I can make an educated guess here:

they probably have the whole of /var (apart from some subdirs, most notably /var/spool which they probably have extra disks for) as the ram disk.

Basically nothing works anymore if /var is full as this is where most applications store their status information.
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 08:34 AM   #24
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Nice try, but you guessed wrong!...

The problem was that the corrective action taken by the test script included trying to restart the IMAP server. This failed to complete inside the timeout because so much other stuff was going on, so the system just paged us instead of going any further. We left IMAP down for a few minutes while we checked the source of the problem.

So IMAP wasn't down as long as the web interface--only between the test script trying and failing and paging us, and us deciding it was safe to bring it up again.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 10:59 AM   #25
mklose

I can't always be right *grin*
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote