EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Aug 2016, 03:26 PM   #31
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcom View Post
That really sounds like an advertisement, but look - I already had all of this for $25, why should I pay $50 all of a sudden?
Well as I have stated before on another thread anything under the $25 subscription fastmail would not be making any money, at $25 they just about break even.

But yea I suppose it looks like a big jump, but they have to survive.

Personally I would have put it up a little each year for everyone and that would have stopped a lot of people from jumping up and down.

The thing I hate the most is it's an Australian company and I have to pay in US dollars so $50 becomes $66...I find that so stupid. I mean I could post them an Aussie cheque.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 04:28 PM   #32
marshsparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
As far as domain hosting with FastMail goes, the family plan pricing was an anomaly.
Not necessarily domain hosting, just email hosting using an existing domain name. My domain name isn't hosted by FM, I just set the MX records to point to FM servers.

I don't like to do this, but just for comparison, Runbox will add blocks of five domain names for $4.75, even if the account does not include such a feature by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
My criticism of the new pricing is that it greatly increases the marginal cost of additional accounts if you use your own domain. I can see paying the $20 difference between a basic and standard account for the first account in a domain, but paying an extra $20 for each additional account quickly adds up for users like me for which even the basic account is overkill.
... and ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Well as I have stated before on another thread anything under the $25 subscription fastmail would not be making any money, at $25 they just about break even.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that FM prices should be frozen forever, but there is no way that the incremental cost to FM of adding a second Standard account is the same cost to FM as the primary Standard account (for example).
marshsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 08:13 PM   #33
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
All protocols are available on all the new plans.
Thank you, Rob.

I would suggest that you make that clear in "Billing & Plan" under the "Settings" account web page. Since POP3 isn't included, one would surmise that it was dropped from the new plans.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 09:58 PM   #34
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
All protocols are available on all the new plans.
Rob, could you itemize for us what's available on the new plans but not on legacy?

eg. Setting login username to one's own domain (silently fails).

It would be good to know which might be pricing/marketing decisions and which system limitations.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 05:34 AM   #35
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
Please open a support ticket about this one, with steps to reproduce it. I'm not sure if its supposed to be possible, but I'm pretty sure "silent failure" is always a bug.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 07:48 AM   #36
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Late to the discussion -- I read most of the first thread and can understand why some folks were upset, especially for family plan users who have to pay much more to upgrade... and they also have an uncertain future as to how long FM will allow their legacy accounts to exist.

For me, I also have a family account, and yes, for me, the price will increase. At first I definitely didn't like the impact of this... but on the other hand, if FM is losing money on some of those accounts, I'd much rather FM stay in business. :-)

So as much as I don't like paying more for the family account -- and I also don't like the fact that I can't mix and match account types inside a family any more, I do understand why they are doing it. I want FM to remain in business... and they do not strike me as money-hungry greedy slimeballs -- my guess is we're still pretty close to the margin and FM does offer some special features I can't get anywhere else.

@Robn - What I'd really like to know is how long the legacy accounts will be allowed to be renewed... and what features will be phased out or limited? Maybe Robn can't predict precisely, but surely they have a rough road map of what is going to happen, and we can get a basic idea of what to expect... 1-2-3-4 years? Will all new features only go to the new accounts? Further info about this would be very much appreciated.

As for the cost increase for family accounts, and the fact that we can't mix and match any more, I guess I will live with that... just please let me know roughly how long I have on the legacy plans...

And in fact, I ran all the scenarios of how much it will cost to upgrade, and yes I will pay more... which is a noticeable increase... I won't go into details, but I figured out a somewhat messy way to essentially get around the "no mixing and matching" limitation -- and that is to simply detach the most expensive accounts from the main FM group and set them up as a new "family" -- so you basically have two groups. Not ideal, and you can't share certain features (especially domain features) that way if I understand it correctly, but it can mitigate the cost.

And in my case, I figured out a way to actually REDUCE my cost, by doing a combination of detaching and upgrading/downgrading and maintaining some legacy accounts, and I actually will save a few bucks, at least until they terminate legacy accounts! Since I don't share domain features across all the accounts, it might work out a bit better that way for me for a while. :-)

All in all, my view is that if these changes make FM more solvent, then I'm willing to stick it out with them, since I think they are one of the last best independent services out there, and I still have confidence in their direction. Frankly, I like 90% of the changes they've made since they bought themselves back from Opera, and I hope they stay independent and solvent for many years to come.

Last edited by ioneja : 31 Aug 2016 at 08:10 AM.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 08:01 AM   #37
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post

It would be good to know which might be pricing/marketing decisions and which system limitations.
Quote:
Please open a support ticket about this one, with steps to reproduce it. I'm not sure if its supposed to be possible, but I'm pretty sure "silent failure" is always a bug.
I would, but personally don't need that ability. I did confirm the attempt fails on my Enhanced account.

Others have been affected, as was posted in the original thread.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...&postcount=170
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...&postcount=178
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...&postcount=182
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...&postcount=192
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2016, 11:59 PM   #38
north

old "Enhanced" is now new "Standard"?

Last edited by north : 3 Sep 2016 at 12:10 AM.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2016, 01:41 AM   #39
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
old "Enhanced" is now new "Standard"?
Yes, with more storage.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2016, 07:47 AM   #40
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Wow looks like the old UI may stay after all...

Perhaps people who only want to pay $25 a year can use that UI.

Last edited by Terry : 3 Sep 2016 at 09:38 AM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2016, 09:38 AM   #41
horatio8

I am very happy with the new plans. I just upgraded from an Enhanced account with extra storage paying $70 a year for 23gb (discounted for a 2 year commitment) to about $80 a year for the Professional plan for 100gb. $10 a year more for a 3x increase in storage is great for a service that has been continuously improving. My 2nd Enhanced account with less storage needs will stay on the grandfathered plan so all good there as well.

From a business point of view, I think simplifying the plans makes sense. It also seems that Fastmail mispriced the Family Accounts and needed to correct that error. I hope these changes help Fastmail maintain a profitable and stable service for many years to come.
horatio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2016, 10:36 PM   #42
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
It also seems that Fastmail mispriced the Family Accounts and needed to correct that error.
Indeed. I think a lot of people (ab)used the family account as a way to get domain support on a Lite plan for $15 to avoid paying $40 per year for an enhanced account.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2016, 04:41 AM   #43
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
It also seems that Fastmail mispriced the Family Accounts and needed to correct that error.
But now it seems FastMail erred in the opposite direction. Before the price was too low; now it's too high.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2016, 02:41 PM   #44
johnsmithsen

Email

I don't see the big deal. existing customers get to keep renewing at their old prices and new users will have to pay 10-15 bucks more a year or so depending on the plan. seems much ado about nothing.
johnsmithsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2016, 01:13 AM   #45
rbeltz48

Fastmail Changes

I have been using Fastmail for more than 8 years and before it became a paid service. I always liked the classic interface. But it has been changed several times and it drives me crazy every time it changes. I hate the new interface and the "new" classic interface. Why won't they leave well enough alone? Though FM has been very reliable overall, If they eliminate the classic look, I may change to another provider. I have always subscribed to the tried and true philosophy, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why oh why is FM always "fixing" it??
rbeltz48 is offline   Reply With Quote