EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Nov 2006, 01:21 AM   #1
Aimlink
Master of the @

New polling method

I've noted that the polling for mail feature is different in that the selected folder is the one that is chosen for polling when the poll link is clicked on.

I was then hoping that I could select another folder, hit the poll link, and then see another polling window appear. In so doing, I could have multiple folders being polled. However, it's the same one that is updated to be polling the newly selected folder.

What a pity.

Still able to poll only one folder at a time.

I find it really difficult to understand why an autorefresh every x minutes feature cannot be made available.

I hit the refresh button manually.

Is it bandwidth or server overworking issues that makes such a feature not appear after all this time? Instead of seeing it, we are now seeing folder specific polling?
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Nov 2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Shelded

Used to be it was only the Inbox which was polled, but I guess you are saying others will poll now. In any case, we don't miss this because we instead use fastcheck. It can read the subject and the sender in spoken language if you like, so I don't know why FM needs to spend resources on making a refresh within the browser. If you're a linux user I suppose you might be in a pickle.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2006, 04:09 PM   #3
newhampshire

Quote:
It can read the subject and the sender in spoken language if you like
Shelded, do you mean fastcheck will "say" in a pseudo-voice?

If so, how do you do this? I've searched all features and do not see this. Is it a custom script of some sort?
newhampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Shelded

http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php/FastCheckScripts

Perhaps this will get you going. I used to have the Merlin guy come out and read the subject and senders to me aloud. If you have Windows, that is. It was fun for an evening and then of course I got annoyed with it. But a little tweaking and it really would be an effective thing for whatever your interest is. It can tell you the subject, sender, folder, etc.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelded
Used to be it was only the Inbox which was polled, but I guess you are saying others will poll now. In any case, we don't miss this because we instead use fastcheck. It can read the subject and the sender in spoken language if you like, so I don't know why FM needs to spend resources on making a refresh within the browser. If you're a linux user I suppose you might be in a pickle.
This is the problem with those sorts of third party solutions for a service that is used by people working on different platforms. I'm a Mac user, so FastCheck will not work for me. I still have to depend on the central solution, i.e., polling.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 09:43 PM   #6
mentiro

Although FastCheck doesn't work in Linux, there are a variety of Linux-based mail checking utilities they can use.

For example, the following utility supports IMAP polling and the IDLE extension:
http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
mentiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 01:29 AM   #7
Aimlink
Master of the @

Has any Mac user found a mail check notifier that will check all FastMail account folders for new mail?

I've been doing some looking around and found nothing suitable for the current Mac OS X version.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Shelded

If you are a full or enhanced subscriber you can POP each folder (separately however )

So you could use any POP client you like.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:51 PM   #9
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
If you are a full or enhanced subscriber you can POP each folder (separately however )

So you could use any POP client you like.
wow!
Old 8 Jun 2007, 11:17 PM   #10
Shelded

Let me backtrack a bit. I know Enhanced can do this, I suppose it's possible Full cannot.

I use mail.messagingengine.com port 995
username+folder@fastmail.fm
Old 9 Jun 2007, 03:00 AM   #11
Aimlink
Master of the @

Maybe I can find a POP checker somewhere. I know there's a plethora for Windows, but not so much for the Mac. There are quite a few, though not many are maintained.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 11:58 PM   #12
drchadwick

Quote:
In any case, we don't miss this because we instead use fastcheck.
And by "we" I guess you mean Windows users, because Fastcheck also doesn't work on OS X.

Having the mail window auto-refresh -- without resorting to extra software, annoying little pop-up windows, etc -- is a very basic feature. If the pop-up "polling" window has the ability to check the inbox every few minutes, why is this not just built in to the actual main interface.
drchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 04:26 AM   #13
Shelded

OS X, Mac, Linux, that point has been clearly made earlier that Fastcheck is for Windows only and yes that stinks. But you made that decision when you went with OS X and I stayed with Windows and its virii & worms.

You dislike popups but that is exactly what other people think is cool about the poll window -- a small window off to the side which autoupdates. I agree it would be nice to have a monkey to bump the Refresh button in the main window every 5 minutes, we should suggest that.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 04:33 AM   #14
drchadwick

Quote:
OS X, Mac, Linux, that point has been clearly made earlier that Fastcheck is for Windows only and yes that stinks. But you made that decision when you went with OS X and I stayed with Windows and its virii & worms.
As I said, this is the problem with relying on outside software for a feature which ought to be included. And for the record, I never "went with" OS X -- I've been Apples since middle school 25 years ago.

Quote:
You dislike popups but that is exactly what other people think is cool about the poll window -- a small window off to the side which autoupdates. I agree it would be nice to have a monkey to bump the Refresh button in the main window every 5 minutes, we should suggest that.
I take issue with your sarcastic tone. And you're supposedly a "moderator"? Please. I'm suggesting something which works seamlessly on Gmail (and other systems, I suspect) -- a mailbox window which accurately reflects whether or not there's new mail or not. As for the job of "monkey", are you offering your services?
drchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 04:37 AM   #15
Shelded

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis View Post
Maybe I can find a POP checker somewhere. I know there's a plethora for Windows, but not so much for the Mac. There are quite a few, though not many are maintained.
Maybe you could use a web-based POP checker. They exist outside of competing mail services as well as being features within other mail services. Use the links supplied by the forum here to look into those. http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_pop.htm

==========
I see my opinion of the need for the refresh has changed during the course of the thread! I'm convinced by you guys!