EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Dec 2002, 09:54 PM   #1
Tango
Cornerstone of the Community

Latest news

Cool, up-to-date "latest news" are out!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Dec 2002, 12:26 AM   #2
Heartz
Essential Contributor

One of my friends just asked me what a JS browser was... perhaps you should mention Java Script ?

Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2002, 12:51 AM   #3
MailDaemon
= Permanently banned =

Re: Latest news

Quote:
Originally posted by Tango
Cool, up-to-date "latest news" are out!
Huh? Where??????????????
MailDaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2002, 01:03 AM   #4
iansz

I think they mean the messages at the bottom of the screen just after you login to the web interface.
iansz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2002, 01:11 AM   #5
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Or go to http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/latestnews.html
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2002, 05:27 AM   #6
sjk
Master of the @

Thanks much for adding that concise change summary! I hope non-forum-reading FM users appreciate it, too. 'Tis a bit small on the login screen, which I think could use some uncluttering... but that's another topic.

Consistently (bi-weekly or so) adding new items to the login and latest news pages would be one way for more customers to realize they're using a dynamic site/service, something which is already over-obvious to us forum freaks.

Change-phobics may disagree, but I think that adds positive visibility to the FM team's accomplishments and efforts. I wouldn't want to be a paying subscriber to any provider of "fast-paced" services that seemingly operates in a vacuum.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2002, 04:20 AM   #7
reuben
Essential Contributor

TURN IT OFF?

ok. its now december 13th. i've read december 11th's latest news. and for 2 months i've been looking at october 9th's latest news. i don't need to keep seeing it. is there any possible way to quell the repeated appearance of the latest news on the inbox screen? i know it's kind of OCD of me, but i can't believe i'm not the only one who feels this way!
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2002, 04:37 AM   #8
injinuity

Re: TURN IT OFF?

Quote:
Originally posted by reuben
ok. its now december 13th. i've read december 11th's latest news. and for 2 months i've been looking at october 9th's latest news. i don't need to keep seeing it. is there any possible way to quell the repeated appearance of the latest news on the inbox screen? i know it's kind of OCD of me, but i can't believe i'm not the only one who feels this way!
You are not alone brother........ I too feel the same way.... Id suggest the use of a cookie for this... if a person has read/logged in more than 3 times since the latest news was added then the next time he logs in.. it should not be displayed..

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2002, 04:39 AM   #9

Lightbulb Reuben's Right

Why can't the latest news be the LATEST news? Is there any way the FM staff can purge old news after say three or five days? As Ben Franklin once noted, "guests, like fish, go bad after three days." Consequently, a latest news bulletin that's more than a few days old should be deleted--or have the option of being deleted--as it's no longer current or newsworthy. Just my two pfennings.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 08:05 AM   #10
sjk
Master of the @

I think dated news items on the home page should only remain there for "a few" weeks. If there's nothing new then state that explicitly as a dated item (for the impression of dynamic non-change ) and always have a link to the news archive page for reviewing older items.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2002, 11:59 PM   #11
Dave P in StLouis

Thumbs up I agree

I agree. As the more-or-less official webmaster for the church I attend, I update the "news" page at least every two weeks, even if it just means deleting old items.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2002, 12:42 AM   #12
Tango

If my memory serves me correctly...I remember seeing, on logging in, the line "new changes since you last logged in"...but only once or twice many months ago. Was it a feature they had experimented with and never implemented?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2002, 01:20 PM   #13
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
There's always 4 news items (+ the December special at the moment). I'm going to leave it at that, but I think I'll try and add stuff to the news more often, even if it is smaller stuff.

Now with Nico working for us full time, I think we actually will have more features to release more often

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2002, 07:10 AM   #14
reuben
Essential Contributor

rob et al: great!

just curious what you guys thought about the other part of this thread -- the possible turning off of "Latest News Summary" altogether for those still not interested (as this information can be received by email instead)?

thanks.
PS the service has been excellent recently.

-reuben
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2002, 11:20 AM   #15
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
It's only shown once just after you login. I don't think it's really necessary to create a whole new preference just to hide it...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote