EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Oct 2007, 04:59 PM   #151
Patrick Larrson

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboot View Post
I cannot believe the kerfuffle about ten lousy dollars for the increased storage. For me, this was a very pleasant surprise
$10 more is a very pleasant surprise for you?

Well then... I suggest you pay generously much more than what's needed for your Enhanced account, giving yourself some more pleasure!
Patrick Larrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 12:07 AM   #152
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Do I understand correctly that you are one of the few beta testers of the small business/family accounts?
I am one of the beta testers; I've been testing things from a family perspective, as I manage accounts and domains for several family members. Rob solicited beta testers in an EMD thread a couple of months ago.

Functionally, I think it's ready enough for my family to use. Pricing & resource allocations are/were under review. They're now more in-line with (but not the same as) regular FM accounts than they were last month.

As to how few/many beta testers there are, Rob would be the one to answer that question.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:43 AM   #153
beq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
Functionally, I think it's ready enough for my family to use. Pricing & resource allocations are/were under review. They're now more in-line with (but not the same as) regular FM accounts than they were last month.
Interesting, are you allowed to tell us about the prices and features?
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:49 AM   #154
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Larrson View Post
Well then... I suggest you pay generously much more than what's needed for your Enhanced account, giving yourself some more pleasure!
This is not considered funny here. Leave personal attacks and sarcasms out of the debate, and discuss the point at hand. Read through the whole thread, and see the moderator warning against it in this thread.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 06:07 AM   #155
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beq View Post
Interesting, are you allowed to tell us about the prices and features?
Would prices / information about this be released before the close out of the $40 enhanced pricing? I'm thinking of going from full to enhanced now (before they go up) but had also been keeping an eye out for detail of the family account plan.

Actually come to think of it, Rob only said they would be going up in November. Any specific date I need to make my decision by? Nov 1? Nov 30th?
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:25 AM   #156
pcs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMRocks View Post
This is not considered funny here. Leave personal attacks and sarcasms out of the debate, and discuss the point at hand. Read through the whole thread, and see the moderator warning against it in this thread.
Well, considering the circumstances, some might find it mildly amusing. I'm sure the moderators know when to step in and when not to.
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:54 AM   #157
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
Well, considering the circumstances, some might find it mildly amusing. I'm sure the moderators know when to step in and when not to.
They have - page 7, comment 98 - on an almost identical comment (that was directed at me).
Old 24 Oct 2007, 08:03 AM   #158
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment - number 2

My original comment was lost in the huge barrage of postings. Here it is again:

This thread is pretty lengthy and has to do with money we spend. That may be a touchy combination that insights strong emotions.
Please remember this and stay away from comments that may be construed as personal or derogatory. In this situation it's very important to stay on the thread's subject.

If we will drift away from the subject again, I'll have to lock this thread! Please no personal comments!!!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 08:40 AM   #159
pcs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
They have - page 7, comment 98 - on an almost identical comment (that was directed at me).
That was exactly my point, it's probably best to leave the moderating to the moderators, as they seem quite capable.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 02:45 PM   #160
acid

I'll have to agree with theboot here, considering all the value adds they are continuously adding at no charge (50 domains, photo gallery, bayes db, replication, dns, etc...), they've earned my extra $10. It's like $4.15 a month for something I use 20+ times a day.

Not to mention that a) you are getting a large increase (especially needed on file quota IMO) on disk space, and b) you still have option to pay $40 a year if you act in time.

Some people just wont be happy until all the employee's and their families are living off of vienna sausages so they can save 50 more cents.
acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:00 PM   #161
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
That was exactly my point, it's probably best to leave the moderating to the moderators, as they seem quite capable.
Members of the forum are well within their rights to point out when a rule is being violated and to ask fellow members to stop. The reason these forums seldom require moderation is that members have a vested interest in and appreciation for this forum, they self regulate and remind each other of the need to keep conversations on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid View Post
Not to mention that a) you are getting a large increase (especially needed on file quota IMO) on disk space, and b) you still have option to pay $40 a year if you act in time.
This is the best part. I usually renew my subscription 2 years at a time, but I'm going to take advantage of it this time and get a 5 year renewal.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:37 PM   #162
pcs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Members of the forum are well within their rights to point out when a rule is being violated and to ask fellow members to stop. The reason these forums seldom require moderation is that members have a vested interest in and appreciation for this forum, they self regulate and remind each other of the need to keep conversations on topic.
I believe that you mean well, but I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the situation. First, I know that you probably think that you have all sorts of rights on this message board (including the "right" in your statement), but I am unclear as to where you are getting them from. The forum rules do not mention this new right that you have bestowed upon yourself. In fact, I would posit that since "Moderation decisions are FINAL" (and to my knowledge you are not a moderator or site owner), the evidence countervails what you have asserted here. Of course our real difference of opinion is whether those rules were being violated in the first place (something best left to a moderator to determine).

You essentially took on moderation duties when you replied to a fellow forum member (their statement had not even been addressed to you in the first place) and told them "This is not considered funny here." You then went even further and accused them of a serious "personal attack." Now, while I found the sarcasm to be mild (and saw no sign of what could reasonably be called a personal attack), you obviously saw a much greater danger to the well being of this message board. Your exuberance is appreciated, but neither of us are moderators, so once again, let's agree to leave it up to those actually entitled with such responsibilities.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:42 PM   #163
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
You know, we have talked this issue to death.

Maybe it is time to stop beating this horse, unless there is something new to be said (that hasn't been said on the last 10 pages of posts).

It's getting hot in here anyway.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 05:16 PM   #164
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
First, I know that you probably think that you have all sorts of rights on this message board (including the "right" in your statement), but I am unclear as to where you are getting them from. The forum rules do not mention this new right that you have bestowed upon yourself.
Uhh... pointing out that a rule is being violated does not itself violate any rules. Hence, I have the right to point it out. Non-moderators have done this forever. It is absolutely inaccurate to claim that only moderators may point out when personal attacks are occurring or when a rule is being violated.

Quote:
In fact, I would posit that since "Moderation decisions are FINAL" (and to my knowledge you are not a moderator or site owner), the evidence countervails what you have asserted here.
If you can point out any place where I have asserted that I have moderation duties or privileges, you would have a point.

Quote:
Of course our real difference of opinion is whether those rules were being violated in the first place (something best left to a moderator to determine).
The rules in question were 3 of them: politeness, no personal attacks, and staying on topic. Given that a moderator warned of closing the thread unless we stay on topic and repeatedly against personal attacks (or anything that could be viewed as such), I'd say a moderator agreed that something wasn't going right in this thread.

Quote:
You essentially took on moderation duties
Umm, no. I pointed out something being perpetuated after explicit moderator warning being issued against it.

Quote:
their statement had not even been addressed to you in the first place
My statement wasn't addressed to you either, but you commented on it nonetheless. That's your right, and commenting on someone else's post that wasn't directed at me is my right.

Quote:
Your exuberance is appreciated, but neither of us are moderators, so once again, let's agree to leave it up to those actually entitled with such responsibilities.
Moderation duties ARE left up to moderators. But any member may, and will, point out when he or she believes a violation of the rules is occurring.

In any case, I'm thinking ChinaLamb above is right. This thing is going around the world twice and back. I think I made my point. I stand by my comments - both on substance and on conduct, but I'll end it here. Unless there is more substantive stuff, I won't be commenting anymore on this thread.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 05:20 PM   #165
ankupan

Hi,

This thread should have Poll for better opinion of people.

So one can just see the Poll and have the complete idea of this thread.

Is it making some sense ?
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote