EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:55 PM   #31
eric78190

I did not know they were on twitter ! A last some information !

Thanks for the link.

Eric.
eric78190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:03 AM   #32
viberama

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzler View Post
RunboxCom tweets:

Final systems check before services come up

1 hour ago

see: http://twitter.com/#!/RunboxCom
There are obvious problems here. 3 hours past the due date isn't just about bringing the systems back online. There's obviously issues and int he mean time, we are unable to conduct business. Not cool at all. I've resisted hosting my own e-mail server but this just might push me over the edge. They are definately stalling here.
viberama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:06 AM   #33
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We're having DNS problems in the new data center, but we think we'll have web and SMTP up shortly.

We know we're on overtime and we're working hard to get everything up as soon as humanly possible!

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:16 AM   #34
puzzler

Geir: If you give us the new IP for smtp.runbox.com we could at least send emails already!

Just for all interested:

a "whois runbox.com" gives you the standard 3 nameservers from linpro.net:

Domain servers in listed order:
NS-BAR.LINPRO.NET 213.186.49.244
NS-FOO.LINPRO.NET 87.238.32.254
NS-ZOO.LINPRO.NET 67.18.176.124

a "dig runbox.com @213.186.49.244" gives you the webserver address 174.133.205.221
and the subdomains "smtp" and "pop" still point to the old aibo machine:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
pop.runbox.com. 60 IN CNAME aibo.runbox.com.
aibo.runbox.com. 90 IN A 91.220.196.211

which is located with blixsolutions.no - a Norwegian hosting and backbone provider in oslo... so moving data centers finally will mean that the DNS entries should update soon. The 90 in above update section indicates a 90 seconds interval .... it could be that your uplink provider ignores that value and it might take up to a few hours until a new IP is propagated down to you ... I keep querying the DNS entries every 90 seconds and will update here, if something changes...

cheers,
P!

PS: correction - the timeout for the runbox subdomains is set to 300 seconds!

Last edited by puzzler : 15 Jun 2011 at 12:28 AM.
puzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:21 AM   #35
bipbop

Quote:
rules in software and network technology development and planning:

1) it will take at 100% longer than the brightest and best engineer has planned.

2) a crucial part that looks very good in theory will break under live conditions

3) the new system will run and break in the beginning several times

hmmm...
What he said. Excellent planning and a greater number of people doing the work, will not guarantee EXECUTION success. I'm glad I won't be eating crow anytime soon. I hear they taste awful.
bipbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:22 AM   #36
viberama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipbop View Post
What he said. Excellent planning and a greater number of people doing the work, will not guarantee EXECUTION success. I'm glad I won't be eating crow anytime soon.
You called it!! 3 extra stars for you
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:24 AM   #37
Jordi

Talking

This one works just perfect for me:

http://light.runbox.com

Give a try ,
Regards,

Jordi
Jordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:32 AM   #38
viberama

While I'm thinking about it. Can someone from Runbox answer why in the world, you'd completely shut down your servers and move them from one co-lo location to another? I've moved from one co-lo to another but I had seperate equipment in the other co-lo so I could test it and make sure it was working fine. The end user never noticed the dns switch because there was a duplicate set of servers at each co-lo facility. I sold off the old equipment once the dns completely propogated and I ended up getting all my new equipment for 50% of the cost plus I has the latest and greatest hardware at the time. Why wouldn't you do this or at least lease out servers at the old co-lo facility while you moved your equipment to the new co-lo?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:34 AM   #39
puzzler

jordi: excellent find, thanks... yet the mails there are not up to date :-/ - at least i can send some verification mails out, confirming that I am me...
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:41 AM   #40
bdboss

Still No Service

Am I doing something wrong? I haven't changed any settings but I still cannot send mail. It is 11:41 EST
bdboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:43 AM   #41
viberama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdboss View Post
Am I doing something wrong? I haven't changed any settings but I still cannot send mail. It is 11:41 EST
No, they are having problems. All the planning in the world and there's still problems. DNS is the sticking point right now according to Runbox. It could be a while
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:44 AM   #42
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Just back from the Data Center

We have completed the move, systems check and are minutes away from switching over. We will have some intermittent POP/IMAP issues + slowness while data moves into RAM.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:44 AM   #43
puzzler

@bdboss: no you are not doing something wrong, runbox is!

@kim: thanks!
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:47 AM   #44
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by viberama View Post
While I'm thinking about it. Can someone from Runbox answer why in the world, you'd completely shut down your servers and move them from one co-lo location to another? I've moved from one co-lo to another but I had seperate equipment in the other co-lo so I could test it and make sure it was working fine. The end user never noticed the dns switch because there was a duplicate set of servers at each co-lo facility. I sold off the old equipment once the dns completely propogated and I ended up getting all my new equipment for 50% of the cost plus I has the latest and greatest hardware at the time. Why wouldn't you do this or at least lease out servers at the old co-lo facility while you moved your equipment to the new co-lo?
We have much to many servers, too much data, too complex systems and we would constantly be migrating data that could cause system integrity issues causing rollbacks.

Kim
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:49 AM   #45
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Geir: If you give us the new IP for smtp.runbox.com we could at least send emails already!
We thought about offering open SMTP, but the risk is just too high as million of emails could go out blacklisting our users.

Kim